1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJ12IRL

I just used the rear wheel and sprocket carrier from a Thundercat 600..
So easy to do at home with a grinder and hand tools.

Millietant

Quote from: FJ12IRL on October 19, 2019, 08:32:50 AM
I just used the rear wheel and sprocket carrier from a Thundercat 600..
So easy to do at home with a grinder and hand tools.

I was also surprised when people were saying here that the GSXR wheel swap was the simplest !!!!!!

But, with the Thundercat we do only get the 5" rear wheel, rather than the 5.5" and that can be an issue for some people.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Pat Conlon

Just do the complete Thunder Ace rear end swap, swinger and all....
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

copper

Quote from: MACHV on October 12, 2019, 12:02:33 PM
It's gotta be a fluke.

Otherwise, why wouldn't either the original aluminum swingarm mount bracket or a new welded one not crack before shearing a steel bolt? Seems a little counter-intuitive, at least, when looking at the meat of the old mount point.

Maybe your right, it is a fluke.

Quote from: MACHV on October 16, 2019, 09:25:23 AM
BS. Suzuki didn't deem it necessary to mount to the swingarm, so now that I see this, I feel better about my solution.

If it was good enough for Suzuki, hell it should be good enough for everyone. Just run it, whats the worst that can happen? Maybe you could die (thats bad :negative:)

ribbert

Quote from: Millietant on October 19, 2019, 03:09:10 PM

.....I was also surprised when people were saying here that the GSXR wheel swap was the simplest !!!!!!

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

fj-f3a

I still feel my "Z" shape, Off Set Torque Arm idea will work and be simple to manufacture and implement.
Something like this.

You will need to fabricate and weld some U shaped brackets to the ends of the torque arm for fixing to the existing mounting on top of the swing arm and the caliper.
Use a quality carbon steel for the arm and brackets, not stainless steel.
The gussets will add strength.

Gavin
Wings Level

Current
1990 FJ1200, Wet Pale Brown
J17xMT5.5 rear wheel from a 2001 Kawasaki Zx9r
Stainless exhausts
Electronic cruise control
Custom seat
Yamaha R6 Blue Spot Callipers
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

Millietant

Quote from: Pat Conlon on October 19, 2019, 05:31:51 PM
Just do the complete Thunder Ace rear end swap, swinger and all....

Oh yes, defo the ultimate option !!!! (But still not the "simplest" :-) :-))
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

woodcreekpete

OR:
  Take your original caliper bracket and cut it where the line is in the picture. Finished length should be 20mm shorter than original. Bevel out the areas that'll get welded. Clamp it or bolt it to a stiff piece of steel to keep the inner machined faces parallel. This ensures that the caliper will align properly with the rotor. Get someone qualified to weld the shit out of it. Make a new torque arm out of 1/4" steel or aluminum. Might need a bit of offset to line up properly.
That's it - simple, uses original caliper and hose. Cheap - cost me $25 Cdn. I've done 4 or 5 this way with no problems.

ZOA NOM

What's so hard about a couple spacers? I used washers. The GSXR requires no machining, welding, or fabrication of any kind. Just use the GSXR torque arm and attach it to a new bolt at the backside of the foot peg. Ride, repeat.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

MACHV

Bracket installed. Bolt stress distributed.

Using the scrap on hand, I first made a cardboard model from the box my chain came in, to establish shape and clearance. Went from there. Had a strengthening wall welded (for free) where I wanted. Now the bolt has two sheer planes because it spans a bridge instead of having only one attach point. I refused to take the ass end apart right after putting it all back together and cleaning everything. Plus I was not interested in drilling or welding on the swingarm.
"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

MACHV

"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

Tuned forks

Looks very sturdy.  Someone mentioned once that having the bolt in double shear really increases the strength of the connection.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

MACHV

Quote from: Tuned forks on October 24, 2019, 07:24:39 PM
Looks very sturdy.  Someone mentioned once that having the bolt in double shear really increases the strength of the connection.

Joe

Well it made sense, then I studied and confirmed. The former method basically gave the torque arm a whole inch of leverage from where the bolt comes through the frame. Maybe not all the bolts on all the bikes are breaking but, I wasn't going to risk it. Never would have guessed that the above avg bolt might not be enough so...

Thanks to everyone for the input!