News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hello From North Yorkshire

Started by NickB, April 11, 2019, 12:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickB

Hello all, just bought an old 1991 FJ1200 which needs some TLC, so probably be seeking some advice. She's only done 36000 miles, but has lived outside, so lots of corrosion. Hoping to get her up and running for a trip to Scotland in 6 weeks (Gulp!) cheers Nick

Millietant

Hi Nick, welcome to the forum.

Lots of help/advice here if you need it. I've just given my FJ a re-furb last summer (took it down to two big pieces, a frame and an engine) and did a few mods while I was at it - 17" back wheel and USD forks + R1 calipers etc.

Just let me know if i can help in any way - and I have a few good parts left over if you need them if any of yours are too far gone (forks, calipers, wheels, discs, etc).
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Troyskie

Welcome Nick,

You can have FJ have company in Scotland from a recent intro.

Replace the OEM brake lines with steel braided ones. The OEM discs can warp, so roll the wheel and feel/listen for the a disc that touches the pads.

Do the shims.

Check the tank for rust.

Check the vacuum line is not hardened or cracked (same with the other fuel lines)

Check the clutch is not frozen & while on the side stand pop off the clutch over and make sure there are no bits of wire loose. There is a wire retainer on the OEM setup that can come away. If it looks dodgey do the 'clutch mod' from the Files section.

A 'free' mod is to advance the timing, again in the Files section.

You'll likely need a carbie rebuild.

Post some pics of your new baby!

Troyskie
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Old Rider

Hi and welcome
One tip that is not mentioned yet is to safety wire the petcock . :yes:

Pat Conlon

Quote from: Old Rider on April 11, 2019, 06:16:01 AM

Petcock Safety wire on the fuel pump FJ's (88-95) is not needed.
Only the vacuum petcock FJ's '84-87 need the safety wire.

Welcome Nick! Be sure to check out the folks at RPM (top banner) for your part needs.

A bit of advice, get her running sooner rather than later. Put some miles on her via short trips. Shake out the bugs *before* you take her cross country.

Cheers.   Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

Welcome Nick, get the mechanical sorted. Then the cosmetics. Noting worse than a good looking bike you can't ride.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ZOA NOM

Quote from: FJmonkey on April 11, 2019, 02:03:39 PM
Welcome Nick, get the mechanical sorted. Then the cosmetics. Noting worse than a good looking bike you can't ride.

Sage advice from an experienced monkey...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

NickB

Quote from: Millietant on April 11, 2019, 04:36:18 AM
Hi Nick, welcome to the forum.

Lots of help/advice here if you need it. I've just given my FJ a re-furb last summer (took it down to two big pieces, a frame and an engine) and did a few mods while I was at it - 17" back wheel and USD forks + R1 calipers etc.

Just let me know if i can help in any way - and I have a few good parts left over if you need them if any of yours are too far gone (forks, calipers, wheels, discs, etc).
Thanks for the help (think I'll need it) I've just finished getting my Ducati 999 back on the road ££££££££££ Don't think that would have tolerated what the FJ has. Tomorrow I'm whipping the back wheel out, got a new shock to fit and getting new tyres. The front is a Michelin Macadam. Tyre shop reckons it's 15 years old!

NickB

Quote from: Pat Conlon on April 11, 2019, 01:22:06 PM
Quote from: Old Rider on April 11, 2019, 06:16:01 AM

Petcock Safety wire on the fuel pump FJ's (88-95) is not needed.
Only the vacuum petcock FJ's '84-87 need the safety wire.

Welcome Nick! Be sure to check out the folks at RPM (top banner) for your part needs.

A bit of advice, get her running sooner rather than later. Put some miles on her via short trips. Shake out the bugs *before* you take her cross country.

Cheers.   Pat

Great advice, got a feeling there's a good bike in there. Needs a new battery, fork seals, front calipers, got a new shock which will go on tomorrow, and tyres which are getting done tomorrow. Got to love a project

NickB

Thanks for the advice all. You obviously know your FJ'S. Looking forward to blasting round Scotland on her. Lot of work to do yet though!

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum  :hi:

Definitely bin the front tire. 15 year old rubber will have the front end sliding around like trying to gab a greased pig.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

NickB

Up at 7.30 to do the FJ. Looking loads better after 5 hours of cleaning. Just needs some TLC. Found the 2 front centre cylinder head nuts loose, so torqued them down. Fitting a new shock this afternoon. Happy days