News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

WTB Hard Bags for 92

Started by Woofers and Tweeters, July 13, 2019, 03:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woofers and Tweeters

WTB hard saddle bags and hard trunk bag with all the mounting hardware that fits the 1992. I am in central Kentucky. Advice is very welcome, even if you don't have them.

Thanks in advance

aviationfred

Most FJ owners use the GIVI E140 Wingrack and assorted bags and top boxes that are offered. The Kappa brand is owned by GIVI and will also fit the Wingrack. The Wingrack and Wingrack2 are a universal rack system, so they show up on eBay regularly. You will need the GIVI Y204 mounting kit, which is extremely difficult to find used.

Hepco & Becker current offers New racks for the FJ. I believe they are no longer stocked by the US distributor and may be made to order. This is the link for the Hepco rack https://www.motomachines.com/hepco-becker-complete-rack-yamaha-fj-1200-from-91

I have used the Hepco rack and Journey Flash 40L bags. They work very well and I had no complaints.

Photos are of my 89 with the Journey Flash bags that I painted to color match the bike.

Fred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Woofers and Tweeters

Thank you for the info Fred. This is what I need to know. My FJ has 41K miles on it and i put them all on there. I have GIVI bags on a KLR that I just bouth, and that makes me want them on the FJ too.

Thanks again.

Millietant

I'm also a huge fan of the Givi Luggage systems - I had a Givi top box/tail trunk on my FJ for a number of years (we have them on our FZ1 and FZS 600 too) and a lot of friends also swear by the Givi kit.

But, I'm also a fan of the Krauser K2 luggage (as was the "official" Yamaha branded kit when the 3CV 1200 was launched in Europe). I've had a set on my FJ for about 25 years now and they're still as solid and watertight as the day they were new. They don't have the absolute capacity of the Givi's, but are plenty big enough for a 2 week tour. Because of the way they mount, they're pretty easy to fit to most bikes, without a specific official "kit", with a bit of minor bracket fabrication - and they're frequently available on eBay for "not Givi" money.

The pic below is the only one I have in the gallery right now with the full Krauser set on my FJ, but I think the panniers are much "sleeker" (less "boxy") than the Givi panniers.

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Woofers and Tweeters

Quote from: Millietant on July 14, 2019, 07:33:44 AM
I'm also a huge fan of the Givi Luggage systems - I had a Givi top box/tail trunk on my FJ for a number of years (we have them on our FZ1 and FZS 600 too) and a lot of friends also swear by the Givi kit.

<snip>

The pic below is the only one I have in the gallery right now with the full Krauser set on my FJ, but I think the panniers are much "sleeker" (less "boxy") than the Givi panniers.

Those do look great. Since I can only ride one bike at a time, I am hoping to just buy the mounting kit(s) to use the GIVI boxes that I have.

Tuned forks

So last year I was on a search, like yourself.  Additional advice that I received would be to continue to check the classified ads in this forum and also look at ebay Europe.  Personally I was very lucky and bought a complete Givi set from Cutter Bill.  He was a fantastic seller!  If you are lucky enough to score the complete Givi mounting system, be patient about installing it if you have an aftermarket exhaust.  My V&H muffler hit the side bag.  These pics show the relationship between the bracket and the muffler.  The RPM exhaust has no issues with luggage however.
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Woofers and Tweeters

Quote from: Tuned forks on July 14, 2019, 09:39:59 PM
So last year I was on a search, like yourself.  Additional advice that I received would be to continue to check the classified ads in this forum and also look at ebay Europe.  Personally I was very lucky and bought a complete Givi set from Cutter Bill.  He was a fantastic seller!  If you are lucky enough to score the complete Givi mounting system, be patient about installing it if you have an aftermarket exhaust.  My V&H muffler hit the side bag.  These pics show the relationship between the bracket and the muffler.  The RPM exhaust has no issues with luggage however.

Do you know the model number of the mounting system?

Thanks

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Millietant

Quote from: Tuned forks on July 14, 2019, 09:39:59 PM

Hey Joe - if that's you in the photo....what's happened to your beard !!!!! From the look of the photo of you at the WCR you must have seen a ghost or something  :shok:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

ryanschoebel

Quote from: Millietant on July 18, 2019, 10:06:38 AM
Hey Joe - if that's you in the photo....what's happened to your beard !!!!! From the look of the photo of you at the WCR you must have seen a ghost or something  :shok:

Thats not Joe haha. Thats Robert, From RPM
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Tuned forks

Yes it is Dean and Ryan.  He is pictured putting the FINE tune on my machine.  :biggrin:
Not so long ago, (or so it seems) my beard was as dark as Robert's.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket