News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

WTB ignition coils for 92 FJ

Started by Woofers and Tweeters, July 13, 2019, 03:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woofers and Tweeters

I have a 92 FJ that the tac reads double. Was told that it's the coils. Anyone have some for sale or advice on where to buy them? I'm in central Kentucky

Thanks in advance
James

big r

Have you checked all your connectors for any corrosion? Poor ground will have a detrimental effect on the tach. Others with far more experience will chime with suggestions

Woofers and Tweeters

Thanks. I did and sprayed Deoxit on them too. It seems to run okay, just the tach.

PaulG

Quote from: Woofers and Tweeters on July 13, 2019, 04:34:55 PM
Thanks. I did and sprayed Deoxit on them too. It seems to run okay, just the tach.

Also take out the ignitor box from under the fairing. The signal wire for the tach runs from the coil to it.  There can be oxidation inside as well. If the issue reoccurrs (as it did with mine), then you will have to clean them. Also lube with dielectric grease to prevent any future problems.  Took me a couple of times to figure this out but haven't had it reoccurr in many years since I did this.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Woofers and Tweeters

Quote from: PaulG on July 14, 2019, 09:27:53 AM
Quote from: Woofers and Tweeters on July 13, 2019, 04:34:55 PM

Also take out the ignitor box from under the fairing. The signal wire for the tach runs from the coil to it.  There can be oxidation inside as well. If the issue reoccurrs (as it did with mine), then you will have to clean them. Also lube with dielectric grease to prevent any future problems.  Took me a couple of times to figure this out but haven't had it reoccurr in many years since I did this.

Thank you. In your repair, you did not have to replace the coils?

krusty

This reminded me of the same problem I had with my 89 GL1500 Goldwing  that I bought eighteen months ago. I took it for its first shakedown run and the tacho was reading double.
This was very puzzling so I did some research on a GW website and found a posting suggesting checking the coolant level. WT! Well, it was an easy thing to do,  I checked it and found the coolant was a little low so I topped it up. Surprise, surprise, surprise (channeling Gomer there) it worked!! Tacho now reading normally.
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Woofers and Tweeters

Coolant? Who would have thought. Was there a sensor not seeing coolant, or...?

PaulG

Quote from: Woofers and Tweeters on July 14, 2019, 09:56:57 AM
Thank you. In your repair, you did not have to replace the coils?

Nope.  I inspected them for cracks, but it was just oxidation at both ends. My coils are original from '92 and haven't had any issues yet.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

spdbk1

Quote from: Woofers and Tweeters on July 13, 2019, 03:22:55 PM
I have a 92 FJ that the tac reads double. Was told that it's the coils. Anyone have some for sale or advice on where to buy them? I'm in central Kentucky

Thanks in advance hi 50 for coils 949 683 3120
James

FJ_Hooligan

If the engine is running then your coils are fine.

You're looking for a bad/corroded connection on the tach signal wire
DavidR.