News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Mystery neutral gears on FJ1200.

Started by crash7863, June 03, 2019, 07:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash7863

1989 FJ1200, 70k miles.

What type of things should I be looking for to fix the mystery neutral gears that happen when I upshift? This is not the first bike I've had where when you upshift it suddenly does not engage and it's like the bike is in neutral. I'm sure other folks have seen this type of thing before. Is it an easy fix? Just tighten some things up? Or is it an engine rebuild type of situation?

FJmonkey

I recommend two things. The first is free, adjust the shift lever down one notch. Get it closer to your boot so when you shift up you will get that little bit more travel. In the same respect just shift up with more authority with your toe. Second, install the roller bearing shift kit from RPM. This made shifting smoother and easier after I installed it.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

crash7863

Thank you. I'll look into that. It seems like a fall or winter project, which is good because I need things to do rather than drinking beer and yelling at the tv.

Tuned forks

I agree with Monkey's first point.  Sometimes if I get lazy and only shift with my toes, I catch neutral instead of 2nd.  Try to shift with the area behind your toes to get more throw into your shifting action.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

crash7863

I think I found my problem. Low clutch fluid. Going to work this morning when suddenly it was all clunk while shifting.  :dash1: So, that could be creating the mystery gear.
Should be DOT4 on these bikes I believe. Meh, I'll just go with that.

I ordered a slave rebuild kit from RPM, so that'll be cool.

crash7863

So I cleaned up the slave cylinder. It looks like it could use a new one but it still functions. I'll write that down for a part for next year.

I bought the slave cylinder rebuild kit from RPM. Easy enough to figure out but what about the small gasket/seal that comes with it? It's not obvious where it goes. Sure it's sized for the rod, but I thought the seal for the rod went on the other side of the engine to keep engine oil from pouring in? Do I use it or not? I'm a bit hazy on that.

On some more positive news, I found a great use for all of the tshirts I'm too fat to wear now days. Really cleaned up the engine.  :yes:

ryanschoebel

It is for the rod. Where the rod first meets the engine, the seal just presses in right there. Use a small flat head to remove the old one
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm