News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Special Delivery

Started by PaulG, September 02, 2019, 04:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulG

Toronto to San Diego on a KLR650.  4,643km or thereabouts in 10 or so days.  Leaving Sept 25th and returning by air on Oct 6th.  I mentioned in a previous unrelated post several weeks ago that this might come to fruition.  Well after several back-and-forths with the wife... 1st-"well, it sounds ok'   :good2:  to 2nd-"I don't want you to go because you didn't discuss it with me"  :scratch_one-s_head:  to 3rd-"OK you go and do whatever you want".   :pardon:  So I guess that's a green light.   :yahoo:

To quickly refresh the background:  My nephew Eric in Vancouver and his friend David in Toronto want to do a Baja Mexico trip.  Eric will be picking up another KLR in Sacramento from a brother-in-law, then riding it down to San Diego  .David only has 12 days off so after seeing it would cost $1000 to ship it, he sent out an email about it and it was suggested (by my brother) to see if anyone would ride it down for him.  Well, before I knew it I volunteered as soon as I saw the email, and had a rough route planned within 30min.  I will be paying my expenses on the way down, and he will pay for my flight back.    After that was when the weeks long "discussions" with the wife started.

I've already had a quick spin on his 2004 KLR650.  He will be ditching the knobbies and putting on a set of  dual purpose Kenda K761 tires.  It will also be further kitted out than what the picture shows, (more photos later once it's fully ready).

After some more finessing my plans are to do it in three legs.  Each leg is three days (or so) with a rest day in between.  I will be doing the cheap motel circuit.

Leg 1 (days 1-3) - Toronto ON to Custer SD

Rest Day (day 4) - Crazy Horse & Mt Rushmore Tour

Leg 2 (days 5-7) Custer SD to Zion Nat. Park Utah

Day 8 Rest Day?  Haven't figured this out yet.  Any suggestions where to stay?

Leg 3 (days 9-??) Zion Nat Park UT to San Diego CA

If there are any travel tips they are more than welcome.  I plan on about 800km/day.  My one concern is Leg 2 from South Dakota to southern Utah.  I will be up in elevation, so I'm wondering if I run the risk of running into snow.  This will be around the beginning of October.

I will be receiving the bike by Sept 10th so I can fit it out with my video cameras, and get some miles under it before I go.  I'll update before I go, after that I probably won't do any 'til after I get back.  Maybe some photos in between.

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Tuned forks

Paul, you will like Zion Natl Park.  Very scenic and that motorcycle is perfect for exploring the park.  Look into Springdale, Utah.  It's just outside the park.  I believe they have accommodations.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

racerrad8

Oh Paul...

Maybe you can stretch it out a week...

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=18611.0

Randy  - RPM
Randy - RPM

aviationfred

Quote from: racerrad8 on September 02, 2019, 09:23:48 PM
Oh Paul...

Maybe you can stretch it out a week...

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=18611.0

Randy  - RPM

I saw the dates of the trip and thought the same thing.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

PaulG

Unfortunately I have to be back at work on Oct 13th.  I initially was going to book the time off then, and was seriously thinking about it, except I wouldn't have a bike to ride.... (ahem... :pardon:)

I tried to convince the wife to fly out, as she has friends in San Francisco and relatives in Fresno. Then we'd fly back together.  But our "discussions" led nowhere. Like digging out a tree stump with a garden trowel. I'll still have some time when I get back to do some fall camping with her.  It'll help break the silent treatment.  :sarcastic:

I thought it best to bump it up a week to get ahead of any inclement weather, as I saw in my research that a lot of the secondary roads through the Sierras are closed after Oct. The initial delivery was to be San Francisco,  but their schedule didn't allot for the additional travel down to San Diego.

Thanks for the Spingdale UT tip. I'll check it out.  The good thing about the time frame is it's off season, so motel rates are cheaper too.

I thought about camping, but having to make/break camp would cut too much into my riding time with the shorter days. Plus I thought bringing all the gear back on the plane would be a PIA.

Oh yeah, David will be selling the KLR when he's done.  It's actually a US spec bike that was imported by the dealer here, so their shouldn't be any issues with California's draconian importation laws.  Him and the wife are planning on a baby and he got the proverbial ultimatum.  :cray:  He is to put it on Craigslist for San Diego.

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

ribbert

Quote from: PaulG on September 02, 2019, 04:32:58 PM

-"OK you go and do whatever you want".   :pardon:  So I guess that's a green light.   :yahoo:

Geeez Paul, did you only get married last week?

Every married man on the planet knows what that means.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

PaulG

Quote from: ribbert on September 03, 2019, 07:20:25 AM

Noel

22yrs Gee... you'd think I'd learned by now... naaahhhh  :blum1:
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Troyskie

1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

Millietant

We stayed in Custer back in 2010, quaint little place with some nice "mom and pop" breakfast places. We thought Mount Rushmore was brilliant, but the scale of Crazy Horse is incredible !!  That whole area around the Black Hills is beautiful, if the weather is kind, with some fantastic geological formations, if you're into that sort of thing. Once you get away from Iowa, the roads are much more interesting.

Although there's a lot of flat straight stuff in Wyoming, it looks like you're headed to some nice curves.

We followed a similar route through Utah when we went through Dutch John and stayed just outside Zion - as Joe says, there are some awesome roads around Zion - and if you get the chance, Bryce Canyon is not too far off-route and is well worth a visit.

I'm sure you'll have a superb time......looking forward to lots of pics and a detailed ride report  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Firehawk068

Paul,
I would say on your route, head straight across Michigan, take the Ferry across Lake Michigan, and ride through Wisconsin-Minnesota-and South Dakota. It will be a more interesting ride than the slog across Illinois-Iowa-Nebraska.............

I would also tell you to route through Colorado, but there's a chance the high-passes will be getting snow at the end of September (you never can tell. There are years I ride the high-passes into November).
Lots of interesting stuff to see here, and you'd potentially have a place to overnight in the Denver area.  :hi:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Charlie-brm

Quote from: ribbert on September 03, 2019, 07:20:25 AM
Quote from: PaulG on September 02, 2019, 04:32:58 PM

-"OK you go and do whatever you want".   :pardon:  So I guess that's a green light.   :yahoo:

Noel

Exactly. Paul, you've laid out everything required for this adventure in meticulous detail except, where are you going to be living when you get back to Canada?
I think in October life on the streets of San Diego will be warmer than in Scarborough. Just sayin'
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

PaulG

Quote from: Charlie-brm on September 04, 2019, 07:30:59 PM
Exactly. Paul, you've laid out everything required for this adventure in meticulous detail except, where are you going to be living when you get back to Canada?
I think in October life on the streets of San Diego will be warmer than in Scarborough. Just sayin'

Well I still have a mortgage to pay and a job to pay for it.... otherwise...  :scratch_one-s_head:

Quote from: Firehawk068 on September 04, 2019, 08:16:29 AM
Paul,
I would say on your route, head straight across Michigan, take the Ferry across Lake Michigan, and ride through Wisconsin-Minnesota-and South Dakota. It will be a more interesting ride than the slog across Illinois-Iowa-Nebraska.............

I would also tell you to route through Colorado, but there's a chance the high-passes will be getting snow at the end of September (you never can tell. There are years I ride the high-passes into November).
Lots of interesting stuff to see here, and you'd potentially have a place to overnight in the Denver area.  :hi:

I thought about that route, but it was a trade-off.  It may add an extra day, which I would like to keep in reserve when I get further SW, plus in case I have to detour because of bad weather.  Colorado was also an option, but also thought it may be iffy for the weather.  I'll keep the invite for a rain-check, next time I'm in the doghouse.   :sarcastic:

Quote from: Millietant on September 04, 2019, 03:01:42 AM
We followed a similar route through Utah when we went through Dutch John and stayed just outside Zion - as Joe says, there are some awesome roads around Zion - and if you get the chance, Bryce Canyon is not too far off-route and is well worth a visit.

I'm sure you'll have a superb time......looking forward to lots of pics and a detailed ride report  :good2:

Thanks for the tips.  I'll see if I can compose a day loop incorporating the Bryce Canyon area also if I take a rest day near Zion NP.

1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

PaulG

The KLR has been posted on Craigslist for San Diego, if you know anyone that may be interested.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/d/san-diego-2004-kawasaki-klr650-lots-of/6975117992.html

David has been busy prepping for it for the trip and I will get it dropped off later today.  I can now start my prepping with camera mounts, luggage space requirements etc.  I think it will be 6 prs of underwear, 3 t-shirts, socks.  (plus a decent shirt for the plane ride back). The rest will be riding gear to change in and out of through the different climate regions.

I should be able to get a few hrs on it to work out the ergos, and packing, and get used to the riding style.  It's a heavy bike for it's class, but compared to the FJ it's like a mini-bike.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

PaulG

Ok time for a "very brief" update.  Pics and videos and more detail will follow after I get back.

Day1 :  I left Toronto Tues 24 Sept 6:15am. Later than I wanted as I caught the first tsunami rush hour wave.  Despite that beginning, and endless construction along the route I made good time and got to Michigan City Illinois - about an hr east of Chicago - by evening.

Day2 : More slab straight across to Atlantic Iowa about an hr east of Omaha Nebraska.  Uneventful aside from an encounter with a young lady at a gas stop.  She was on a fully kitted DR650 also going to San Diego - also to do a Baja trip - solo.  More on that later.

Day3 : Target Hot Springs or Custer South Dakota. An extra long haul but doable.  The plan was to cover mileage for the first 3 days.  So far my days began at 5am to be on the road asap, usu just at sunrise.  Everything fine as I got off the interstate and took US50/275/20 west. Then the EXTREME south crosswinds came (from my left). After fighting them for an hour I pulled in to Bassett SD, to check my underwear. I found out it was like this all the way to the Black Hills 3hrs away.  After regrouping I tried another attempt, but pulled in 10 min later in Ainsworth SD and checked in to a motel. It was only 2pm.  Riding a billboard in a hurricane and the near death experiences was enough for the day.

Day4: Wind gone but chilly. Relaxing ride up to Wounded Knee. Sadly disappointed considering it's historical significance. Temps dropping and rain begins. Get to Hot Springs and call it a day. Again only 2pm. This was to be a rest day to include a little tour of Rushmore/Crazy Horse memorials and the twisties.  It was now pissing rain and cold.  I demured since unfamilar roads with bias ply adv tires in slippery conditions wasn't a good mix.  Spent the aft researching my route with foreccasts.

Day5 :  Woke up to 45F and still pissing outside, clouds skimming the hilltops, and windy as fuck. I had to cancel any Black Hills tour.  Waited til after 10am to leave as I was travelling opposite to the direction of the system.  I was through the rain in 45min, but the winds were once again horrendous. I barely made it to Lusk Wyoming.  Here I find out from locals "It's always windy in Wyoming..." Gee no shit.  There seemed to be a lot of others on bikes who were in the same boat as we all converged at the gas station. This time the winds were mostly from the east, so I stuck with my route and continued west to Caspar WY.  Right one as I mostly got a tailwind. It was now SW to Rawlins WY.  I had to bypass another jewel on my trip.  It was the Seminoe Rd. A scenic bypass dirt road/trail. With the delays from the last 2 days, and the rains I wasn't sure of the road condition, and resisted the urge to explore. The US220/287 rte to Rawlins though was very nice. The winds were no longer an issue,  but due to the late start I rode past sunset for about 1/2hr. Something I said I would try to avoid. About 10 min out of Rawlins another vicious crosswind comes out of nowhere from my right. FFS man!!! Trying to push me into the oncoming lane.  Not now!!!  Well I made it to a Motel 7 with original 1974 decor. What a treat.

Day6 :  Woke up 6am as I was sore as hell from fighting the winds the last 2 days. Oh great its windy again. I've got about 2hrs west to Rock Hills WY then I start heading SSW into Utah. I get out on the interstate and the sign says "High Wind Warning +60mph Gusts 9am-7pm"  JFC!!!  Nooooooo....!!! It's 8am. I just might make it to Rock Springs but after that I don't know.  Well I did make it, barely, as a cold front also came through with rain. So now down US191 to Vernal Utah. This just skirted the eastern edge of the wind warning. But not enough. The first while was ok and I thought I was out of it, then it became terrifying. I'm not kidding. WTF am I  doing? Most of the way to Dutch John UT was scary.  Leaning the bike right while turning left at the crest of a pass was just something my brain wasn't wired to do. From Dutch John to Vernal to Price UT it turned into magic. Absolutely gorgeous and out of the wind finally. The ride down to Vernal was 9mi of switchbacks. I was still paranoid of the wind at first, but managed to finally sit back and relax and enjoy.

Day7:  I've more than made up time. I realized its only max 900mi or 1700km to San Diego over the next 6 days. So time to really enjoy the rest of the ride. Late start today to maybe Bryce UT. Unseaonably cold due to that effing Arctic cold front thats causing all the problems in the NW.

I've ridden through snow, monsoon like rains, lightning, hail, and plagues of frogs FFS.  I thought I would never encounter something that truly scared me. I've encounteted crosswinds many times. It's a fact of life on a bike. I used to own an 1100GS and it was tall and twitchy in a crosswind.  This KLR is also tall,  but those winds were out of this world.  I hope I never encounter anything like them again. Three days of riding through  that shit is enough to cause someone to doubt their sanity...

Time to start packing. Almost 10am already.  Update soon.
1992 FJ1200 ABS
YouTube Channel Paul G

Tuned forks

A good read Paul.  I feel your pain regarding wind, I hate it!  Ride safe and hope the rest of your trip is more enjoyable.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket