News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Oil changes with RPM exhaust. Do the pipes need to come off?

Started by crash7863, March 30, 2019, 01:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash7863

Just ordered RPM pipes. 4 into 1. Should be cool looking. Does anyone know if you need to take the pipes off for an oil change? That would be way too convenient hence why it should be a thing.

aviationfred

The RPM exhaust was designed in part to allow removal of the oil drain plug without the need to remove the exhaust.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

racerrad8

Quote from: crash7863 on March 30, 2019, 01:02:18 PM
Does anyone know if you need to take the pipes off for an oil change? That would be way too convenient hence why it should be a thing.

I know you will be happy, it is the only exhaust system designed for the FJ and not interfere with the oil drain plug or hand too low and drag on the ground.

The RPM ultra lightweight stainless steel exhaust system has arrived. This is a 4-2-1 style system that allows the use of all of the stock options such as the chin fairing, center stand and allows access to the oil pan drain plug for easy oil changes.

The RPM ultra lightweight exhaust is offered with four different muffler options including round or megaphone. The round muffler options are stainless steel, Titanium or carbon fiber. The megaphone comes in polished stainless steel only.

The system is lightweight with the heaviest system coming in at 9.9 lbs. The O.E. exhaust system weighs 31.6 lbs, which results in a weight savings of at least 21.7 lbs.

The oil drain plug can still be accessed to ease of draining, the center stand can remain and the system tucks up nicely into the lower chin fairing.

The base system is the stainless steel round muffler and the other mufflers are available at an additional cost.

You must select the year model of your bike and the muffler kit you require.

The kit includes new header gaskets, lock nuts and all of the mounting hardware required as well as the spring tool.

Complete system weight

Carbon Fiber -      8.5 lbs
Titanium -            8.7 lbs
Stainless Steel -  9.9 lbs
Megaphone -       9.3 lbs

Your new system will be headed your way on Monday.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

yaman

crash7863

That is awesome. I know it's a small thing but it's a pain in the rear having to remove pipes just to change oil. I already did the oil filter adapter swap out. That saves a bunch of time too.

Tuned forks

+3 to everyone else's comments.  Recently installed RPM system here.  After installation I can guarantee you will be able to access the drain plug.  I know your pain crash7863, my previous system required header pipe removal for oil drain.  You're gonna be so impressed with the fit of RPM's system.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

GS Jockey

Really must get round to getting one of these myself, I've been doing it for around five years... :Facepalm:

I've already got Randy's suspension front and back,along with the fork brace, the spin-on oil filter converter and the oil cooler. So I know the exhaust will be first-class when I get it.
Unfortunately I am no longer young enough to know everything...