News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

PROJECT 92

Started by Urban_Legend, August 20, 2019, 07:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

While i am waiting on a few parts, I thought i might as well check the valve shims. About half of them were out of spec. Just glad I kept the shims out of the old 1100 motor.  Here is a little video i did

I have also been doing some repairs on the fairing.  It had most of the air scoop tabs missing.  All good now though.

Mark

https://youtu.be/_ByX_m850UI

https://youtu.be/qV3uansUpRc
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Old Rider

Nice videos Mark ! did the valveshim adjustment help on the running on 3 cylinder problem ?

Urban_Legend

Don't know yet. Will let you know when I know.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Urban_Legend

Ok. So it is running better. Still sounds like it only on 3, but still better. I will give it it a car clean and another balance and hopefully it will be all good.

I am going to toss the stock airbox,  and put on pods, so will raise the needles one spot to start off too.

https://youtu.be/bk_YOXemyVQ
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

ribbert

Good stuff Mark, it's starting to look like a motorbike, a nice clean freshly painted one! Once you've "demystified" one and stripped it to the frame, and in your case split the cases as well, there's not much to them is there.

I know the smoothness of the 3XW's had been mentioned many times in the context of your build but have you ridden one? Smooth? I've never replaced a single globe in mine, ever!

Keep us updated and I look forward to seeing it in the flesh, if we ever get to have an interstate gathering again before I'm too old to ride!!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Urban_Legend

Thanks Noel. No, I have never ridden one of the "modern " 4th gen FJ's. Only Sparkles and Petes bike. The 92 is all new to me. Fuel pumps, Hazard Lights, 15 piece fairing etc are all new to me.
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Sparky84

Quote from: Urban_Legend on August 23, 2020, 05:08:06 AM
Ok. So it is running better. Still sounds like it only on 3, but still better.

Try reterminating the caps onto leads and while you have caps off leads, check their resistance and make sure they are tightened up inside the cap.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Urban_Legend

The Project 92 has gone ahead in leaps and bounds in recent weeks. I will post some photos and video soon, but lets just say it is very close to being on the road.
In the last few weeks I have -
Refurbished and installed the Silver Spot brake calipers.
Fitted FJR brake and clutch master cylinders
Refurbished the slave cylinder
Tuned, balanced and cleaned the carbs -  she is running sweet now.
Found and fixed an issue with the gear selection - more info on this later.
Stripped and repainted the wheels - now with a polished lip and Tungsten colour on the spokes.
Fitted a new DID chain
Fitted HEL braided brake lines
Painted the previously polished clutch cover, Crank end cap cover, Timing cover and the alternator cover in Tungsten to match the wheels and forks
Fitted the main fairing and associated parts.

So whats left to do

I still have to rebuild the forks. This should have been done months ago, but apparently I like pulling stuff apart and redoing it.
New tyres. The current ones are many years past their best and have gone hard.
Still waiting on my CBR mirrors to turn up. Who knows when that will be.
And I still need to do something with the rear shock. This one is a budget breaker.

I could still fit the YZF 17x5 rear wheel that I have, but that will require machine work that i am not prepared to do myself.

Budget wise I am currently on track to have the bike on the road for less than $2500 which includes the original purchase price of the bike. This will give me a bike that has had a bare frame rebuild and that I know has all of the appropriate safety and farkle upgrades.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

Millietant

Mark,

If the wheel you're fitting is from the YZF 600 R Thundercat, there's virtually no machining to do. The caliper mount can be modified by hand if you take it nice and easy and if you measure the FJ spacer from the brake side I think it's the right size to fit on the YZF wheel on the sprocket side (so you don't have to get the original machined down).

That makes the whole swap really simple.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Urban_Legend

Here are some videos/pictures of the bike updates and a gear selection issue solved and quick clutch removal tutorial.

https://youtu.be/BbIreHGNlsA

https://youtu.be/yLgAw5xOXC4

Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

ribbert

Quote from: Urban_Legend on November 23, 2020, 05:42:52 AM
Here are some videos/pictures of the bike updates and a gear selection issue solved and quick clutch removal tutorial.

https://youtu.be/BbIreHGNlsA

https://youtu.be/yLgAw5xOXC4

Great stuff Mark, it does indeed look and sound like a motorbike. Full marks for keeping at it, these sort of projects often get pushed to the back of the que or progress spasmodically, particularly if you've got something else to ride. ( I did have a problem with 2 soundtracks slightly apart on the second vid but it didn't spoil it)

I'll miss our roadside chats while we trouble shoot electrical gremlins on rally rides. :biggrin:

Man, you're going to love that smooooth. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh, it's looking great.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Urban_Legend

Hi all.

I haven't posted anything on this project for a while, but it is progressing. The bike is now nearly all done. I rebuilt the forks last weekend and have ordered some new Avon Spirit ST tyres for it. I also put in a order with RPM for some miscellaneous parts.

The bike will be booked in for inspection (blue slip in NSW Australia) and registered in the next 2 weeks. (tags for USA people)
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor

FJ1200W

Quote from: Urban_Legend on February 28, 2021, 07:22:32 PM
Hi all.

I haven't posted anything on this project for a while, but it is progressing. The bike is now nearly all done. I rebuilt the forks last weekend and have ordered some new Avon Spirit ST tyres for it. I also put in a order with RPM for some miscellaneous parts.

The bike will be booked in for inspection (blue slip in NSW Australia) and registered in the next 2 weeks. (tags for USA people)

I'm in the same boat as you, trying to "get back in gear".

I've got to do my forks as well - gotta get the garage organized 1st.

Then so much more, but anyway:

Avon Spirit ST's - I like them, had good luck with them,  I think you'll be pleased with them.

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

Sparky84

Quote from: ribbert on November 23, 2020, 07:12:04 AM

I'll miss our roadside chats while we trouble shoot electrical gremlins on rally rides. :biggrin:

Noel
I'm sure You'll still be having those chats, Noel  :biggrin:

Hi all.

Looking sharp there Mark, did it come in under budget?
I can only comment on the rear (still have 16's all the way round) for the Avons, very nice feel on the rear, can only wait until they are half used and then hopefully they'll still be good.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

Urban_Legend

Quote from: Sparky84 on March 02, 2021, 10:23:27 PM
Quote from: ribbert on November 23, 2020, 07:12:04 AM

Noel
I'm sure You'll still be having those chats, Noel  :biggrin:

I foresee that there will still opportunity for this in our future Noel.  :rofl:

Hi all.

Looking sharp there Mark, did it come in under budget?
I can only comment on the rear (still have 16's all the way round) for the Avons, very nice feel on the rear, can only wait until they are half used and then hopefully they'll still be good.

Yes the bike is around about on budget...no exact figures, but including the purchase of the bike ($800) the project is at about $2500. If/when I purchase a YSS rear shock, it will be at $3k.
I have heard nothing but good reports about the AVON Spirit tyres, so here's hoping. Eventually there will be a 17" rear on the bike, but don't have all of the bits for it yet, then i will go with the Bridgstone tyres that I have on Sparkles. Battlax S21 front and Battlax T31 rear.

The bike is booked in for its Blue slip inspection on Monday morning. Everything works as it should, so I don't see there being and issues from the mechanic.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor