News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Chain lubrication

Started by Tuned forks, June 07, 2019, 09:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOTOMYSZOR

I use gearbox oil...... 75w-90.

For few years I used syringe and few ml oil on each chain side.

Now I have DIY oiler and during ride, when chain is warm, I just press button to open valve for 20 seconds in summer time and 30 seconds when is "cold".
Centrifugal force press oil in to chain. Any oil excess will be throwaway together with dirt from chain.

Chain is always clean and moist. Bike was "lubricated" only 2-3 times when I forgot switch off valve ;)

We Are The People Our Parents Warned Us About

Old Rider

Install one of these spray some cans of chainlube on the chain and the chain will be happy for a long time :mocking:

PaulG

Quote from: CutterBill on June 11, 2019, 08:50:30 PM
...On the other hand, I live in the desert and it never rains here. If I often rode in the rain, I might feel the need to spray the chain with... something... to prevent rust.
Bill

IMHO this is probably the main reason whether you feel the need to lube, regardless of whether you should. I've used a Scott Oiler for a few years now. (Yes I know its Snake Oil for some of you).  I just switched to using 80W90 synth gear oil for lube. (No distributor in Canada, and cheaper than their oil) I'm not averse to riding in the rain if caught in it, as seen in this shamless plug for my video showing this.

I've had the bike ready since the 1st wk of May.  It hasn't stopped raining since FFS. Plus I will go down gravel roads, so it just leaves me with peace of mind, and not having to bother with it really.  Even after an especially dirty ride the chain is always clean.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

FJ_Hooligan

SnotOilers are great for a chain but they SUCK for the person riding behind you.

All the shit and oil that flies off your chain ends up on the fairing behind you.
DavidR.

PaulG

Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on June 15, 2019, 09:33:47 AM
SnotOilers are great for a chain but they SUCK for the person riding behind you.

All the shit and oil that flies off your chain ends up on the fairing behind you.

Then the setting for the drip feed is too high. It doesn't require a lot. I use about a drop every 20s or so.  The original bottle of Scott oil (250mL) lasted me 4 seasons.  If you have an all year season, then you may go through a bottle.  The instructions are pretty specific.

Oh no, its starting... a neverending chain lube thread... :flag_of_truce:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

fj-f3a

I have recently fitted a Pro-Oiler to my FJ.

Unlike the Scott Oiler, the Pro-Oiler works on distance, not time.

Ideal setting is said to be about one drop every 6km.

I ride approx 18km each way to and from work and using the recommended look-up table, after five days, the drip counter reads 30.

I am using 15W50 synthetic motor oil with approx 10% ACF50 added.

One of the best things I found having fitted the Pro-Oiler is that you are checking regularly to see if it is working and this means you are checking the chain.

So far, really pleased with the results.

When was the last time one lubricated their throttle cables?

Gotcha!
Wings Level

Current
1990 FJ1200, Wet Pale Brown
J17xMT5.5 rear wheel from a 2001 Kawasaki Zx9r
Stainless exhausts
Electronic cruise control
Custom seat
Yamaha R6 Blue Spot Callipers
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

Mike Ramos

Quote from: fj-f3a on June 15, 2019, 06:40:42 PM

When was the last time one lubricated their throttle cables?

Gotcha!

Hmmm... not quite! 

Never satisfied with the V1, I purchased two of the V3's - one for me and another for a friend to return a favor. 

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MotionProVableV3

Rode safe.

ribbert

Quote from: PaulG on June 15, 2019, 04:49:19 PM
Quote from: FJ_Hooligan on June 15, 2019, 09:33:47 AM

Then the setting for the drip feed is too high. It doesn't require a lot. I use about a drop every 20s or so.  The original bottle of Scott oil (250mL) lasted me 4 seasons.  If you have an all year season, then you may go through a bottle.  The instructions are pretty specific.

Oh no, its starting... a neverending chain lube thread... :flag_of_truce:

Hooli, I can't see how a drop every minute or two, most of which (after it's passed through the chain) gets sucked onto the back rim could do this. From what I know of your riding, why are you sitting behind another bike anyway, especially someone daggy enough to have an oiler. :biggrin:

Paul, I find 90 is enough, a bit more frequent in the wet. I have more miles on my EK ZZZ than the flat earther's dry chainer's, would believe, and still not even a tight spot, no vibration and that lovely sound of a freshly lubed chain when spinning the wheel on the stand.

Paul, do you have a single or double feed?

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

I tried a Scott Oiler and I much prefer the pump of a Pro Oiler over the Scott Oiler gravity feed.
Ever notice what happens to a bag of potato chips when you drive from sea level to say ~6500 - 7000 ft?
I had a Scott Oiler empty its entire bottle on me while on a twisty mountain road.
I had a guardian angel that day for sure...

***If you have a Scott Oiler beware....keep that bottle vent open and clear***

The Pro Oiler pump won't let that happen.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

PaulG

Quote from: ribbert on July 16, 2019, 09:48:43 AM
Paul, do you have a single or double feed?

Noel

I stuck with the single single feed that comes with the kit.  Though I will occasionally take a trip down a gravel road, and I rarely indulge myself in hi-revving pursuits, I didn't think it was neccesary.  Their concept of the lube wicking it's way through the links from the outside to the inside seemed plausible to me.  So far so good.  I haven't adjusted my chain for several seasons now so it seems to work for me.  So I must be "daggy"....  :scratch_one-s_head: ?

Oh, maybe not  :shok: - from Urban Didtionary for us in the northern hemisphere
. a "dag" or "dags" is the colloquial term for the dung which collects and mats into the fleece immediately surrounding a sheep's anus; it hangs in dried-out dangling clumps which make a sound when the sheep runs,    :sarcastic:

Quote from: Pat Conlon on July 16, 2019, 03:52:16 PM
I tried a Scott Oiler and I much prefer the pump of a Pro Oiler over the Scott Oiler gravity feed.
Ever notice what happens to a bag of potato chips when you drive from sea level to say ~6500 - 7000 ft?
I had a Scott Oiler empty its entire bottle on me while on a twisty mountain road.
I had a guardian angel that day for sure...

***If you have a Scott Oiler beware....keep that bottle vent open and clear***

The Pro Oiler pump won't let that happen.

Noted.  Though I think their newer gen electronic version might take care of that (at twice the price).  No - I am not a salesperson for Scott.  Just your average dag.  :drinks:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

ribbert

Quote from: PaulG on July 16, 2019, 04:26:29 PM

.... So I must be "daggy"....  :scratch_one-s_head: ?

Oh, maybe not  :shok: - from Urban Didtionary for us in the northern hemisphere
. a "dag" or "dags" is the colloquial term for the dung which collects and mats into the fleece immediately surrounding a sheep's anus; it hangs in dried-out dangling clumps which make a sound when the sheep runs,    :sarcastic:

Haha, yes Paul that use of the word, as above, is also common within the farming community here but it is most commonly used colloquially (or as Trump would have it written in his speech notes koll-oke-wee-al-ee) to describe someone unconcerned by trend of fashion, or as the slang dictionary describes it:

"Dag is an Australian and New Zealand slang term, also daggy (adjective) and dagging (verb, to behave in a daggy way). ... It is also used to describe an amusing, quirky and likeable person (as in, "He's a bit of a dag") and is non-pejorative."

Paul, where do you have the nozzle mounted? Your description ....."Their concept of the lube wicking it's way through the links from the outside to the inside seemed plausible to me".... is back to front (or maybe it's just the terminology) Centrifugal force pushes it through from the inside to the outside.

Pat, things have moved on. The Scott oilers are electronic with an electromagnetically operated piston that pulses to push a drop through at whatever rate it is set for. An accelerometer makes sure it only works when the bike is moving and everything can be adjusted on the fly. Simple and robust P of O.

You're right though, early vacuum operated oilers were not flash.

100k (at least) between chains, no need to clean it, never adjust chain between tyre changes, totally reliable. Love it! 

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

Thanks Noel for the update....welcome back :good:
Yea, the new Scotty looks to be light years beyond my old unit...good for them.
I also now see that the Scotty offers the dual nozzle tips that apply the oil on both sides of the chain sprocket for better coverage on the chain. That was something I liked about my Pro Oiler.

Here are the various Pro Oiler tips

Here's the Scott Oiler tip
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

X-Ray

Thinking very seriously about the automatic oilers. Keeping the chain cleaner whilst optimally lubricated are both pluses in my book, will do a bit more research.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ