News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Hello from the Yucatan Peninsula.

Started by FZAndy, April 06, 2019, 04:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FZAndy

Hello,

Thanks for having me. I currently have a Yamaha FZ16, FZ25, and a FZ1. I live in what many consider to be "paradise." The Riviera Maya, Cancun, Tulum and the north coast of Yucatan are all within a short ride from where I live. Though the destinations are great, the roads here in the peninsula are all straight and level. I have to take a multi-day ride to the mountains of Chiapas to find twisties.

I am looking at purchasing a 1989 FJ1200 in mint condition. It was imported from the USA by a trusted seller, but the seller is on the other side of the country. Therefore I can't just sit on it and answer my own questions about riding position. The burning question I have for the forum, and the reason I joined, is this: Is the riding position comfortable? I know this is a subjective question. To a rider who has only ever ridden an R1, he might find it very comfortable, while a Harley rider might not. So I thought of a popular bike that many might have ridden and I was hopping you might compare the ridding posture of the FJ1200 to that of the FZ/MT07. Many Mexican models are not available in the US and the contrary is also true, but we both have the wonderful FZ07. As I mentioned above, I own a FZ25. This is a 250 cc Yamaha FZ. It has an identical seating position to the FZ07. Even the relationship to the handle bars is the same. I've ridden the FZ07 for an extended trip with no discomfort. But I'm worried about whether the same would be true of the FJ1200. I also purchased my FZ1 from the same seller on the other coast. While it arrived in as good a condition as I expected, the riding position was far too aggressive for me. The nearly straight bar has me bent over too far and I have pain in my arms and back after only a couple of hours. I rode my FZ for 10 days straight last year on a 3000 km trip without any back or arm pain. That is why I'm asking.

So what you FJ owners say? Have you also ridden the FZ/MT07? How does the riding posture compare. Is the FJ more aggressive? Is it a sport oriented, bent over the tank ride? I'm too old for that and looking for something like the FZ's position. I love the look of the seat on the FJ. Seems very comfortable. I'm just worried I'm too old and out of shape to ride the FJ. You input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

FJ_Hooligan

The seating and bar position of the FJ is practically identical to the first generation FZ1 (2001 - 2005).

It sounds like you may have a second gen FZ1, 2006+.  If so, then I would agree that its riding position is too aggressive.

Personally, I think the FJ is a perfect platform.  I can ride it all day with a minimum of discomfort.  I do have a Corbin seat which makes a lot of difference.

I'm 61 years old.

DavidR.

FZAndy

Thanks for the info Hooligan. BTW, I have a first gen FZ1, but I'm not sure if the bar is original. It is almost straight with only a slight bend before where the mirrors and grips go. It has risers on the triple clamp. I suppose they are original. If the FJ's bars are like my FZ1, then its not for me. I'm sure its a great bike, that's why I'm considering it, but I need something more like the FZ07/MT07.

Any one ridden the MT07 and can compare?

Tuned forks

In addition to my 1990 FJ, I also own a 1990 FZR 1000.  Kinda a predecessor to the FZ1's  I think.  Anyway, the FZR riding position is very aggressive and not for touring.  The FJ has a more upright riding position and with RPM's handlebar risers, the riding position is even better.  I think you will be happy with a FJ.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ZOA NOM

Welcome aboard, you know you have to host a Rally when you join, right?

I commute 50 miles each way daily on mine, and the riding position is one of the main benefits of the FJ to me. It is a perfect balance of touring and sport.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJ_Hooligan

Sounds like the previous owner put a 2nd gen handlebar setup on it.

The second gen had a flat bar.  1st gen had risers and a bar with quite a bit of rise to it.  In fact, I thought it had too much rise so I installed a lower GYRT bar mount on it.

I still think the FJ is the most practical/comfortable bike I've ever ridden.  By that I mean it's the perfect balance between too far leaned over and too straight up.
DavidR.

Millietant

We have both a 1st Gen FZ1 and a FJ 1200.

As David says, the FZ1 bars have a decent rise in them, which starts just as the bars come out of the risers. From the sound of things, your FZ1 has lower, non-standard handlebars.

I always felt that the FJ had a more comfortable riding position than the FZ1. Last year I put FZR USD forks in my FJ and fitted FZ1 risers and handlebars to get exactly the same hand-grip position and angles as the FJ, but that bike still feels more comfortable than the FZ1.

I think the rear of the tank may be a bit closer to the bars on the FJ and the difference in footpeg position also contributes to giving me more "room" to get comfortable - but them again, the better wind protection on the FJ might also be playing a part. Either way, I doubt you'll be uncomfortable on a FJ - in the history of the world I don't think there's been a human yet who didn't "fit" a FJ  :biggrin:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

jahearne

John Ahearne