News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Aftermarket Handle Bar Options

Started by aviationfred, August 03, 2019, 12:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

I have noticed that there have been a few FJ owners that have sold their FJ's because age has crept up on them and the OEM handle bars are a bit too low and forward for them. A bad back or arthritic hips can make even a slight forward lean to the bars unbearable.

I have found a number of great solutions. None are inexpensive, but ALL of these choices work to increase the joy of riding our beloved beasts.

1: The simple and easiest riser to install. The RPM riser http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3AHandleBarRiser

2: The solid handle bar mod. Gives you the ability to change the angle of the bar and the use of different bars with different pull back heights. http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3ASpieglerHandleBarKit

3: After Market Clip-on bars. Gives you choices on the rise height and diameter when placing your order. Whether you have OEM forks, YZF, FZR, GSX-R or any other, you can order the needed diameter that fits the top of the fork. These are true clip-ons that allow you to slide the forks up or down in the clip-ons. You can also rotate the clip-ons forward for a wider position for max leverage while riding the twistys, or rotate them towards the rear which will narrow the clip-ons a bit and gives a more upright and relaxed riding position for the long Super Slab rides. http://www.fastfromthepast.com/56-0022

4: Another Clip-on option. Not as adjustable as the Tarozzi bars, but IMO these look better. https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/products/bike-controls/hand-controls?filtercache=e9153084-b5e4-46ca-af59-752714a91cd2

I have personally used all 4 of these options.   

Fred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Tuned forks

I had to use the RPM spacers for the health reasons you listed.  That, the Vibranators and rebuilding my forks with RPM internals made a big difference.

Fred, check your last link.  Doesn't seem to work.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

aviationfred

Quote from: Tuned forks on August 03, 2019, 12:18:10 AM
I had to use the RPM spacers for the health reasons you listed.  That, the Vibranators and rebuilding my forks with RPM internals made a big difference.

Fred, check your last link.  Doesn't seem to work.

Joe

The link is fixed. Thank you for pointing that out.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

krusty

I'm 6'1" and find the stock FJ riding position just right and more comfortable than my GL1500 Goldwing.  I find the GL riding  position too upright.
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Dieselman7.3

I like the idea of the "super bike" bars, or a one piece bar like an mx style. My problem is that I do t want to keep buying bars until I find one I like.  With the rpm riaser can you change the angle of the stock bars (ie. Less pull back. More of a straight bar)
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

ribbert

Quote from: Dieselman7.3 on August 03, 2019, 08:25:12 AM
I like the idea of the "super bike" bars, or a one piece bar like an mx style. My problem is that I do t want to keep buying bars until I find one I like.  With the rpm riaser can you change the angle of the stock bars (ie. Less pull back. More of a straight bar)

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm fortunate that I find the FJ comfortable, I still pull up well even after a 1000km day (which says a lot about the bike at my age) but there's no denying there's something very comfortable about an upright riding position. I have such a bike and following the first day of a recent big ride I was hurting and aching in places never before experienced.
The distance itself was something I ride regularly and was no big deal but this ride had been nearly all in 2nd and 3rd gear and occasionally 1st, it was literally nothing but corners for 14 hrs.

I figured out that gunning it out of every corner and from low speed, the acceleration was rapid. Sitting upright I literally needed to hang on and hold my entire upper body forward. Hanging on of course also requires a tight grip on the bars which is no good either.

If you do the sort or trips or ride as described above, it is something to consider, you literally have to hang on under acceleration. The thing I most disliked was constantly coming into the next corner still with the death grip on the bars from the exiting the previous one. As the day wore on it became increasingly difficult to relax my grip.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Dieselman7.3

I find the Fj to be very comfortable but I do feel like I'm leaning forward or stretching my arms straight. I think if the bars were an inch or so higher and back an inch or so (not bent in but straight back from where they are) I think that would sit or I would sit very comfortable
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

ribbert

Quote from: Dieselman7.3 on August 03, 2019, 10:09:44 AM
I find the Fj to be very comfortable but I do feel like I'm leaning forward or stretching my arms straight. I think if the bars were an inch or so higher and back an inch or so (not bent in but straight back from where they are) I think that would sit or I would sit very comfortable

You're right, the benefits of that amount up and back are well documented, without compromising  the slightly prone position.

I'm also one of the weirdos that has no complaint with the seat. 200k on it and I've never had the slightest inclination to change it. On the BMW is was the first thing I got rid of.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Bud Wilkinson

Fred,
This is exactly the information I have been searching for to go with my front end change. Very  timely indeed.
Thanks.
RZ 350 - Sold.
Honda CB600 Hurricane - Sold.
85 FJ1100 - Sold - Sadley Deceased.
Honda Silverwing - Sold Real Fast
02 Harley V-Rod - Sold-COVID 19.
87 FJ1200 - Riding - YZF600R Wheel and suspension done.

Bud

T Legg

Quote from Noel
I'm also one of the weirdos that has no complaint with the seat. 200k on it and I've never had the slightest inclination to change it. On the BMW is was the first thing I got rid of.

My first fj has a Corbin gunfighter seat and it's comfortable and looks good. My second fj has the stock seat and I think it is more comfortable especially on longer rides.It is also much lighter than the Corbin.
T Legg

mtc

Quote from: ribbert on August 03, 2019, 09:30:54 AM
Quote from: Dieselman7.3 on August 03, 2019, 08:25:12 AM

Be careful what you wish for.

I'm fortunate that I find the FJ comfortable, I still pull up well even after a 1000km day (which says a lot about the bike at my age) but there's no denying there's something very comfortable about an upright riding position. I have such a bike and following the first day of a recent big ride I was hurting and aching in places never before experienced.
The distance itself was something I ride regularly and was no big deal but this ride had been nearly all in 2nd and 3rd gear and occasionally 1st, it was literally nothing but corners for 14 hrs.

I figured out that gunning it out of every corner and from low speed, the acceleration was rapid. Sitting upright I literally needed to hang on and hold my entire upper body forward. Hanging on of course also requires a tight grip on the bars which is no good either.

If you do the sort or trips or ride as described above, it is something to consider, you literally have to hang on under acceleration. The thing I most disliked was constantly coming into the next corner still with the death grip on the bars from the exiting the previous one. As the day wore on it became increasingly difficult to relax my grip.

Noel

small tank grips cured the death grip for me
Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1979 Yamaha XS1100 best one
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor