News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Ignition advanced

Started by Dieselman7.3, July 28, 2019, 01:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieselman7.3

I've been reading through old post about turning the plate to advance the timing. I found the original write up on how to do it. Before I go and mess anything up I have a couple kind of dumb questions.  From the top hole do you go counter clockwise or clockwise? And does anyone have a spec on how long the hole is oblonged? I know it says to go by the mark left by the washer but I'd feel better with an actual measurement.  Thanks
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

Bones

The crank spins anticlockwise so you need to file the slot on the plate to the left of the screw hole so you can rotate it more to the right to advance it. Instructions say to file it to the shadow of the washer to get the 4 Deg advance, but I'd go a bit more than that, if too much and starts pinging turn back a fraction.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

Dieselman7.3

Thank you just what I was hoping to here
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750