News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Dear god how to get airbox on

Started by Stevelmk, September 10, 2019, 02:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevelmk

Hey lads I have up to date tried for 12- 15 hrs to get airbox back into my fj11 I have the Chinese pattern pods in at moment don't like them and can't afford the tuning and dtnky costs over here .

I have dropped subframe got carbs in loose and the airbox just won't go in if one end goes on the other side pops off. Tried again two days ago and tried for a solid 5 hours to no avail I had all the little arrows on side of box in middle

Dieselman7.3

Have you tried spraying pb blaster or oil of some kind to lube them up?
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

Troyskie

G'day Steve,

I believe it is the sequence of installation that might be giving you grief.

Step one remove the two top subframe bolts. Make sure you have a block of wood, wadded rags, etc. to support the subframe at the height you want (the subframe can sag onto the rear wheel and scratch the subframe lower front mounting point tubes against the footpeg bracket).

Step two, loosen, but don't remove the two bottom subframe bolts (the ones that go through the footpeg bracket).

Step three, (carbies floating free with cables attached) push the carbies into the airbox, check seating, and tighten the ring thingy screws to hold them together nicely. You'll have plenty of play to get it right. NOTE, as you've spent hours on this already, try removing the subframe enough to completely remove the airbox and 'bench fit' the carbies to the airbox. You'll find they need to seat at the bottom first. Do it a few times to get a 'feel' for how they want to fit on. Also, use rubber grease, not too much, but use some on both the airbox and the inlet manifolds. Also, regarding the little arrows, they have a corresponding mark to line them up with on the airbox.

Step four, set the height of the subframe so you get a good angle to push the carbie/airbox set back into the inlet manifolds (remember lower bolts in but loose). Although stiff, it should sort of snap into place. I'm not very strong and I had to lever them on from either side. It will be harder if the manifolds are old and hard. A heat gun on them might help, but I've not used that yet. Don't forget a little rubber grease.

Step five, curse me for giving you instructions that don't work for you, or if it works, don't forget to tighten all the manifold screws.

Step six, beer helps with either celebration or commiseration.
drinks
Troy
1984 FJ1100 Ms Effie brand new :)
1984 FJ1100 Pearlie, stock as.
1985 FJ1100 Mr Effie 647,000K and still running hard.
1985 FJ1200 'Yummy' takes a licking & keeps on ticking
After all is said and done, more is said than done :)
2013 Trumpy Tiger 800, let's do a lap of Oz

oldktmdude

Skip everything Troy said and throw it in the nearest bin and fit Unipods!  :good2:

1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Sparky84

Quote from: oldktmdude on September 10, 2019, 07:19:55 PM
   Skip everything Troy said and throw it in the nearest bin and fit Unipods!  :good2:

Everything!  :shok:
Even "Step Six"!  :diablo:

R U OK Pete?
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

roverfj1200

Quote from: Sparky84 on September 10, 2019, 08:27:44 PM
Quote from: oldktmdude on September 10, 2019, 07:19:55 PM

Everything!  :shok:
Even "Step Six"!  :diablo:

R U OK Pete?

:Facepalm: :Facepalm: :Facepalm:
1988 FJ1200
1991 FJ1200

Richard.

oldktmdude

Sorry, I should have said, PROCEED DIRECTLY TO STEP 6.  :drinks:
Old age, you gotta love it!
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Stevelmk

Quote from: Troyskie on September 10, 2019, 04:54:27 PM
G'day Steve,

I believe it is the sequence of installation that might be giving you grief.

Step one remove the two top subframe bolts. Make sure you have a block of wood, wadded rags, etc. to support the subframe at the height you want (the subframe can sag onto the rear wheel and scratch the subframe lower front mounting point tubes against the footpeg bracket).

Step two, loosen, but don't remove the two bottom subframe bolts (the ones that go through the footpeg bracket).

Step three, (carbies floating free with cables attached) push the carbies into the airbox, check seating, and tighten the ring thingy screws to hold them together nicely. You'll have plenty of play to get it right. NOTE, as you've spent hours on this already, try removing the subframe enough to completely remove the airbox and 'bench fit' the carbies to the airbox. You'll find they need to seat at the bottom first. Do it a few times to get a 'feel' for how they want to fit on. Also, use rubber grease, not too much, but use some on both the airbox and the inlet manifolds. Also, regarding the little arrows, they have a corresponding mark to line them up with on the airbox.

Step four, set the height of the subframe so you get a good angle to push the carbie/airbox set back into the inlet manifolds (remember lower bolts in but loose). Although stiff, it should sort of snap into place. I'm not very strong and I had to lever them on from either side. It will be harder if the manifolds are old and hard. A heat gun on them might help, but I've not used that yet. Don't forget a little rubber grease.

Step five, curse me for giving you instructions that don't work for you, or if it works, don't forget to tighten all the manifold screws.

Step six, beer helps with either celebration or commiseration.
drinks
Troy

Hey Troy quiet detailed thank you I will follow steps and give it a go over the weekend and hopefully get it all together

Troyskie

Quote from: oldktmdude on September 11, 2019, 05:41:01 AM
   Sorry, I should have said, PROCEED DIRECTLY TO STEP 6.  :drinks:
Old age, you gotta love it!

He he he, I'm at step 6 now.... :drinks:

Pat Conlon

Put the beer away laddies, you're not done....

How about connecting the crankcase vent hose to the bottom of the air box?  That's a pisser....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Troyskie

Quote from: Pat Conlon on September 13, 2019, 11:17:55 AM
Put the beer away laddies, you're not done....

How about connecting the crankcase vent hose to the bottom of the air box?  That's a pisser....

Good point Pat! That would be step 6.

I'll get to the new step 7 later  :sarcastic: