News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

1992 FJ1200 with ABS Dragging clutch or gears shiffter issues... I still loveher

Started by THXFJ1200, June 11, 2019, 01:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THXFJ1200

OK bleeding for my first try with the old clutch still ijn there did not work out as smooth as was planning in my head.

Also, I am trying to change what I think is the pushrod seal (see attached picture) with no luck getting the old one out, and now the old one is broken but still in there, I assumed it was supposed to be changed since it came with the clutch rebuild kit from RPM, but now I am afraid I made a mistake by trying to do so and maybe I was better off leaving that in there and saving the new seal for spare in the future?
I am just looking for some reassurance that the old one needs to come out and I am not just going the wrong way, then after dinner, I will go down there and start working on it again.

I need to get the bike working for Tuesday since I need to take it out of the underground parking for power washing.
I am assuming I need some sort of special pulling tool os a nice pick to get it done?

thanks for any advice in regards to this first obstacle.

Current: 1992 Yamaha FJ 1200 with ABS
Scooter Honda Elite CH150 fixer-upper
Suzuki Intruder VS800GL down in FL
Past:
Yamaha XT 350
Suzuki DL 650 "Wee-Strom" (first bike)

THXFJ1200

Ok now reading more through the forum to make sense out of this, I read something about a ball falling out, and I remember there was a ball bearing on the floor the other day just where I disassemble the clutch. I found that weird but I can not remember where it went at the end of the thing, I can not say it did come from inside the engine thou. Now I am in full on losing my marbles mode!
Is it common for some ball bearing to come out when you take the pushrod out? if so what should be done?
Thanks again I will go now and look for it see if I can find it.

OK went down and found the ball bearing, it is just under 4.3 mm diameter, the only prob is there use to be this moron in our building that amused himself shooting BBs around and every now and then I can still find some BBs around, that puts me in this position where I am not sure if this came from inside my bike or somewhere else... but it was just by my bike when I pull the pushrod out the other day, what are the odds of this BB belonging in there? Any way I can verify if it is or it is not? Sorry to be a drag with this... I will go down not and try pulling that seal out, back in a few to check the forum. 

Here picture attached:

Thanks

Past:
Yamaha XT 350

racerrad8

Pull the pushrod all the way out.  Use a screwdriver and pry out the old seal.

If you pulled the internal clutch pushrod when you disassembled the clutch,  that could be the ball. But...

In think that ball as closer to 8mm,  but I can't confirm until I get the the shop tomorrow.

Randy -RPM
Randy - RPM

THXFJ1200

Thanks Randy,

I was looking online and the only one image/info I found was 8mm as you suspected, so I am going to go ahead with the replacement of the seal (the old one popped out)  and reinstall the slave plus re-bleed... fun... not really.
When removed the seal I noticed the part behind it is not symmetrical... I do think the seal has no specific position to go in right? It doesn't seem to... Overthinking, damn!

Going for it second try, I will report back when done. Hopefully today.
Past:
Yamaha XT 350

red

Quote from: THXFJ1200 on June 30, 2019, 10:19:22 PMOk now reading more through the forum to make sense out of this, I read something about a ball falling out . . . Is it common for some ball bearing to come out when you take the pushrod out? if so what should be done? 
OK went down and found the ball bearing, it is just under 4.3 mm diameter . . . it was just by my bike when I pull the pushrod out the other day, what are the odds of this BB belonging in there? Thanks
Serge,

The correct ball for the clutch rod would be 11/32" (Index 26) on the Parts Fiche linked below.  That would be ~8.73mm.  The ball that you found may or may not be what was in there, but it would not be the correct one, if so.  All ball bearings are equal, if you can locate the correct size.

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/1992-yamaha-fj1200ad-clutch-assembly.html
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

THXFJ1200

Thanks Red,

I put the pushrod with the new seal in there without the bearing I found outside since it was obvious the wrong size and everyone said is kinda an urban myth that the ball falls out... ever.
The bleeding was still very weird, and I did not feel much of a strong lever after that but I held it in and tighten it there against the handlebars till tomorrow with a zip-tie hoping the master self-bleeds.

A while later at least I started it and cycle through the gears just to make sure it wasn't dragging and it seems pretty good, I will go for a ride tomorrow and report back.

Past:
Yamaha XT 350

THXFJ1200

Ok finished the bleeding today and it feels pretty good... at some point in improved this morning cuz at the beginning was like not working and dragging a lot...
But then somehow not sure where but close to the clutch I heard like a faded hissing, go figure, it improved a lot, also the level in the MC was over the top, so I got a syringe and suck a little out, then it came too low, some bubble flew out I guess so I put some back int here. Went for another ride in the underground garage and it's much better like the first gear clunk is not that hard and its shifting from 1st into second no prob.

The only prob right now is neutral, I can not find it very easily, and for some reason is way easier to find it when the bike is off. Is this clutch related? I suppose so.
I will keep up with the rebuild of the clutch, I am worried that by putting a new set of disks and a new spring there might be some dragging coming back?
I will put insurance on the bike and use it like this for a while just to settle the hydraulics in the clutch MC and SC first then do the swap for the RPM clutch kit (remove one disk and the wire clip etc) then do the switch of the clutch assembly as well as install the shifter detent kit etc. Then also change oil and filter with the RPM filter spin-on adapter.
Hopefully, all that work brings the shifting experience back to normal if not even better.

One thing is for sure, like Terminator: I'll be back.

Thanks for the patience and I hope you are enjoying this summer fully.
Past:
Yamaha XT 350

RPM - Robert

One other thing to offer when bleeding, is the 8mm Mini Brake Bleeder.

This has a check valve for easy one person bleeding of hydraulic systems.

THXFJ1200

Just a very long time later update.
After a while of not been used, I can report my clutch is working fine AF. No dragging neutral is great ( no fakes) and it is all as it's meant to be.
Thanks for all the help.
Past:
Yamaha XT 350

fj1289

Good to hear!   :good:

Glad it worked out - thanks for letting us know how it went - a lot of times you never know what happened in the end.

THXFJ1200

Past:
Yamaha XT 350