News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Small slice cuts deep

Started by T Legg, October 15, 2019, 01:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyoutandabout

Remember having to fight to get a bike shop to patch a tire. He did it, didn't recommend it, wouldn't give me a receipt and said it was all on me if it went boom.
Only considered the patch as the tire was nearly new; less than 500 miles.
Anyway rode really careful for a bit and then, as you might expect, forgot all about it and enjoyed the summer.
Had no problems the entire life of the tire.
So it is possible to get a solid repair with today's wonderful tire technologies.
Maybe it all comes down to how much you care to rely on your luck.
life without a bike is just life

FJ1200W

Quote from: andyoutandabout on April 26, 2020, 11:48:59 AM

Remember having to fight to get a bike shop to patch a tire. He did it, didn't recommend it, wouldn't give me a receipt and said it was all on me if it went boom.
Only considered the patch as the tire was nearly new; less than 500 miles.
Anyway rode really careful for a bit and then, as you might expect, forgot all about it and enjoyed the summer.
Had no problems the entire life of the tire.
So it is possible to get a solid repair with today's wonderful tire technologies.

It reminds me how attorneys have screwed us all.......

Someone had a patch/plug fail, sued, won, and now we all pay.......

Think "grass in the road" tactics
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

fj1289

Quote from: andyoutandabout on April 26, 2020, 11:48:59 AM

... says the guy with the BloodRunners avitar!   :good:

andyoutandabout

Sparky84

:bad:
Quote from: T Legg on October 15, 2019, 01:01:37 AM
On our way home from the RPM rally we planned on stopping by the Alpine air strip to do a high speed stability test of our saddle bags but while we were parked in Angels camp I found this thin slice in my front tire and decided not to.
Similar one here, just thought I'd run over something sharp but it's just an odd way it's cut
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

T Legg

That is very similar to the slice that was on my front tire.all three slices don't involve the edge of the water grooves. The one on my rear tire is inside the lowest surface of the tire but no marks around it. I'm leaning more to these being a defect. How deep does the slice on your tire go? I love how the sport demons handle but with yours included that makes three tires with slices I had one with a sidewall bubble and one that had severe sidewall Dry rot at 1200 miles and only two years from the date of manufacture. Between that and the average three thousand miles until they are completely bald makes these tires expensive. With three fj's with 16" wheels it's a bit depressing.
T Legg

aviationfred

Quote from: T Legg on April 26, 2020, 08:02:43 PM
They average three thousand miles until they are completely bald makes these tires expensive. With three fj's with 16" wheels it's a bit depressing.

Maybe consider going to 17 inch wheels and use modern radials.  :pardon:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

andyoutandabout

What about the Avon 3D storms?
They come in 17 and 16 sizes

T Legg

Your right  Fred .I have  the front forks and stock 17" fj front wheel but I need to do the rear wheel at the same time and I don't like all the problems with the brake caliper mounting.I need to start researching my options.  Andy I need to check again but I don't think Avon makes the rear tire in the right size.
T Legg

giantkiller

I bought my brothers 70 Buick gs stage 1. He had changed the rear end. And the one he put in had higher gearing. Speedo went to 120. But the needle would keep going all the way around too park.  My other brother was a cop. And he clocked it @156mph. I was always worried about the tires on that car too.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

T Legg

When I was eighteen I had a  1970 Pontiac tempest with a ys400 motor. It started out with a little turbo 350 transmission which I blew up twice. then I put a turbo 400 tranny and blew up the rear end so I borrowed my brothers 4:11 positrac rear end with his m-50 rear tires.those tires were so wide that if I took a corner too hard I could watch strips of rubber flying off the tires from the fender wells cutting into them I ended up breaking the posi rear end while burning off my tires.It gave one hop and then cracked the pumpkin housing from the axel tube to the cover plate. I kept the tires and put a ten bolt rear end with 267 gears and put a four speed Muncie transmission in.with those gears you could drop it back into first gear at fifty miles an hour and burn the tires off.the speedometer was no longer accurate but there wasn't a day I didn't do well over one hundred with those gouged out tires. My wife made me park it when our second kid was born along with my street bikes. It is still sitting at my old place where my daughter lives now. The poor thing needs a little paint and upholstery and it's probably time to change those tires.

T Legg

Millietant

Quote from: T Legg on April 26, 2020, 09:03:36 PM
Your right  Fred .I have  the front forks and stock 17" fj front wheel but I need to do the rear wheel at the same time and I don't like all the problems with the brake caliper mounting.I need to start researching my options.  Andy I need to check again but I don't think Avon makes the rear tire in the right size.

Hey Travis, in that case, there are 2 easy options - use the GSXR wheel with the GSXF caliper/mount that allows for a top mounting, or go for the YFZ 600 R (Thundercat) option which keeps the FJ caliper, torque arm and keeps the top mounting.

Two easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy ways to a 17" back wheel and good, modern-sized radial tyres  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Sparky84

Quote from: T Legg on April 26, 2020, 08:02:43 PM
That is very similar to the slice that was on my front tire.all three slices don't involve the edge of the water grooves. The one on my rear tire is inside the lowest surface of the tire but no marks around it. I'm leaning more to these being a defect. How deep does the slice on your tire go? I love how the sport demons handle but with yours included that makes three tires with slices I had one with a sidewall bubble and one that had severe sidewall Dry rot at 1200 miles and only two years from the date of manufacture. Between that and the average three thousand miles until they are completely bald makes these tires expensive. With three fj's with 16" wheels it's a bit depressing.
I haven't checked how deep it goes yet. Didn't want to hack into it while still using it  :biggrin:

Tyre code on wheel is
DOT   XE  KX     E478      4916

not happy with the date as it is dec 2016 manufactured and it was only bought March 2019
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

T Legg

I figured slicing away the flap of rubber didn't really make the tire any worse than it was. I never trusted that tire over a hundred again but I did continue to ride it until I wore the back tire out. Here are pictures of what it looked like when I pulled it off,inside and outside. No signs of the slice from the inside.The code on my tire is DOT XE KX E478 3717. Forty weeks newer than yours. The new split I have on my rear tire is different. It started out at about 3/16" long. In the name of science I decided to ride it to Carson city and back.It wasnt a twisty ride but I took it up to about 115. The split seemed to widen a bit and grew in length to 5/16".It was still only leaking a small bubble every few seconds. I found the hole when I was readjusting the chain tensioners to realign my wheel that was off center. It had caused my chicken strips to be wavy. Once again in the name of science I rode it up and down the twisty road to virginia city three times without stopping ,about fifty miles in all of hard corners and got the tire very hot but never went over 85. When I rechecked the tire (I also checked it several times during the ride)I found no changes to the split. My chicken strips went back to a straight crisp line though. This rear tire split though much smaller than the one on the front seems to be a prelude to disaster . It will be interesting to see what it looks like on the inside. I know it goes all the way through.
T Legg

balky1

I think both of your DOTs say it came from the same factory, but this info ahould be checked. I suggest you both write to Pirelli.

FJ 1100, 1985, sold
FJR 1300, 2009