News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

New rattle after removing head

Started by Paul.1478, April 09, 2019, 06:23:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.1478

after a lot of cleaning I have located the leak. exhaust side 2 find above the base gasket in the middle. I called Robert and he was kind enough to talk to me. Told me it was likely coming from the cam chain tensioner. I thought strange a leak from the opposite side can show. He told me the area of the leak is a passage. Totally makes sense. I had that out.
so I removed it, cleaned it well and even added a little gasket maker. it is drying not but I am confident that this is it.

Once again great advise from RPM, always friendly and willing to help!

2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Tuned forks

I completely agree about the generosity of time and advice that Robert provides.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Old Rider

Looks like your bike is a little bitchy and dont like beeing fixed.My bike is a real bitch everything i try to fix has to be done 3 - 4 times before its right. And today i lost my front brakes when out riding
then i did try to bleed them but of cource the master cylinder seems to be gone to bed :bye2: and yesterday the almost new valvecovergasket started to leak WTF !!

Paul.1478

ahhhh good! someone beside me with this issue! im hopping this will be one of the few trips into the head excluding valve checking.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

woodcreekpete

Quote from: Paul.1478 on May 13, 2019, 12:28:05 PM
ahhhh good! someone beside me with this issue! im hopping this will be one of the few trips into the head excluding valve checking.

While we're talking rattles - my 88 has what sounds to me like a rattling clutch. Runs fine, clutch in, in gear, rattles. Clutch out and rolling, all's quiet. Pretending it's a Ducati hasn't made it any more enjoyable. Any ideas?
Wpete

oldktmdude

Quote from: Old Rider on May 13, 2019, 12:17:56 PM
and yesterday the almost new valvecovergasket started to leak WTF !!
You didn't buy one of those cheap Chinese valve cover gaskets did you? I haven't read anything good ever written about them.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Urban_Legend

Quote from: woodcreekpete on May 13, 2019, 06:04:20 PM
Quote from: Paul.1478 on May 13, 2019, 12:28:05 PM

While we're talking rattles - my 88 has what sounds to me like a rattling clutch. Runs fine, clutch in, in gear, rattles. Clutch out and rolling, all's quiet. Pretending it's a Ducati hasn't made it any more enjoyable. Any ideas?
Wpete

That sounds like the starter chain to me. Common noise and no need to cure until it sounds like a diesel ( cue RoverFJ1200 - Richard) with his 88 here.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Old Rider

Quote from: oldktmdude on May 13, 2019, 10:32:30 PM
Quote from: Old Rider on May 13, 2019, 12:17:56 PM
and yesterday the almost new valvecovergasket started to leak WTF !!
You didn't buy one of those cheap Chinese valve cover gaskets did you? I haven't read anything good ever written about them.
  Regards, Pete.
I think that is exactly what it was but i dont know if it is from china because i bought it from a guy here in Norway but it was mounted on a cardboard then wrapped in vakumplastic.
The gasket i had before that was a genuine yamaha gasket bought at yamaha it came rolled up in a plastic bag and that gasket also split in the middle of the rubber (not in the same place) like the rubber was old and brittle.

Paul.1478

well I am hoping my issues are gone. After all this I still had a leak. Time chain tensioner was just leaking a little but enough. I have been avoiding this because I know this is my final attempt at fixing it.
I removed everything found a little gasket left I failed to remove the last time. I carefully scraped everything off, used carb cleaner to be sure all was clean on each surface. SMALL amount of Permatex. One side is not tightening all the way, I seem to have stripped another hole. I have it as tight as it allows and used a little blue locktight. If this does not work I think the cylinders will need to be removed to get at the hole to put a helicoil in and that is not going to happen by me. I will either send I to RPM and have them fix it or just sell it with the leak.  I will start it up today after work giving it 24 hrs to cure.
Hoping for the best...

2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

ribbert

Quote from: Paul.1478 on September 25, 2019, 08:04:14 AM
well I am hoping my issues are gone. After all this I still had a leak. Time chain tensioner was just leaking a little but enough. I have been avoiding this because I know this is my final attempt at fixing it.
I removed everything found a little gasket left I failed to remove the last time. I carefully scraped everything off, used carb cleaner to be sure all was clean on each surface. SMALL amount of Permatex. One side is not tightening all the way, I seem to have stripped another hole. I have it as tight as it allows and used a little blue locktight. If this does not work I think the cylinders will need to be removed to get at the hole to put a helicoil in and that is not going to happen by me. I will either send I to RPM and have them fix it or just sell it with the leak.  I will start it up today after work giving it 24 hrs to cure.
Hoping for the best...

Paul, without looking I would think the chain tensioner holes could be fixed in place. You don't even need a helicoil, just drill it and tap it to the next size up.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Old Rider

I have had same problem on my bike stripped tread on one of the bolts.It was not a problem to fix as the hole vas deeper than it was treaded so i used a tap and a little wrench and then inserted a longer screw .A tip when tapping is using grease and only go one turn in before you rotate it out and rinse off the grease  or else you can snap off the tap inside the hole....also try to hold the tap straight.
You have to pull out the carbs to get more workspace.

Paul.1478

Thanks for the reply Noel.
Issue I see it, it is on the left hand side and there is a "nub" in the way from making a straight shot at it. Maybe if I had a drill with a 90 degree angle and small chuck...
Good to know and good idea about just taping. removes one step.

2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Paul.1478

Quote from: Old Rider on September 25, 2019, 09:32:12 AM
I have had same problem on my bike stripped tread on one of the bolts.It was not a problem to fix as the hole vas deeper than it was treaded so i used a tap and a little wrench and then inserted a longer screw .A tip when tapping is using grease and only go one turn in before you rotate it out and rinse off the grease  or else you can snap off the tap inside the hole....also try to hold the tap straight.
Humm. I like this. I sure hope I do not need to look into it but if I do (it keeps leaking) I will check that first. Good tip!
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

oldktmdude

Quote from: Paul.1478 on September 25, 2019, 09:49:25 AM
Humm. I like this. I sure hope I do not need to look into it but if I do (it keeps leaking) I will check that first. Good tip!

If you decide to go with this method, Loctite a stud into the thread and use a nut and washer to hold the adjuster in place. This way means you don't have to  rely on the threaded alloy withstand repeated use.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Paul.1478

Quote from: oldktmdude on September 25, 2019, 11:47:46 PM
Quote from: Paul.1478 on September 25, 2019, 09:49:25 AM

If you decide to go with this method, Loctite a stud into the thread and use a nut and washer to hold the adjuster in place. This way means you don't have to  rely on the threaded alloy withstand repeated use.
   Regards, Pete.
Wow, you guys are amazing. That is a great idea I would never have thought of.
I rode it in to work today. Still smoking from oil I could not get to clean but I see no signs of new oil... yet... almost forgot how much I love this bike. Powerful and SMOOTH.

Thanks for all the great tips.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS