News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

PROJECT 92

Started by Urban_Legend, August 20, 2019, 07:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: Urban_Legend on September 14, 2019, 12:59:55 AM
I got around to pulling a bit more off the 92 today. I was hoping to get it to a bare frame, but my trolley jack is broken and I wasn't going to lift it by myself.
I am getting a nice pile of parts in one corner and a hoarders nest of new bits on my shelves.

I am thinking I will get the frame and associated bits sand blasted and professionally painted., then I can start on the rebuilding task.

Mark, have you considered rattle can paint on the exposed bits of the frame, after all, there's not much of it and the goal is to end up with a flash looking bike that's great to ride, not a concours garage queen.
I guarantee you couldn't pick my frame from a stripped and professionally painted one and who looks that closely. If you are going to use the bike regularly, how long will the bits you can't see look good for anyway?

There are plenty of things that would enhance the ride and the look that would be better bang for buck (IMO)
You might even decide some (or all) of the frame looks better black. There are some excellent examples of such bikes out there, the one below has my favourite, the front rails painted out, I think it looks way better. To me, those down tubes really look like a retro engineered after thought from a length of re-purposed scaffolding, they don't flow.

Anyway, whatever makes you happy is the right choice, just as long as you've given some thought to it.

You asked a while back if anyone knew of a lift table for sale not too far away, yeah, working on the floor sucks. I know you're a handy man on the tools, why don't you knock yourself up a timber bench and get yourself a mechanics stool, they're not very expensive ($60 SCA) and far more useful than you would imagine.

When I started work in the late 60's lift tables hadn't been invented, not even for workshops and timber benches and ramps were a common sight (so was working on your knees on concrete all day). As there was no such purpose built item, the benches were commonly made by the mechanics from timber bike crates. (work places were different back then) Anything was better than working on the floor, crouched over or lying down on the concrete. It doesn't need to be flash, just sturdy.

You know Mark, you could probably have a brand new hydraulic /pneumatic lift table delivered to your door for the cost of the frame strip and paint!

Whatever you end up doing, it's a great project and you've previously shown you have skill to do it. Do we get to see it at the rally?

Preaching to the converted here, but even after 220k recreational km's over the last 10 years, the magnificence of the FJ is always a conscious thought whenever I ride it.  I will sometimes take it to the local shops for milk and bread simply because I haven't ridden it for a few days and miss it.

The RT does everything better but it's just not an FJ!

Not wishing to start a model war here but, you're gonna love that thing when you get it on the road Mark.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Urban_Legend

Great insight there Noel. I was originally going to rattle can paint the frame, but there is some rust forming in places that make normal sanding hard. At least if it's stripped back to bare metal and painted properly, I don't have to worry about it.

My 84 has a black frame, which seems to make it disappear. I do like the look of the 3xw you pictured.

The lift table is a luxury that I thought would be nice, but not essential. I built the 84 in a she a quarter of the size than the one I have now.

Now the the 92 is nearly completely stripped, I could put it back together on a raised platform.
Hopefully this one won't have the electrical gremlins the Sparkles has.

I don't think I will have it ready for the next rally, as this is a much more budget oriented build. And I don't have a Triumph Daytona to sell this time to fund my impatience.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Urban_Legend

OK brains trust. I have found a crack in the frame of the 92. Can these be safely welded? It is o. The join of the bottom portion of the upper rail. Near where the foot plates bolt on.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

X-Ray

Ahhh bugger Mark! I'm thinking that could be cleaned up and Mig or Tig welded back to good as new. Will be good to check all of the frame and find someone who can do the repair to a safe standard. Read a few cases of FZ6 frames cracking on the Aussie forums, and some were rewelded with a plate also welded over the repair, so it can be done.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Tuned forks

Mark, as X-Ray stated the frame can be welded.  However it will likely need to be gusseted or it will crack again.  You'll need the services of a welder that is knowledgeable in automotive welding.  The inside of the frame might also have substantial rust if water has been leeching into the frame.  Might be worth drilling a drain hole wherever you think water would congregate.  There are so many FJ's being parted out here in the states that I have to wonder, wouldn't it be feasible to find another frame in Australia?  I am aware you might have registration difficulties with a different VIN sequence.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

T Legg

I would think it could be repaired but it looks like the part below the crack is smaller than the piece above.Im guessing the lower section was inserted into the upper section then welded at the factory so there may be a piece of the lower tubing broken inside of the upper  tubing
T Legg

Urban_Legend

The crisis may have been averted with Diesel Dave coming to the rescue with a frame, only a few months difference in build dates.

Only have to get it from Sydney to Grafton, but hoping that XRay be able to help with that on his way back from Troyski's shed day.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

ribbert

Mark, no biggy, it doesn't need gussetting or reinforcing, the bead of weld is all it needs. In fact, the welded frame is probably stronger than an uncracked one as it appears to be a flaw in some of them.

The best FJ in the country (the owner may not wish his bike to be identified) cracked there many years and several hundred thousand km's ago and remains perfect to this day with just a single bead of weld.

Must be a bit of a weakness. Relatively, I don't see that many FJ's but I've repaired a couple of those cracks in that exact spot. In both cases it was the LHS but I welded both.

OK everyone, out with your torches and off to the garage...... :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on September 15, 2019, 05:19:21 AM

Noel

I'll bring my Torch to Nowra in a couple of weeks  :good:

1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on September 15, 2019, 05:28:43 AM

Noel

Err....Alan, that would be next week!

Noel

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on September 15, 2019, 05:52:48 AM

Noel

Noel

I don't think so Noel,
(well I hope not)

1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on September 15, 2019, 06:15:46 AM
Quote from: ribbert on September 15, 2019, 05:52:48 AM

Noel

Noel

I don't think so Noel,
(well I hope not)

After a mild panic I checked. The manshed is 27th-29th Sept. Friday this week is the 20th and next week the 27th.

That makes sense to me but I'm still a tad worried. Have I got the right year dates?

Noel

Troyskie

Quote from: Urban_Legend on September 14, 2019, 10:16:00 PM
OK brains trust. I have found a crack in the frame of the 92. Can these be safely welded? It is o. The join of the bottom portion of the upper rail. Near where the foot plates bolt on.
Mate, I'm not a welder but I know a few at work. They reckon this can be welded, MIG would be best, but you could get it TIG'd. The crack seems pretty old and all the way around. Their best guess is the weld didn't lap over the two parts evenly enough and has come away. Given there's been no movement in such a long crack (you'd see 'sooting' around the crack) supports a safe to weld guess. They also said if you did weld grind back the old weld a bit and both edges to see if there is anything else wrong before welding.

But, if Diesel has already sorted you out, go for a new one!
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

ribbert

Quote from: Troyskie on September 16, 2019, 03:49:37 AM
Quote from: Urban_Legend on September 14, 2019, 10:16:00 PM

............ Their best guess is the weld didn't lap over the two parts evenly enough and has come away....

Having had the chance to inspect first hand, that is also my take on it. Even though there were signs the cracks were not new, there was little evidence of movement or stress.

Pete's a welder, where are you Pete?

Noel

oldktmdude

Weld it no problems at all. Grind, preheat and use low hydrogen electrodes or MIG. Looks as if it was not welded properly at the production line.
Get Ray to bring it down to Troys and we'll have a go at welding it up late on Saturday night. I could run a frame welding course after the usual  Manshed  :drinks: Saturday arvo drink or two.
Seriously, welding would be easy.
   Regards, Pete.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure