News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Alternator

Started by Starquest, August 09, 2019, 11:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starquest

Hello. Last week I removed the alternator for some maintenance and I saw a hole next to the flange mounting bolt hole that goes straight to the alternator winding. It's normal o I have to plug it

Starquest

I have a question. Why the alternator's o ring are different between years? The alternator p/m are the same for all years.

FJmonkey

Where do see different part numbers? 
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

RPM - Robert

84-88 has a wider o-ring and the 89 and up has a thinner o-ring. The alternator is the same part number but the body was changed. Just like the original 1984 and I think 1985 1100 had a two bolt alternator. Still the same part number because they are all interchangeable. The parts between the two may not be but if you buy the superseded number it would bolt right on to any FJ even it is is a two bolt engine the three bolt alternator would work.

Short winded answer. The bodies are different.

Starquest

The 84-88 o ring p/n is 36y-81642-50 and is 3.50 mm. The 89 on is p/n 2kt-8164250 and 2.40mm on thickness.

Starquest

Robert. I sent you the carburetors for cleaning. Did you received them yet? By the way, when I took my alternator off the bike, it had the thin o ring. Was leaking a little bit.  I tried to put the thicker o ring and didn't fit right. I did put in by tightening the bolts. It broke off.

RPM - Robert

Yes, I sent you an email regarding the carburetors last Friday. I will forward it again.

If someone put a later model alternator on an early model bike you would need the 2KT o-ring. The channel for the 36Y is deeper and wider, probably by about 1mm. Pictures are always helpful.

Starquest

I didn't receive  any mail. Are you sure you got the right e-mail? The deep of the groove is around 2mm and the wide around 2.75 at the bottom.

RPM - Robert

I would presume it is correct. I replied to the email that you sent me. You may want to check your spam folder. I resent it again this morning.

RPM - Robert

Quote from: Starquest on August 14, 2019, 12:10:57 PM
The deep of the groove is around 2mm and the wide around 2.75 at the bottom.

I would say you need the 2KT for your alternator. If it is only 2mm deep and 2.75mm wide the 36Y is 1.50mm higher than the outer edge of the alternator housing. Which is too much to try and force into the crankcase. It should slide in by hand.

Starquest

Ok. I'll try this weekend to work on the bike.A few things to fix,nothing major.The big deal is still I can't ride the bike for another 2 months after my achilles injury.Patience,patience.

Starquest

Well. I did put it yesterday the 2.40mm o ring on the alternator. It fitted good on the engine. I guess the P.0 changed the alternator for 89 up models. Mine is an 86.

Starquest

Doing some maintenance found the alternator and the ignition switch connectors melted.Check and pull them apart.

aviationfred

Quote from: Starquest on August 24, 2019, 04:47:10 PM
Doing some maintenance found the alternator and the ignition switch connectors melted.Check and pull them apart.

RPM sells the connectors with new pins for the ignition switch connector. http://rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=M%2FC%3AIginitionPlugKit

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Starquest

Thanks, Fred.I have the connectors.What kind of crimp tool I need for the connectors?