News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

My fj1200 Wheel Mods 1992 fzr1000 front 1988 fzr 1000 rear Finished

Started by ccsct203, April 25, 2010, 07:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccsct203

with great rotors and good calipers I would be stupid to keep the old fj1100 master cylinder.
thats my next project.
for now my brakes are bled all i need to do is to balance my wheels (thanks harbor freight and Napa) change my rear sprocket15/42 (those 55mph first gear runs are not for me with the 17/38 sprockets) and rebuild my clutch slave friday and I'm riding.
My wife and I looked are the 2010 $27K Spyder she wants us to get. She's buying but my FJ1100/1200 stays.
If it's not broken, fix it anyways

ccsct203

my first impression of the bike with modifications
never paint wheels white.....
I did a 150 mile ride today.
scrubbed in the tires...wow the bike feels so much more confident. the long sweeping turns are just awesome, be in the right gear and point and click. the bike no longer feels like a shopping carriage. I rode with my CMA buddies and they mostly ride cruisers. Other then myself there were only 2 sport touring in a field of 30+ bikes.
The R1 brakes are everything i had hoped and more. I do need to change the M/C but that can wait a few weeks.
I also found my front end dive more then I am happy with. the 88 fzr1000 forks had progressive spring and the are way to soft.
Any idea on springs???
I weight 205lbs with full leathers and boots.

Yamifj1200

1.0kg straight rate springs.... Traxxon sells a nice set Omni springs if I remember correctly... you wont be unhappy..

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Pat Conlon

Quote from: ccsct203 on April 27, 2010, 02:25:41 PM
"...... change my rear sprocket 15/42 (those 55mph first gear runs are not for me with the 17/38 sprockets)

Is that a misprint? You went to a 15 tooth counter sprocket? Why?
I understand about the 17/38 being a bit tall, but sheesh, that's quite a change.
With the 15/42 combo, what are your rpms at a 70-80mph cruise? Planning on any long trips?

Several FJ'ers have found that our chains seen to last a bit longer when we switched from the oem 17 to a the bigger 18 tooth c/s. A 15 tooth c/s is tiny, and it's gotta be hard on the chain.

Congrats, your bike looks great! 
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ccsct203

Quote from: Pat Conlon on May 01, 2010, 11:19:00 PM
Quote from: ccsct203 on April 27, 2010, 02:25:41 PM
"...... change my rear sprocket 15/42 (those 55mph first gear runs are not for me with the 17/38 sprockets)

Is that a misprint? You went to a 15 tooth counter sprocket? Why?
I understand about the 17/38 being a bit tall, but sheesh, that's quite a change.
With the 15/42 combo, what are your rpms at a 70-80mph cruise? Planning on any long trips?

Several FJ'ers have found that our chains seen to last a bit longer when we switched from the oem 17 to a the bigger 18 tooth c/s. A 15 tooth c/s is tiny, and it's gotta be hard on the chain.

Congrats, your bike looks great! 

great point
I had real issues with my 17/38 sprockets
With the Mikuni Flats i needed to down shift uphills because the bike would bog down (Too rich still)
I wanted to see how it would run seeing the ride would be mostly Connecticut back roads and twisties.
The bike did great.
Gearing does need to be changed. My cams are mid range torque cams and the 17/40 may work better then the 17/38
I'll have to play with the final counter and the rear sprockets
I need a good all around ratio for highway and back roads
Ideas?

SlowOldGuy

ccsct203

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on May 03, 2010, 04:49:13 PM
I like my current 18/42 combination

DavidR.
David,
I did the comparison with  stock and you are fairly close to oem. I guess you will have less wear with the 18 tooth front.
I installed 17/43 and i'll be running about 4150 rpm at 65 compared to your 70 mph at the same rpm.
stock is about 69mph at 4150rpm

SlowOldGuy

For the 1100, the stock combination was 17/42. 
I went with the 18 to get a little more gear for all the stupid straight roads down here.  The FJ easily pulls this combo.  Could help with chain wear, I've got a DID VM with over 20k on it and have never had to adjust it.  I'm not a big chain maintenance type either.  Probably lube it twice a year and a shot of WD-40 maybe once a month (when I remember).

DavidR.

wags89

Bike looks great! Is the "blue page" the only resource you used for the conversion(rear wheel) I bought an FZR1000 4.5x18 wheel last year off ebay (at least that's what he said it was from). It looks like yours – I also bought a red one (same story). Is there any way to tell for sure if it's the correct wheel? Anyway, I tried to enlarge the diagrams at the bottom of the page, for the spacers, etc. but I guess my eyes are going bad – I can't read some of the dimensions. Trying to get this done before an upcoming ride('specially cause the old back tire is shot) Thanks for any help, Wags
I think I sent a PM to ya - but I'm having some issues with outlook

ccsct203

starting from the cush drive...
the staggered spacer in the cush drive get reduced on the wheel bearing side by 2mm
the center spacer between bearings get manufactured it is 132mm with a id of 120mm and max od of 125mm.
the spacer on the brake rotor side is the same bearing spacer used between the left swing arm and cush drive. buy at Bikebandit.com under oem parts for the FJ1100
have the brake arm milled 2mm on the inside and 5mm on the outside.
there is no seal on the brake rotor bearing so make sure you use "sealed bearings" not shielded or open bearings.

Alf

Quote from: ccsct203 on May 05, 2010, 06:28:41 AM

there is no seal on the brake rotor bearing so make sure you use "sealed bearings" not shielded or open bearings.

The wheel bearings (2) size are 20x47x14,  6204RS code
The seal measures are 20x40x7.

I´m now working in this conversion for a friend