News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

3rd Annual RPM Fall Rally. Oct 11th - 13th, 2019

Started by racerrad8, May 05, 2019, 01:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Quote from: aviationfred on October 18, 2019, 12:21:37 AM
Quote from: racerrad8 on October 17, 2019, 10:43:16 PM
Quote from: aviationfred on October 16, 2019, 11:58:40 PM
Knocked out 500 miles today. One more day on the road.

Fred
I don't see the flatbed Ford....

Randy  -RPM
I made sure that I got a shot of it.

Fred

That is a flat bed Ford...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

2019 RPM Rally recap

This marks our 5th year of hosting the event and we have been honored to be able to do so.

I want to thank all who came to participate in the rally this year. Once again, we had two new faces at this years event. While Fred is not a new face to the group, he was a new face at the RPM rally. Thank you Fred for the trip out west to join. CutterBill was the other new face this year. While he participated on the Tenere, I imagine next year will be on his FJ.

Several people were not able to make it this year and you were missed; Pat, Joe, Kjell, Ryan, Mike A, LA Mike, Ed, Kerry, Steve C, Tim, Klav, Doug C & Bean...to mention a few.

As I have already mentioned, October 9-11, 2020 is already on the calendar for , so mark out that weekend right now...

Once again, the feedback on the ride was great, the Little Dragon never fails to provide great riding. The road up through Greeley Hill also, offers 95% of enjoyable twisties. Then, the ride down Priest Grade rounds out three phenomenal twisties available just a short trip away from the shop.

The first two photos this year are of the group photo from one of the stops. Not sure which on is better, no thumbs up or thumbs up...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

As we prepared to head out on Saturday morning, here was the line up.

The total group lineup followed by everyone's bike individually.

Frank's Stormy
Bill's Tenere
Ian's Kawi
Travis' 1100
Andy's 86
Ramos' high mileage 93
Rick's low mileage 93
The RPM 93
Capn's 93
Fred's long distance 95
Monkey's 90
Ron's 90

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

There was an odd conversation overheard prior to the ride between Fred and Mike. I seem to recall Fred telling Mike...

Look man, I know you can ride for 1000's of mile in one sitting, but how in the hell is my beard more grey than yours?

Do you use Just for Men or what?

The later in the evening, I heard Ron asking Mike the same question as Fred earlier in the day.

By Ron's expression, he cannot believe the answer...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

As we got the to top of the Little Dragon, there were a couple of bikes there. There was one guy with a foreign accent who says, "How about that, we met you guys up here last year too". He again this year, took a few minutes to check out the FJ's and is still in disbelief that there are this many local FJ's.

Mark and Craig's FJ are now added in the line up photo.

Andy is rolling camera for what should be another great video of the event.

Once again, the photo from the top looking back down doesn't do the road justice. The camera just can't catch all of the road visible on the other side of the lake.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

I did not get any lunch stop photos, but it was unfortunate Pat wasn't with us. 3/4 of the FJowners forum administrators were seated at one table. Mark, Fred and I sat with Cutterbill.

At the recommendation, a new file section has been created and will be built and populated shortly. Keep your eyes open for the new, "Electrical" file for all electrical related files.

After lunch we headed out and further east up Greeley Hill Rd. There was a fork in the road and the tail section of the group took the right and got a little off course. But, the error was noted early and they didn't get too far down the road.

Once we got back to Highway 120 we began the trip back west to the shop. The spirited ride down priest grade with the final stop just after. This is where, as Travis already mentioned, the EPA caught up with us. They had been chasing us since we had lunch. There was a report that someone from the eastbay (Rick) had concealed and was trying to smuggle in plastic straws to Bay Area residents.

As you can see in this photo, Rick is the only person missing as he is being strip searched looking for the illegal plastic straws.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Here a few photos from dinner and it is amazing how quiet it gets when the food hits the table...

In the first photo the only one talking is the UK transplant. He is asking...

How do you guys hold this pizza food, this is nothing like the Sheppard's pie I'm so used too.

Then as I turn the camera, Bill says, "nope you are not going to get a picture of me shoving food in my face like you did with everyone else..."

As dinner concludes, the stories are getting deep. Travis then breaks out into song. He starts singing, Take it easy.

Check out those reactions as he gets into the corus.

Ian: Sing it dad
Rick: Wow, he can really hold that note
Mark: I didn't know we were having a show this year
Ron: I waiting to hear the hook so I can jump in.
Andy: USA is so much better the the UK
Fred: I putting Winslow Az in my google maps right now.

Frank, Craig and Mark are getting up to start dancing.

Bill, Ron and Mike are down at the end of the table saying, these damn kids.

Mark is asking Bill, are you going to get up and dance?

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

As Travis concludes the performance, Ron begins to think...

I really hope Andy doesn't have the bunny ears up behind my head like I did to Fred earlier.

That's the point Fred realizes he was had earlier in the day by Ron.

Ian is thinking, I think I might have been a little off key tonight and will have to work on it for next year. Rick is licking his chops in anticipation for next year.

As Ian stands up for his bow to the audience, Mark sure seems to have enjoyed the performance, off key or not.
But, Ron on the other hand is now grilling Fred..."Did you tell Andy to put the bunny ears up behind my head...?"

Even though the music has stopped, Craig just can't seem to stop dancing and is moving so fast I can't even focus on him...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

We then move outside for the annual campfire. While we all love the digital campfire the forum provides, you just can't beat the real thing...

Thank you again to Mark for the instant start to the fire with the thermite. This year the set-up allowed for one of the funniest moments of the rally...right Andy?

As the thermite was fist lit, Ol' Monkey thought...I'm not sure about this new bigger skull this year. I better keep my back to the start of the fire.

Then after the mag strip burned out and it didn't light, he figured he better watch to make sure it works the second time.

See, Bill gets it. Yeah the digital campfire is great, but the real this is so much better.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

So, what do three A/C - refrigerant guys talk about when around the campfire...

FREON

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

As we were warmed by heart and soul of the fire, reflections of the day, week, year and lifetimes were had.

It is just a great time to be with friends of a common core, the Yamaha FJ motorcycle.

Once again, thank you all for attending again this year.

These types of events cannot happen without your participation. I know these event cost money to attend and many of you attend from great distances. I hope you all enjoy these gatherings bring you as much enjoyment as they bring to me. I look forward to next year and many more to come. I hope you are all able to join us again next year.

Randy - RPM

There might have been one or two liberties taken in the telling of the tale, but that is how I heard it all
Randy - RPM

Tuned forks

Good stories and pictures Randy.  Thanks for sharing.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ZOA NOM

Wow, absolutely great thread, Randy. Thanks for taking so much time to put it together.

There was a clip that must be included however. I'm sure Andy can explain...

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Pat Conlon

In the video, I love the comment as the thermite flares...... "Damn, now my beer's warm..." :wacko2:

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on October 20, 2019, 10:24:01 PM

There was a clip that must be included however. I'm sure Andy can explain...

.....the following ones are better....
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"