Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

I've been doing some mods!

Started by 1tinindian, April 25, 2010, 11:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1tinindian

Been doing some detail work on the FJ.

Added the Vista Cruise

Blacked out the lower edge of the wind screen.

Installed Honda CBR mirrors

Polished the forks

Repainted the replacement rear piece and front fender, and right side scoop.

Polished the left and right egine side cases

ANd I still need to paint the new fiberglass lower belly scoop.
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

fj1289

Nice work!  Good job on the polishing work.  I like the look of polished aluminum -- much better than chrome in my opinion.

Super clean FJ's like yours always impress me.  Looks like a clean Radian in the background too - all aircooled Yami's are cool!

Pat Conlon

Great minds think alike, I did all those exact mods on my '92 (plus more)
The oem Yamaha wind screen had a black painted area at the lower front section, but when you go with the aftermarket screen, I have a tinted Lockhart Speedscreen, you can see the silver base under the tint. Some flat black paint and the problem's solved.

You will love those CBR mirrors. I hope you got the oem Honda mirrors and not the POS Emgo mirrors, yea, the Honda's are much more expensive, but they are much better mirrors. More stable.

Your polishing looks first rate, very good job.

Wouldn't some R-1 calipers look bitchen on those polished fork legs? (yes, it never ends...)

Again, nice work, feels good huh?   Cheers
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

1tinindian

Quote from: Pat Conlon on April 26, 2010, 11:14:41 AM
Great minds think alike, I did all those exact mods on my '92 (plus more)
The oem Yamaha wind screen had a black painted area at the lower front section, but when you go with the aftermarket screen, I have a tinted Lockhart Speedscreen, you can see the silver base under the tint. Some flat black paint and the problem's solved.

You will love those CBR mirrors. I hope you got the oem Honda mirrors and not the POS Emgo mirrors, yea, the Honda's are much more expensive, but they are much better mirrors. More stable.

Your polishing looks first rate, very good job.

Wouldn't some R-1 calipers look bitchen on those polished fork legs? (yes, it never ends...)

Again, nice work, feels good huh?   Cheers

Thanks guys, and about the mirrors, I'm a little more than pissed, as the seller advertised them as glass mirrors, and them are obviously plastic with a wicked double vision in the left mirror, kinda like a funhouse mirror!
It wouldn't suck so much if I  had known they were going to be plastic, but what do you do, I got what I paid for I guess.
I'm real happy with how the wholoe bike is coming together.
My buddies keep telling me I should be out riding it and leave all these details for winter, but I just can't leave it as I bought it, I have to make it my own, if you know what I mean.
Soon enough will be good enough for me, when shes all back together !

Leon
91 FJ1200

jvb_ca

Great job on the forks... :good2:.. I am about to tackle mine as well. Its time to replace fork seals, so while it is apart its going to see the buffer. Question...what did you use to get the lacquer or clear finish off? Sand or stripper? I have heard guys here use airplane stripper or something like that, but have no idea what it is?

Cheer...Jake
Cheers...Jake
86FJ1200
Ontario

1tinindian

Quote from: jvb_ca on April 26, 2010, 01:32:18 PM
Great job on the forks... :good2:.. I am about to tackle mine as well. Its time to replace fork seals, so while it is apart its going to see the buffer. Question...what did you use to get the lacquer or clear finish off? Sand or stripper? I have heard guys here use airplane stripper or something like that, but have no idea what it is?

Cheer...Jake

My forks were painted a medium gray color, but my Suzuki had clear on them, so I know what you're talking about.
I brushed on paint stripper, ie:aircraft stripper, and it lifted right off, washed it clean with lacquer thinner, and then I had to sand them smooth, starting with 320, then to 600, before polishing them.
My castings had alot of machine marks in the finish, they HAD to be sanded.
I left my forks on the bike, only removing the wheel and fender.

Thanks,
Leon
91 FJ1200