News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Thoughts on Nickel or Zinc Plating Emulsion Tubes

Started by Miker, October 08, 2019, 01:48:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miker

I'm sure most of you have heard of Factory Pro and their nickel plated emulsion tubes.  Has anyone tried plating their own tubes in either nickel or zinc? Which would be a better material to use to plate the tubes?  Would plating affect the operation of the tubes? 
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R

FJmonkey

I am not sure how tight the tolerances are for the tubes but plating will add some material. So holes will get smaller, the outside bigger. The amount added is very small but should be considered. When I specify a coating or plating for a part I compensate for the dimension change by making the part that much smaller if the mating fit needs to tight.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Miker

Quote from: FJmonkey on October 08, 2019, 09:52:24 AM
I am not sure how tight the tolerances are for the tubes but plating will add some material. So holes will get smaller, the outside bigger. The amount added is very small but should be considered. When I specify a coating or plating for a part I compensate for the dimension change by making the part that much smaller if the mating fit needs to tight.

Thanks.  Yea I wonder how the operation would be affected with smaller holes.  I definitely wouldn't try and calculate the amount of material to be added and then drill out those holes accordingly. 
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R