News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Gone but NOT forgotten

Started by ribbert, August 13, 2019, 08:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

I spoke to Arnie on the phone today.  I miss his forum contributions greatly, he was a cornerstone of the original FJ community from it's earliest days and has thousands of posts to his credit and is one of a handfull of guys here that know their stuff. His departure was a great loss to the forum.

Anyway, he has done what any self respecting motorcyclist does when they are on the wrong side of 70, buy a 170hp / 180 kg rocketship, an Aprilia Tuono. I know there are many here who may not necessarily wish to contact him but would like to know what he's up to. I hope to catch up with him for lunch later in the week.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

racerrad8

Quote from: ribbert on August 13, 2019, 08:03:52 AM
His departure was a great loss to the forum.

Noel

If Arnie is forgotten,  then that is based on his decision to no longer participate on the forum. He made the choice after stomping off because he did not get his way in regard to the RPM banner at the top of every page.

Arnie, has never responded to my email or pm that I sent him to discuss his dissent when he got mad.

Arnie has anyways been welcome to participate and he made the choice to stop.

If he's is forgotten,  all he has to do is look in the mirror.

If he wants to participate,  his account is still active and is more than welcome back.

The choice is his and his only.

Randy - RPM 
Randy - RPM

X-Ray

Thanks for the update Noel. Hopefully Arnie might catch up with everyone in March next year at Dartmouth on his new bike, (will have to look that one up)  :good2:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Motofun

This got me thinking....How many of us that were in the original Yahoo group chat room are still around?  I think I started when there were only 300 posts on that site....That had to be over 20 years ago by now.
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

Pat Conlon

From the USA West Coast I'm still here, East Coast: In addition to you and Nancy, FrankM, DavidR, HenryR, Dean, BillR, ChrisP and that old guy from Colorado, Lee Carkenord are still around. FrankM still has Brutus and DavidR still has his pristine FJ, but I recall HenryR (FJR) Dean (KTM) and Lee (Suzuki Bandit) moved on to other motorcycles....but they do pop in from time to time.

If I missed someone, I apologize, please chime in....

A good question would be, who is still here from the Netpath days?
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJ_Hooligan

They are usually only vocal around the Rally times but there's TRoy, Danny Lewis, and Rossi (Rock)
DavidR.

gdfj12

Pat, Dave, I'm still paying attention to this board, lurking around at least once a month. I've been busy with life, like many people and have been working on rebuilding 3 FJ's. My '89 1200, an '85 1100 I got from my brother and since I inherited Calvins' '86(7?) I'm going to spruce it up and. Mine is now a 1250 and is running like a beast. The other 2 bikes are still early in the process.

George in MI
George D
'89 FJ1250 ~'90-black/blue
'87 FJ1250 ~streetfighter project
'89 FJ1200 ~white/silver, resto project
'88 Honda Hawk GT, resto project

Bob

I'm still lurking. My '93 FJ is sitting in pieces, waiting for a winter restoration project.
Can't see myself ever selling it... I'm the original owner and after 25 years it's had its share of mods.

Nice to see the rest of you are still here.

Bob N.
'93 FJ
'17 V-Strom DL650
Whitby, ON

ribbert

Quote from: Bob on September 11, 2019, 08:47:24 AM
I'm still lurking. My '93 FJ is sitting in pieces, waiting for a winter restoration project.
Can't see myself ever selling it... I'm the original owner and after 25 years it's had its share of mods.

Hey Bob, why is your FJ in pieces?
Surely after 25 years ownership there are plenty of memories to inspire you to get it back on the road pronto, and you've got the best model.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Bob

Quote from: ribbert on September 11, 2019, 08:53:31 AM
Quote from: Bob on September 11, 2019, 08:47:24 AM

Hey Bob, why is your FJ in pieces?
Surely after 25 years ownership there are plenty of memories to inspire you to get it back on the road pronto, and you've got the best model.

Noel

My plan is to get it back on the road by July, 2020 (I've been told that the garage space will be confiscated otherwise).

Stuff to do...
- redo the wiring ... over the years I've relayed the horns, lights and aux. Time to clean it all up.
- rebuild front forks ... I have chromed a '93 GSXR front end
- replace the rotors ... the expensive POS Harrison 6-pot calipers keep warping them. They're beautiful and match my PM wheels, but I'll probably have to swap them for stock GSXR calipers. 
- clean up some cosmetic stuff ... the black top plastic has lots of scratches
- paint the headers ... I want nice glossy black headers
...and whatever else I can think of.

I will be documenting my efforts here as I go.

Q: what is the preferred way to include pictures here?
Google photos supplies links like https://photos.app.goo.gl/2zYCBRneB97p3rKC9 which do not work well with the tags.
Bob N.
'93 FJ
'17 V-Strom DL650
Whitby, ON

ribbert

Quote from: Bob on September 11, 2019, 09:04:05 AM

Q: what is the preferred way to include pictures here?

Everyone seems to have their own preference. I put mine on a web hosting site (Flickr) where I can edit, add text and choose size then copy and paste the link straight into the post and the photo appears with the post whether you are logged in or not.
This also gives me an offline cache of every photo I've ever posted here in one spot.

Noel

mst3kguy

Checking in as Yahoo user,  Netpath user, and even old reeky member (rec.motorcycles) and DoD member.
dean
2014 triumph street triple r
2019 ktm 1290 superduke gt

ddlewis

I started on Netpath around 98/99 and yahoo shortly after.   The yahoo list is where I found out Calvin and Eric lived within 10 miles and they got me going to rallies..  for many (15?) years I read every word posted on yahoo.  Then Marsh started this forum and it eventually killed yahoo.  Now I only skim the headlines every few weeks.

fj1289

Quote from: Pat Conlon on August 15, 2019, 11:27:17 AM
From the USA West Coast I'm still here, East Coast: In addition to you and Nancy, FrankM, DavidR, HenryR, Dean, BillR, ChrisP and that old guy from Colorado, Lee Carkenord are still around. FrankM still has Brutus and DavidR still has his pristine FJ, but I recall HenryR (FJR) Dean (KTM) and Lee (Suzuki Bandit) moved on to other motorcycles....but they do pop in from time to time.

If I missed someone, I apologize, please chime in....

A good question would be, who is still here from the Netpath days?

I was on the yahoo group - couldn't believe it when I got back from a deployment and the group had "split".  Glad this group has continued to grow.  People's interests and enthusiasms wax and wane over time - still miss the extra "spice" Klavdy brought to these spaces too!