News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Almost.....

Started by ribbert, September 25, 2019, 08:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

1,000,000 km's, 50 years, 30 motorbikes. I like to think every time I leave the driveway I'm doing so with all that experience making me safer. It has served me well to date but today was the first time I have ever locked a front wheel trying to avoid an accident.

It was a "perfect storm" of circumstances that took place in a nano second. There was no lesson to learn, no area in which to be more vigilant, no more caution to be exercised in future, it was just one of those no amount of anything could have avoided it situations. A car doing something so outrageous it exceeded the million to one chance many times over.

However, luck had not entirely abandoned me, the front wheel lock up and swerve immediately snapped the front wheel onto the LH steering stops, I let off the brakes and the bike stood up again. What are the chances of that!!!! I instinctively put my left leg out as I was sure I was on my way down, my leg was locked and it jarred everything right up to my lower back as my boot gripped the road surface, the foot peg also hit me hard in the back of the leg hurting my ankle.

I have many times over the years mentioned that my front mudguard remains in perfect condition without the benefit of a fork brace, well, today's episode has produced spider cracks around the mounts. That momentry sideways lock up surely produced some significant torsional forces on the forks.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ZOA NOM

Glad you stayed upright, and relatively unscathed. We've all been there. It was probably that experience that prevented the full monty.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

T Legg

Many years ago when I was in my early twenties I was on my cb750 about to pull out onto a road at the base of an overpass.I started pulling out as I waited for a car I assumed was heading straight up and over the bridge.instead the car slowed and  made a right turn just before the bridge.After the car turned I continued pulling out and zipped out at the same time two young girls were coming over the bridge in their dads porsche.I made it to the road and was in front of them doing about thirty mph but they came over the bridge going much faster and hit me from behind the rear of my bike was pushed hard to the left and was about to go down but my dirt bike instincts kicked in and I shot my left foot down to the road and popped the bike upright and road it to the side of the road.I apologized to the girls for pulling in front of them and spent the rest of the summer in a cast waiting for the tendons in my right ankle to heal.I still have that 750 thirty seven years later and I have kept my bent rear fender untouched as reminder to look before I leap.
T Legg