News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

1985 Fuel pump?

Started by Instigator, October 20, 2019, 12:36:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Instigator

So here's a stupid question.....

Does my 1985 FJ 1200 even have a fuel pump?

I see them listed for 86 and up but not 85.
This is a new to me project and noticed that I never heard an electric fuel pump come on with the ignition.
Just rebuilt the carburetors and barely got it to start.
When I decided to track it down and check it I couldn't find the damn thing.

I frustrated matters by buying the wrong factory manual for the newer yrs also so it shows the elec pump.

Mine feeds from bottom of tank to non OEM fuel lines then to carbs. That's it.
Can it be gravity feed??

Thx for helping a moron

Tuned forks

Owners of the older models will likely chime in but I believe that '85 is a gravity feed model.  Petcock and fuel line sizing is important for those years.  Pat will also warn you to safety wire the fuel petcock.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Flynt

Quote from: Instigator on October 20, 2019, 12:36:12 PM
So here's a stupid question.....

Does my 1985 FJ 1200 even have a fuel pump?

If it is an '85**, it didn't have one from the factory...  you should have a petcock, then a loop of fuel line that wraps around the third carb from left before going to splitter and carbs.  Line size and routing are critical to successful fueling.  Most also remove the flap from their fuel cap to prevent fuel starvation at lower fuel levels in tank.

The safety wire mentioned is mandatory!  Look it up and do it before you use the bike again.

Frank

** No '85 FJ1200...  it would be an FJ1100 or an '86 or later FJ1200.  '89 and later had fuel pumps, so you might be an '86 model mfg in '85...  the answer's the same.
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Millietant

As far as I'm aware, there was no FJ 1200 in 1985. The 1200 was launched in 1986, I got mine as soon as they were available for sale in 1986, as I'd been waiting for the update to the 1100 before I put my money down.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

FJmonkey

In the states the first fuel pump FJ was the 89'. 84' to 87' are gravity feed.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Instigator

Thx guys.

Still figuring out what I bought.
Clearly was abused and neglected in its previous life but always wanted one and I'm gaining on it.

This confirms that I need the correct manual

Instigator

Had my paperwork screwed up.

It is an '87 and glad to see it's not missing a fuel pump.

After sleeping on my running symptoms (popping/missing/occasional backfire), and now w/rebuilt carbs, it dawned on me.
Water in gas.

Dumped gas, refilled w/new and bingo! Runs like a top.

Working on salvaging body work next but here in Ohio it's getting cold and I'm struggling w/not screwing it together and see what it rides like.

We'll see.

Thx again for the help as I come to terms w/my new baby.

BTW, also have a near perfect '85 Honda Nighthawk 700s and just sold a similar condition '84 Suzuki GS 700es.
Cool story on that is that it sold to the AMA which is s 1/2 hr from me.
They are turning it into a Kevin Schwartz tribute bike and auctioning it off to help support their museum.

Their museum is killer too. Was just there.

Tuned forks

Winter is a good time for body repair.  Not so good for painting if it's cold inside.  Nice tedious project though for when it's dreary outside.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket