News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Started by ribbert, August 17, 2019, 08:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

I was at the hardware shop today trying to figure out the best way to tie some 2.4 m lengths of ally tube to the FJ when an old bloke walked past and commented it was "a great day for riding".
Now, most of you will know that when someone says that, what they mean is "I also have a bike and I'd like to tell you about it"

Early in the conversation it became obvious he was much sharper than his aged appearance would suggest and he was fascinating to listen to. He started riding in 1948 and has ridden continuously all his life and all over the world. His favourite is NZ having shipped his own bike over there many times.

His recollection of motorcycle specs, roads, countries, trips and places etc was almost encyclopedic and I could hear the excitement in his voice escalating and see the sparkle in his eyes as he spoke of his passion for riding. His last new bike was a 2000 model BMW R which he still owned but hadn't ridden for a couple of years. I thought he must have wisely conceded he was too old to ride and given it away but when I alluded to this he said "old be damned! My left ankle was fused after an accident 3 years ago and it's too hard changing gears". His spine had also been fused from an earlier accident but it had not stopped him riding.

He was 90 yo and said he will never sell his bike. It will stay in the garage until he dies and in the meantime he sits with it occasionally, reliving all the wonderful adventures he has had on it and all it's predecessors.
He said there is still not a day goes by that when he sees a bike on the road or one flashes past him in the traffic that he doesn't have a longing to ride, so strong he can feel it in his core.

As for understanding the life long motorcycling affliction, he not only got it, he still had it at 90. Chatting with him for 10 mins was one of those brief encounters we all have occasionally that makes our day.

I would love to think some "young" bloke will have that conversation with me in a hardware store carpark in 25 years time.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Troyskie

Nice one Noel  :good2: :good2:
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

roverfj1200

I have found it can take a be of coaching to get those experienced  riders to talk but when you do it is magical.

Thanks for sharing Noel

1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

Bones

And I can just imagine their face when saying back to you: You took a road bike where?  :shok:

A lot of people think the old folk have nothing to offer, but I've had a few occasions where you hear their stories and some are fascinating.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

red

Quote from: ribbert on August 17, 2019, 08:47:51 AMan old bloke walked past and commented it was "a great day for riding".  Now, most of you will know that when someone says that, what they mean is "I also have a bike and I'd like to tell you about it"
His last new bike was a 2000 model BMW R which he still owned but hadn't ridden for a couple of years. I thought he must have wisely conceded he was too old to ride and given it away but when I alluded to this he said "old be damned! My left ankle was fused after an accident 3 years ago and it's too hard changing gears". His spine had also been fused from an earlier accident but it had not stopped him riding.
Noel
Noel,

Nice story!  I would like to find that guy, and inquire if he had tried a heel-&-toe shifter lever.  He would probably need to have one made, but I rode with one (a Ducati) for years, and it only seems odd.  In reality, it is just cake, and it does not mess up your shoes.   :yes:   Alternately, I would be looking for a solenoid-powered electric shifter, to fit on the existing shift lever. 

There may be good reasons to quit riding at some point, but a fused ankle may not be the right reason.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

krusty

It could be a licence issue. I don't know what the regs are in Victoria. In NSW he would be required to do a regular driving tests and produce medical certificates.
https://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov.au/stayingsafe/ontheroad-65plus/licences.html

When I was doing rider instruction there was an old bloke from a local club in his 80s and would turn up for his test on a WLA Harley with sidecar. I especially remember his riding footwear - sandals with socks, all weathers all seasons. IIRC the WLA had a hand operated shifter.
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

Sparky84

Great read Noel, inspiring.

So did you get the full length ally tubes home?

Or Did you cut them into 800mm pieces  :wacko3:
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on August 17, 2019, 11:13:27 PM

Haha, yes I did Alan, I ocker strapped them veritcally to the pannier frames.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

krusty

Quote from: ribbert on August 18, 2019, 12:13:56 AM
Quote from: Sparky84 on August 17, 2019, 11:13:27 PM

Haha, yes I did Alan, I ocker strapped them vertically to the pannier frames.

Noel
Take a tour of Vietnam and you'll learn how to carry anything on a bike.
I once saw a woman dragging a 20'  piece of bamboo behind her bike. Another time four pigs - two across the rear seat and one on each side like panniers, hog tied?. An airconditioner strapped to a back seat. Two guys on a bike with the pillion passenger holding a car windscreen, crosswise!! There's many more I can't remember.
91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

X-Ray

That would have been such a great talk, even if it was a short one. Thats the thing, these older people with such interesting stories to tell wont be around forever, then it will be our turn to tell the stories
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

ribbert

Quote from: X-Ray on August 18, 2019, 07:36:53 AM

Thats the thing, these older people with such interesting stories to tell wont be around forever.......

I know Ray, but I'm doing my best to hang in there.

Noel

ribbert

Quote from: Bones on August 17, 2019, 05:18:28 PM
And I can just imagine their face when saying back to you: You took a road bike where?  :shok:

A lot of people think the old folk have nothing to offer, but I've had a few occasions where you hear their stories and some are fascinating.

One of my contracts is an aged care facility. It would be easy to assume the residents are just boring people who lead boring lives and have become old, but I have met some of the most amazing people who have lead the most extraordinary lives. One bloke was an aircraft mechanic during WW2 and was qualified to perform maintenance on air frame, engines and instruments. One of the many planes he worked on was Dragon Rapides in the highlands of New Guinea. After the war he set up flying schools up and down the east coast of Aus buying every Tiger Moth he could find, the going rate for one back then was 40 quid, he had dozens of them. He finished his working life as head of maintenance for Qantas! He was 93, he looked 63, had a head of hair I would have been proud of any age and his memory was perfect, oh the stories. Another resident who had run marathons in 27 countries, another, a journalist who had interviewed Castro. A bloke who became insanely wealthy doing no more than disposing of offal (and said he would never eat a hamburger as long as he lived) People who had travelled extensively in an era when it was not common and tourists were largely unheard of in much of the world. Pioneering Outback farmers, an opera singer who toured Europe in the 50's and so on.

You're right Tony, the oldies that haven't been robbed of their memories are certainly amazing to talk to.

This is just one facility, in one city in one short period of time. Wow, the stories that must be out there.

Noel

aviationfred

That is a great story Noel. Great comments also. For those of us not privy to Australian lingo.... what is Offal??

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Tuned forks

Quote from: aviationfred on August 18, 2019, 06:51:12 PM
That is a great story Noel. Great comments also. For those of us not privy to Australian lingo.... what is Offal??

Fred

I think this definition fits the narrative.

Joe

noun
the entrails and internal organs of an animal used as food.
"eating pieces of braised offal turned his stomach"
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket