News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Stripped screw on tank mount for a GIVI tank lock system.

Started by crash7863, June 15, 2019, 07:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crash7863

I was installing a GIVI BF05 tanklock mount system over the gas cap when I stripped an M5 screw. I realized I put the parts together in the wrong order and went I went to take out the screw it was completely stripped. Any advice on how to get it removed? I'm a little woried about using my angle grinder to chop off the head. I already tried using a vice grip, that didn't work and I just mangled the paint job on the mounting hardware.

I already have new stainless M5 screws that should be a bit stronger than the POS cheap crap GIVI sent out with their kit. I just need a safe way to cut this screw out with out starting my garage on fire.

:Facepalm:

Just discovered screw extractors from grabit. That'll probably do it.

CutterBill

Just a quick note... not all stainless steel screws are high-strength. Actually, a lot of them are much softer (and weaker) than Grade 5 steel screws. Don't fall into the "stainless is always stronger" trap.  If strength is important, you must know the actual tensile strength of the screw in question.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

FJmonkey

To add to that, cheap SST tends to gall against cheap SST. So screws get locked up even when not cross threaded if you don't use some lubrication. Things that get discovered when the bean counters override engineering and operations.  SST fasteners can be soft like cheese.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

crash7863

Tuned forks

Use anti-seize to avoid the Monkey mentioned problem.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket