the fj11 drips oil on hot parts causing smoke when i ride

Started by mtc, April 02, 2019, 12:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtc

Quote from: Bill_Rockoff on April 03, 2019, 03:32:29 PM
Checking the lash is easy. (You just have to rotate the crank until the cams are pointing away from the valves for that cylinder, try to slip different-thickness feeler gauges in each one until you find the size that slips between the cam and the shim, and that's your clearance. You can check four valves for that cylinder, then rotate and check the four valves on the next cylinder, then the next one, then the next one.)

Changing the shims, if needed(*), is a bit more involved, because you have to rotate the crank until the cams are pointing *toward* (and pressing down on) the valves, and then you have to bolt the Valve Adjustment Tool into place to hold that valve down, then you rotate the crank some more to get the cam out of the way while the Valve Adjustment Tool holds the valve down. This gives you room to pop the shim out and slip a new one in there.

(*) There are 16 valves. Most of the times I've checked, I've needed to change zero of them. A few times, I've found one or two that needed to be changed, and only a couple of times did I find three or four that needed to be changed.

Either way, a new valve cover gasket and a new set of valve cover bolt grommets should keep the oil from leaking onto the cylinder head and exhaust pipes, and then your bike won't mimic a barbeque grill at stoplights.

Good luck.

- Bill

you nailed it, bbq grill smoking at stop lights, i guess when moving the smoke clears

yeah i am gona check the lash

and i guess you guys deduced without my visual as to where the oil was coming from that is is the top gasket, saves me trouble bc i tired looking again today on the relatively clean motor and saw nothing

best case i see where the specs are with the lash,

worse case leak is still there

sounds like a good case to switch out parts to see if it's fixed, going back to being 16 years old
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1979 Yamaha XS1100 best one
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Live Life Wrong and Perspire

mtc

Quote from: RPM - Robert on April 03, 2019, 02:02:31 PM
Did you try these guys? RPM in stock and to you in socal in a day or two.

rpm is great, but knowing me and my frugal self, i am ashamed to admit, i always shop around for a bargain, hope i don't offend anyone for being that way
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

copper

I don't think they take offense at someone saving a few bucks. Personally for me, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to help support the guys who help keep our bikes running with their parts, customer support, & simply the knowledge provided. Instead of giving money to some corporation that doesn't give a damn about keeping your bike together because they sell everything from kazoos to muffler bearings and everything in between.

Millietant

I'm with Copper on this, although being in the UK makes it impractical for me to buy my parts from RPM.

I know I can save a few pennies by shopping around for the lowest price, but I value service and assistance much more highly than cheapest parts. Although I do most of my maintenance myself, I buy parts from a small number of people/friends who I know and trust - and who I know I can turn to for advice (of the odd special tool) when I need it - or for specific parts I need quickly.

If I lived in the US, I'd buy all my parts from RPM.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

RPM - Robert

Quote from: mtc on April 03, 2019, 03:50:56 PM
Quote from: RPM - Robert on April 03, 2019, 02:02:31 PM
Did you try these guys? RPM in stock and to you in socal in a day or two.

rpm is great, but knowing me and my frugal self, i am ashamed to admit, i always shop around for a bargain, hope i don't offend anyone for being that way

No offense taken here.  :drinks:

mtc

Quote from: copper on April 03, 2019, 04:21:48 PM
I don't think they take offense at someone saving a few bucks. Personally for me, I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to help support the guys who help keep our bikes running with their parts, customer support, & simply the knowledge provided. Instead of giving money to some corporation that doesn't give a damn about keeping your bike together because they sell everything from kazoos to muffler bearings and everything in between.

i agree, i just bought the bike, with that and insurance, dmv fees and tax, and now tires, it is adding up, i want to save were i can and when the time comes i want to purchase some rpm specialty products, in the future, not now, but not all at once but a little at a time

right now i had the bike for 2 weeks and i want to give in a good pre flight inspection and fix the dangerous , fire hazards ( thank you fjowners, and potential grenading stuff

it had no front brakes with the grease on the front pad one of them..wtf scary 150 mile ride back home
ignition lock broke and key won't go it
pods that keep falling off
foam on the side covers turning to dust and getting sucked in the engine
dripping valve cover gasket, choking me out
dyna 2000 loose and blocking my new airbox
and now new tires, mounting a balance

$$$$$$$ for just a hobby, not gona race, just for weekends and not for commute, just to have around and putts around, and tinker with

all kinds of BS

the stuff i am considering are fork valves, cooler, fork brace, but have not finalized that until i spend some saddle time on the bike to see what is she all about

and i gotta pace myself with the mechanical work... it's called work...those parts just don't miraculously install themselves, take for instance the oil cooler, "drop oil pan and drop exhaust" omg

right now i am burdened with must do's... then the want to do... factoring my willingness to do, spending is just part of it

neglect is another approach , but no one here knows what that means lol

thank you all!
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Millietant

Sounds like you have a plan.....best of luck  :good:

Hopefully you don't get hit by the dreaded Moditis bug too soon !
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Paul.1478

for the valve adjustment just watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCa556ObEi8
also be careful if you have not done this before, there are clearance specifications for Inches and MM. be sure you are looking at the correct ones.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

mtc

Quote from: Paul.1478 on April 04, 2019, 06:29:01 AM
for the valve adjustment just watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCa556ObEi8
also be careful if you have not done this before, there are clearance specifications for Inches and MM. be sure you are looking at the correct ones.

ok thanks for helping
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor