News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hi! New member from London.

Started by konradsc, September 19, 2019, 03:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanschoebel

Now, this is something that is going to sound a little hypocritical. Is the FJ a good first bike for someone? NO. Was it my first motorcycle, and basically what I learned to ride on? YES.

All young guys are generally thrown in a blanket of immaturity and stupidity (for good reason!). It is entirely possible to learn on an FJ, and do fine. It took me 2 years to drop the bike, and even then was because of heavy rains. If the proper lessons are given, and Konrad keeps in mind just what this bike is all capable of, he will do fine.

As for the learning requirements in the US, they are dumb. Here in AZ, all you need to do is have a motorcycle endorsement is take a written road test, and show that you can quick stop, u turn, and weave cones. Boom, you have a motorcycle licence. I personally took a private course, given by folks who have been riding all their lives. Having never even sat on a motorcycle before, I was given a 250cc Honda CBR, and taught how to navigate the bike around a closed course, nice and slow. We never passed more than 18 mph,  and while what I learned in that class was invaluable, it did not prepare me to go home and hop right onto the FJ1100. It took me two weeks(!!) to stop stalling the FJ consistently, because the bike had so much more power to give, and the clutch was so much less forgiving. But I did it, and I have racked up thousands upon thousands of miles on 2 different Fj's. These bikes are amazing, as long as new riders have a little common sense. Light throttle touch, easy shifts, and proper maintenance (and upgrades as you can), make these bikes just fine.

TLDR, to me, its much more about the rider, and their own sense of caution and self that dictates whether or not you can ride an FJ from the start.
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

FJmonkey

Welcome Konrad, looks like you got a wide variety of opinions based on experience. The FJ as a first bike can be done, has been done. Take it easy and give all bikes the respect required to avoid injury. I rode in the dirt a little when I was a kid. Then my first street bike was a 400 twin air cooled. Then a 700, then a 600, then the FJ.

The FJ is easy to work on and maintain if you like mechanic work. That part of the FJ is really good for ownership. And you get an awesome support group with members all over the world. So if the FJ is not your first bike, you can get one when you are ready. We will be happy to have you join our digital campfire.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

ribbert

Quote from: ryanschoebel on September 20, 2019, 11:28:06 AM

.....All young guys are generally thrown in a blanket of immaturity and stupidity.....

There's a reason for that Ryan, those of us that survived it and are still around to comment on it were once young guys ourselves, we speak with authority.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Bones

Quote from: ribbert on September 21, 2019, 03:46:47 AM

.....All young guys are generally thrown in a blanket of immaturity and stupidity.....

There's a reason for that Ryan, those of us that survived it and are still around to comment on it were once young guys ourselves, we speak with authority.

Noel

Yep, I'm in my sixty's now and sometimes wonder how I made it this far after some of the stupid things I did when younger. A couple of friends I grew up with weren't so lucky.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

ribbert

Quote from: Bones on September 21, 2019, 05:29:31 AM

Noel

Yep, I'm in my sixty's now and sometimes wonder how I made it this far after some of the stupid things I did when younger

.....and so say all of us!

Ha, I'm not only wondering how I survived my youth but how I survived my 50's. After my last few rides I'm even wondering how I'm surviving my 60's. I am forever grateful that I'm not constrained by my calender years and that in some respects I have never fully matured.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

oldktmdude

It is entirely possible to learn on an FJ, and do fine. It took me 2 years to drop the bike, and even then was because of heavy rains. If the proper lessons are given, and Konrad keeps in mind just what this bike is all capable of, he will do fine. 
If I remember correctly your post on this fall, it was not the rain that made you fall, it was your in-experience in wet conditions that caused it.
It's amazing how many riders blame other things for their accidents and not themselves.
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

ryanschoebel

Quote from: oldktmdude on September 21, 2019, 08:19:45 AM
 If I remember correctly your post on this fall, it was not the rain that made you fall, it was your in-experience in wet conditions that caused it.
It's amazing how many riders blame other things for their accidents and not themselves.

If you read my post about the drop, you would recall that I didn't blame the wet conditions. I know, and admit that it was my own fault for the crash. Thats also why I go on to say "if the proper lessons are given". I know that it was on me, I have never said that it wasnt. I am saying that it was a contributing factor.
1985 FJ1100-- Atlas (SOLD)
1984 FJ1100-- Storm

Pat Conlon

I think that our young Ryan is the exception to the rule.
From what I've seen, his instincts are advanced for his age.
We can teach fundamentals, time and practice will give you experience, but you you can't teach instinct.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Bones

Quote from: ribbert on September 21, 2019, 06:41:46 AM
Quote from: Bones on September 21, 2019, 05:29:31 AM

Noel

Yep, I'm in my sixty's now and sometimes wonder how I made it this far after some of the stupid things I did when younger

I am forever grateful that I'm not constrained by my calender years and that in some respects I have never fully matured.

Noel

There's a saying I've heard Noel that states : WE MAY GROW OLD BUT WE NEVER GROW UP : I think that applies to most of us.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

krusty

91 FJ1200
84 FJ1100 x 2
85 FJ1100
89 GL1500
76 CB750F1
72 CB350F
63 C92 x 2
59 C76
62 C100
63 C100
60 Colleda 250TA x 3
63 Suzuki MD50
77 DT125E
77 DT175E x 2
79 DT250F

ZOA NOM

Konrad probably logged back in, checked the thread, and logged out for good.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Flynt

Quote from: oldktmdude on September 21, 2019, 08:19:45 AM
It is entirely possible to learn on an FJ, and do fine. It took me 2 years to drop the bike, and even then was because of heavy rains. If the proper lessons are given, and Konrad keeps in mind just what this bike is all capable of, he will do fine.  

Ryan - this assessment is pretty harsh IMHO.  I had hundreds of hours on dirt bikes as a kid (great experience for sliding) and I've laid down a couple times when water mixed with oil and coolant on the road to make the only thing more slippery than fresh goose shit (about 100X a banana peel).  The only experience that's kept me for repeating is just not to go there...  I mostly get off the road when the rain starts if possible and wait for the crap to partially wash off and/or I take the "rain line" through such corners and make sure I'm moving dead straight and smooth if I do need to pass through the oily mess.  This is experience gained best by doing...  congratulations on Gettin 'Er Done! :good2:

OK...  Back to scaring off Konrad...

Frank
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Flynt

Quote from: ZOA NOM on September 20, 2019, 10:00:51 AM
So long Konrad, I'm pretty sure that'll keep you out of here for good. Too bad, really, I was happy to see a new face from the Mother Country. Try the FJ club over there I suppose.

How about a modern FJ?  Plentiful and pretty cheap used they're much more accommodating of a newer rider with excellent brakes/abs/traction control/etc from the factory. 

Old OEM FJs are a handful for very experienced riders and you get the added reliability issues associated with age.  However...

If it is what YOU want to learn on...  DO IT! :bye2:

Frank

Bill_Rockoff

A modern FJ? Like, an FJ-09?  

Do we agree than an FJ1100 is too heavy, tall, and powerful for a beginner bike? Or do you think an FJ1100 would be fine for a beginner bike except that now it's too old? Because your suggestion is a bike that is even taller and more powerful, and those are still pretty heavy at close to 500 lbs. (Plus, they are 3 times the money of an FJ1100.)  

An FJ-09 is nearly 500 lbs, and the seat height is 33." The best thing about one of these bikes for teaching someone to ride a motorcycle is that you can start off by teaching them how to pick up a motorcycle that has fallen on the ground. Lessons involving "what to do with slightly more power than an FJ1100" would come later.  

Konrad didn't give us a lot to go on, as far as how much riding experience he has. He only asked "It is gonna be good for beginner?" Which begs the question, "What is beginner?" Someone who has ridden streetbikes but is new to large motorcycles? Someone who has ridden dirtbikes but would be new to streetbikes? A scooter rider used to riding in the city but who would be new to shifting? Someone who has never done any of these things?

Konrad, maybe you'll speak up and let us know a little more? What kind of "beginner" are you? What kind of bikes interest you? What about an FJ1100 made you interested enough to come here and say "hello" and ask us about them?

Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

Flynt

...  I was just suggesting we not start off by chasing Konrad away from FJs...  Maybe FJ-07 is more appropriate, but in any case "you're crazy" seems to have chases a potential new owner/member away.  

Frank