News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Slip-On's

Started by Yamafreak, May 25, 2019, 07:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamafreak

Hey all,
So what in the way of slip-On's are people putting on their FJ's? And where are they getting them? I'm in Canada and have a '92
Cheers,

Tuned forks

I think the Vance and Hines muff seems to be popular.  I've seen many of them in pics and my '90 came with one when I bought it.  RPM's muffler sounds awesome!!

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

1tinindian

"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

PaulG

If you want to buy local Hindle is a good choice.  I lucked out and bought a set of aluminum cans that were being discontinued. I had to get the mid pipes bent up at a shop. Since then I've changed it to a flex pipe. Also fabbed up my own bracketry. Sound beastly without being annoying.

They've been in business for decades. Like most manufacturers they make stuff for later models, but any slip-on for a newer big bore bike should work. The ones for the FJR1300 would prob be ok.

Give them an email. I've found them very helpful. The attached pics show my set up.

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

aviationfred

I have a 4-1 system on my FJ. For a duel muffler look, I really like the Delkevic Carbon fiber 18" slip ons.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192553538994

I had considered buying this 91.

You can occasionally find used slip ons.
Yoshimura, Cobra F1r and SuperTrapp mufflers do show up for sale

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Bantam

Quote from: Yamafreak on May 25, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
Hey all,
So what in the way of slip-On's are people putting on their FJ's? And where are they getting them? I'm in Canada and have a '92
Cheers,

I had fashioned a 4 into 1 but it was a bit noisey.
I'm now running xjr1200 cans off the standard headers and collector of the fj.
A small bar is used to link the xjr can mounting point to the frame mount but the cans look and sound good.
Cheap too! Especially if you used to own an xjr and had spare cans in the garage.
FJ1200 - 1988 (on the road, brilliant)
XT660R - 2009 (on the road, great fun)
ExUp1000s - All gone now!
ZX12R - 2003 (insane)

Discovery 2 Td5 1998 - (4x4 fun)

Ford Transit Connect Van - 2009 (daily commute)

Yamafreak

Quote from: PaulG on May 25, 2019, 04:03:13 PM
If you want to buy local Hindle is a good choice.  I lucked out and bought a set of aluminum cans that were being discontinued. I had to get the mid pipes bent up at a shop. Since then I've changed it to a flex pipe. Also fabbed up my own bracketry. Sound beastly without being annoying.

They've been in business for decades. Like most manufacturers they make stuff for later models, but any slip-on for a newer big bore bike should work. The ones for the FJR1300 would prob be ok.

Give them an email. I've found them very helpful. The attached pics show my set up.

Those look sic Paul. I'll give them a try. What's got me muddled is badging. Do you have to specify right or left? I want to keep the 4 into 2 configuration.

Yamafreak

Quote from: Yamafreak on May 25, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
Hey all,
Cheers,

Thanks for the input everyone. Definitely like the 4 into 2 examples.

Yamafreak

Quote from: PaulG on May 25, 2019, 04:03:13 PM

So called up Hindle as you suggested. The folks there were awesome and hooked me up with the same can's as yours, sorry for the copycat but your idea to use the flex extensions is great. They should be here midweek. I'll post a pic.
Cheers

Yamafreak

Ok guys, great service from Hindle and Kemp at Ripple Rock Racing for getting these made up and sent to me within a week. As I said, I was going to follow Paul's plan with flex pipe which has worked out great.. I painted the flex black satin with my beloved VHT high heat paint, I'm liking the look... and the very throaty growl!

X-Ray

Looks superb, beautiful bike, love the front end, very clean.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Urban_Legend

Looks Super smooth. love it.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Yamafreak

Thanks for the kind words from you Aussie boys. Lived in Brisbane close to Mt. Glorious in Mt. Omaney for 3 years. What roads! Awesome riding there all year round. Loved it! Mt Mee too, I want to get back there.
All recognition for my FJ goes to another member here and FJ guru Pete Slean. I'm just the next custodian of this amazing bike.
Cheers,
Yamafreak

PaulG

The VHT paint was a good idea.  I need to fab up a new set of flex pipes as they have a lot of surface rust on them. Gives it a rat-bike look, but the rest of the bike isn't that ratty... yet.

I noticed you mounted them directly near where the OEM mount was.  I initially did that (in my 1st photo), but then bent up some bracket extensions (2nd photo) to give the pipe more support towards the middle.  Just thought it might keep it from flexing under load/vibration over time.  The cans are light enough it may not matter, but just in case.

I was under the impression Hindle was discontinuing the aluminum cans when I bought them at the bike show several yrs ago. I bought them at 1/2 retail then.  I guess they changed their mind.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Urban_Legend

The pipes available from RPM are made by Hindle. Nice and light and good quality.

I like the idea of your mounting bracket extensions. I often wonder about the weight behind the bracket on my 84 FJ11.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.