News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

pucks or crash bars?

Started by mtc, April 03, 2019, 02:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtc

Quote from: Hersey289 on April 20, 2019, 07:16:45 PM
They will fit fine. Just start all the bolts so all are loose , then start evenly tightening all of them. The rear plate section that you are concerned with will conform/bend slightly to fitup to the frame. That is my experience with installing them on my '85.

Hope this helps,
Rob

the chrome plate i took off has a pipe in that area, it is protruding 1 inch out with the crash bar protrusion,  i can crank bolts down, but my looking at it it's gong to have to bend a lot to fit
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1979 Yamaha XS1100 best one
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Live Life Wrong and Perspire

Hersey289

I would suggest then that you tighten the rear bolt more than the front bolts to get better alignment onto the bung on the frame.

Rob

Hersey289

Quote from: Hersey289 on April 20, 2019, 07:44:50 PM
I would suggest then that you tighten the rear bolt more than the front bolts to get better alignment onto the bung on the frame.

Rob

Sorry, clarification: with rentec bar installed with all bolts loose, bias the rear bolt so that the rentec bar lines up better with the protruding pipe (bung). Once you have this alignment, then continue to evenly tighten all bolts to draw the bar into the frame..

mtc

Quote from: Hersey289 on April 20, 2019, 07:55:12 PM
Quote from: Hersey289 on April 20, 2019, 07:44:50 PM

Rob

Sorry, clarification: with rentec bar installed with all bolts loose, bias the rear bolt so that the rentec bar lines up better with the protruding pipe (bung). Once you have this alignment, then continue to evenly tighten all bolts to draw the bar into the frame..
Randy told me some of them need spacers, which i am not digging bc it will stick out for no good reason

thank you, but there is a huge gap between the rear strap and the foot peg bracket, it's going to take a lot to bend it to make it flush, as you can see in the picture

maybe someone can show me a picture of my problem solved or even with a spacer?
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

copper

I did not want to bend the back brackets. when i asked randy about he recommended installing a spacer in the hole for the rear bolt. i went down to the heradward store and got a steel bushing like this. i cant remeber because it has been a few years, but I think the 3/4 was a little to long and the tube wasnt touching the frame. i think i ended up with a 5/8

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F61ORWl6opFL._SX425_.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FHillman-Group-943075-Chrome-Spacers%2Fdp%2FB00O3GTPXA&docid=rFNVL7XXGgZXrM&tbnid=Lp1UNlCj7UjGQM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwigt4rx_d_hAhUmsFQKHQ9-ArgQMwiXASgDMAM..i&w=425&h=378&bih=1041&biw=2133&q=hillman%205%2F16%20steel%20spacer&ved=0ahUKEwigt4rx_d_hAhUmsFQKHQ9-ArgQMwiXASgDMAM&iact=mrc&uact=8

you said randy sent pictures of it what did he say spacers or no spacer?

mtc

Quote from: copper on April 20, 2019, 08:04:18 PM
I did not want to bend the back brackets. when i asked randy about he recommended installing a spacer in the hole for the rear bolt. i went down to the heradward store and got a steel bushing like this. i cant remeber because it has been a few years, but I think the 3/4 was a little to long and the tube wasnt touching the frame. i think i ended up with a 5/8

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages-na.ssl-images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F61ORWl6opFL._SX425_.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FHillman-Group-943075-Chrome-Spacers%2Fdp%2FB00O3GTPXA&docid=rFNVL7XXGgZXrM&tbnid=Lp1UNlCj7UjGQM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwigt4rx_d_hAhUmsFQKHQ9-ArgQMwiXASgDMAM..i&w=425&h=378&bih=1041&biw=2133&q=hillman%205%2F16%20steel%20spacer&ved=0ahUKEwigt4rx_d_hAhUmsFQKHQ9-ArgQMwiXASgDMAM&iact=mrc&uact=8

you said randy sent pictures of it what did he say spacers or no spacer?

does that tube have to touch the frame? wouldn't it chafe and make noise when riding? thanks for the link, will i need now bolt too now?

he showed me pics of no spacer, looks good, but i guess i am one of those unfortunate ones, if i can see how a spacer in one looks maybe i won't be so bummed
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Sparky84

Quote from: mtc on April 20, 2019, 07:00:18 PM
i need help , i bought them but they don't sit flush were it butts up against the frame in the back, i am thinking the flexing is going to chafe the bars and the frames

has anyone had this problem? and it appears it needs a spacer, and it going to end up sticking  out a lot, it doesn't seem right to me.....please assist

Randy sent me pictures of them mounted, anyone can send me a picture of what it should look like?

the read stand-off is too large and it's pushing the bar too far out, i think :dash1:

I thought that the renntec bar would have fitted into the hole in the frame!

But looks like it doesn't, so how do you stop the rub rash on the alloy underneath?
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

mtc

Quote from: Sparky84 on April 20, 2019, 08:40:05 PM
Quote from: mtc on April 20, 2019, 07:00:18 PM
i need help , i bought them but they don't sit flush were it butts up against the frame in the back, i am thinking the flexing is going to chafe the bars and the frames

has anyone had this problem? and it appears it needs a spacer, and it going to end up sticking  out a lot, it doesn't seem right to me.....please assist

Randy sent me pictures of them mounted, anyone can send me a picture of what it should look like?

the read stand-off is too large and it's pushing the bar too far out, i think :dash1:

I thought that the renntec bar would have fitted into the hole in the frame!

But looks like it doesn't, so how do you stop the rub rash on the alloy underneath?

i haven't the foggiest idea, looks like a bad design, it should fit in or out but nto be the same diameter as the round tube
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

racerrad8

Quote from: mtc on April 20, 2019, 08:51:41 PM
i haven't the foggiest idea, looks like a bad design, it should fit in or out but nto be the same diameter as the round tube

Mason,

I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with them. Please box them back up  and I'll send a call tag on monday to pick them up.

There is nothing wrong with the design,  they have been made the same way since I became a Renntec  dealer almost ten years ago. I have sold hundreds of them and have never had any complaints about the design.  Some people have used washers,  others use them as Rob has and others have used spacers like I told you in the email earlier today.

The tube is designed to sit flush against the frame to offer support in the event the bike goes down.  If they fit inside the frame,  the flat plate would not be able to support the weight.

I will call Monday to confirm they are ready to be picked up before completing the call tag.

And to answer your statement in  your email,  no you did not receive the late model bars,  they will not come close to lining up the holes. You received the correct bars,  but if you are not happy,  I'll get them sent back and return for money.

Randy  - RPM
Randy - RPM

mtc

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 20, 2019, 09:46:16 PM
Quote from: mtc on April 20, 2019, 08:51:41 PM

Mason,

I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with them. Please box them back up  and I'll send a call tag on monday to pick them up.

There is nothing wrong with the design,  they have been made the same way since I became a Renntec  dealer almost ten years ago. I have sold hundreds of them and have never had any complaints about the design.  Some people have used washers,  others use them as Rob has and others have used spacers like I told you in the email earlier today.

The tube is designed to sit flush against the frame to offer support in the event the bike goes down.  If they fit inside the frame,  the flat plate would not be able to support the weight.

I will call Monday to confirm they are ready to be picked up before completing the call tag.

And to answer your statement in  your email,  no you did not receive the late model bars,  they will not come close to lining up the holes. You received the correct bars,  but if you are not happy,  I'll get them sent back and return for money.

Randy  - RPM

I am not that great of a mechanic, when i started to install them, they looked like they don't fit and i got concerned and yes you sent me pictures of them fitting without spacers that is nice,

but to see ones with spacers would help a mechanically challenged dude like me.

and with explanations about getting spacers, but i still could not picture still how to do it, until about now, i might have heard vaguely they were included, but it didn't mean anything to me until i had the unit in my hand.

i don't understand why some need spacers and some not.

only now i understand since you  explained the 2 tubes have to meet to support the bike in a crash, now it make sense, i had not idea, no one explained it to me until now

so they have to meet flush? and will they chafe and make noise?

I had no idea they could have been chasing parts, call me lazy really lazy

I am going to look at it again in the next few days time permitting, and let you know, I already trashed the box so that is gone

I may stick a piece of wood in there to fill the gap, may have to measure the gap
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Sparky84

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 20, 2019, 09:46:16 PM
The tube is designed to sit flush against the frame to offer support in the event the bike goes down.  If they fit inside the frame,  the flat plate would not be able to support the weight.

Randy  - RPM

Now I can understand why they wouldn't go inside
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

racerrad8

I dug back into the corner of the shop to my 86 so I could snap a couple of photos. There is a spacer in there that fills the void/recessed hole on the 86 foot peg bracket. I got a spacer length the allowed the tube to butt against the frame and preload the flat bracket a little bit. There is zero movement, squeaking or any other issue.

The reason some require and other don't is the foot peg bracket itself. Some use recessed holes and others have factory rubber bushings installed.

Hopefully, this will ease the concerns.

Randy - RPM

Man, all of my bikes are dirty...

Randy - RPM

mtc

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 22, 2019, 12:19:13 PM
I dug back into the corner of the shop my 86 so I can snap a couple of photos. There is a spacer in there that fills the void/recessed hole on the 86 foot peg bracket. I got a spacer length the allowed the tube to butt against the frame and preload the flat bracket a little bit. There is zero movement, squeaking or any other issue.

The reason some require and other don't is the foot peg bracket itself. Some use recessed holes and others have factory rubber bushings installed.

Randy - RPM

,when i tried to fit it by myself at first , it did not, it's wrong ....so wrong year, raced in my mind

when you sent the the first pics, the first thing that came to mind is oh no, mine don't look like that at all

then,

i told myself no way am i gonna mickey mouse my bike

so with this recent picture, should did that to begin with.... all is good

ok i put a  coupla nuts in there and it works fine, i can actually pull on the bars to to align the holes

and screw it on there with the allen wrench and it's thight

i think it's better than pucks

btw, the fork brace i can feel the difference.....

thanks

on to the next pressing matter

Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

mtc

Quote from: mtc on April 22, 2019, 04:59:39 PM
Quote from: racerrad8 on April 22, 2019, 12:19:13 PM
I dug back into the corner of the shop my 86 so I can snap a couple of photos. There is a spacer in there that fills the void/recessed hole on the 86 foot peg bracket. I got a spacer length the allowed the tube to butt against the frame and preload the flat bracket a little bit. There is zero movement, squeaking or any other issue.

Randy - RPM

,when i tried to fit it by myself at first , it did not, it's wrong ....so wrong year, raced in my mind

when you sent the the first pics, the first thing that came to mind is oh no, mine don't look like that at all

then,

i told myself no way am i gonna mickey mouse my bike

so with this recent picture, should did that to begin with.... all is good

ok i put a  coupla nuts in there and it works fine, i can actually pull on the bars to to align the holes

and screw it on there with the allen wrench and it's thight

i think it's better than pucks

btw, the fork brace i can feel the difference.....

thanks

on to the next pressing matter

they look cool on there

but

question, does it have to match the pipe, cause, mine is not perfectly aligned, it guess it don't matter much until a crash

Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

racerrad8

Quote from: mtc on May 05, 2019, 11:47:40 PM
...question, does it have to match the pipe, cause, mine is not perfectly aligned, it guess it don't matter much until a crash

That is the manufacturing tolerance on both the motorcycle and then engine bars. Not all of them line up exactly.

BTW, were is the wiper seal for your fork?
Quote from: mtc on May 05, 2019, 11:47:40 PM

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM