News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Cv carbs fj11

Started by Dieselman7.3, May 25, 2019, 07:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselman7.3

So has anyone changed out there carbs for non cv. Any benefit to keeping them?  Also what are you guys using for air filter set up/jetting? Looking to take that monster of an air box out in my opinion it makes getting to the carbs a pain in the arse.  Pulled my carbs out this morning for a deep cleaning hopefully she'll start and idle better also removed the rats next in the box so that should help it breath better. Gonna be changing out the exhaust and air filter set up this summer when I can afford the 4-2-1. Looking to shave weight and run stronger. She doesn't seem to have the same pull as I remember my 1200 having.  Thanks
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

Flynt

Some, although very few, have changed to flatsides when they built a higher cc engine...  I have Kiehen FCR 39s on a 1350cc engine with performance cams and such.  Others run the stock carbs on 1350 (and bigger) engines with no issues.  Mine runs well, but professional tuning on a dyno was required to get it there...  limited advice was available since so few people do this mod (Thanks Flatside Frank East for the help!).

I have the stock carbs on my '84 1100 and they also run very nicely...  the cv technology makes them slightly more complicated to get right, but TONS of advice is available here and the stock setup was not bad although a little lean for emissions control.  I'd start by THOROUGHLY cleaning the carbs (ultrasonic cleaning with air to chase the crap out of the small ports), using the standard richer jetting RPM specifies, then balance them well and see where you are.  Swapping carbs is not an easy fix by any means...

Take the airbox out and use foam pod filters (RPM sells what you need)...  this makes the carb access easy and (IMHO) does not impact low end torque much when the jetting is correct.  When you change the exhaust, depending on how free flowing you get, you might need to tweak the carbs a bit more.  Get the airbag out of the way now and you'll be happier when that time comes.

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

JPaganel

Quote from: Dieselman7.3 on May 25, 2019, 07:57:18 AMLooking to take that monster of an air box out in my opinion it makes getting to the carbs a pain in the arse. 

If it's hard, you are probably doing it wrong. FJ is one of the easiest bikes ever in terms of removing the airbox.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

Dieselman7.3

How is the air box supposed to be removed? I'm probably missing something simple.
Current:
85 fj1100
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

X-Ray

Its not too bad if you remover the front bolts from the rear subframe and push it down from the back, gives you around an inch of room to play with around the airbox. Also I found that actually removing the battery and battery box gives you a ton of room to access the air box. I did find that the first time I tried to remove it, it seemed like the airbox would not budge, had to hook up a little ratchet strap to actually pull the airbox from the carbs. But once you have done it, it is very simple on or off,
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Dieselman7.3

Quote from: X-Ray on May 26, 2019, 06:55:10 AM
Its not too bad if you remover the front bolts from the rear subframe and push it down from the back, gives you around an inch of room to play with around the airbox. Also I found that actually removing the battery and battery box gives you a ton of room to access the air box. I did find that the first time I tried to remove it, it seemed like the airbox would not budge, had to hook up a little ratchet strap to actually pull the airbox from the carbs. But once you have done it, it is very simple on or off,

Thanks for the tip I'll have to try that next time I pull the carbs (probably be soon) she still doesn't want to idle unless I just crack the choke on it and it's a bit hitchy until I'm over 2k rpm then she runs great. Any suggestions I've read on an other post here to change the idle jet to a 40
Current:
85 fj1100
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

Tuned forks

My machine ran like dog poop when first in my possession.  First some Chevron and fuel additive helped a wee bit but the final solution was a trip to RPM and a spa day in Robert's hands.  Do yourself a favor, send him your carbs and you will not regret it.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Dieselman7.3

Does anyone know the diameter of the needle in the carbs. Looking to shim mine 1-2 mm just seeing if I can find washers or shims locally.  If not I'll order them from RPM just looking to get them sooner then later. Thanks
Current:
85 fj1100
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750