News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

All Balls rear bearings

Started by balky1, November 03, 2019, 03:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flynt

Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 14, 2019, 11:48:46 AM
Quote from: Flynt on November 14, 2019, 11:44:41 AM
Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 14, 2019, 11:40:54 AM
Quote from: Tuned forks on November 13, 2019, 07:43:32 PM

Frank, would that be the Rickover Regime?  :biggrin:

Joe

Gotta be Zumwalt... Frank's older'n dirt.

FWIW, I can confirm the Navy's "grease the fuck out of it" standard on real ships Targets as well.

Fixed it for ya...

Yeah, I lobbed that up there on purpose.  :good:

On Targets I thought you mainly greased each other...
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

ZOA NOM

Quote from: Flynt on November 14, 2019, 11:52:55 AM

Frank, would that be the Rickover Regime?  :biggrin:

Joe

FWIW, I can confirm the Navy's "grease the fuck out of it" standard on real ships Targets as well.

Fixed it for ya...

Yeah, I lobbed that up there on purpose.  :good:

Well, 100 men go down, 50 couples come up...

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Mike Ramos

Joe

Fixed it for ya...

I shall NEVER again ask an off topic question about grease....

Just the thought is enough to make one seasick...!!!

:Facepalm:

Flynt

Quote from: Mike Ramos on November 14, 2019, 12:17:36 PM

Joe

Fixed it for ya...

I'm sure Ricky will gladly demonstrate his greasing technique next time you bunk together...   :bad:
There's plenty of time for sleep in the grave...

Pat Conlon

.....and we were doing so well.... :dash1:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Tuned forks

Quote from: Pat Conlon on November 14, 2019, 03:45:33 PM
.....and we were doing so well.... :dash1:

Probably because my Father was career Navy, I'm laughing my ass off.  Great entertainment.  Frank, that target comment was just rich.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Mike Ramos

Quote from: Flynt on November 14, 2019, 01:44:55 PM
Quote from: Mike Ramos on November 14, 2019, 12:17:36 PM

Joe

Fixed it for ya...

I'm sure Ricky will gladly demonstrate his greasing technique next time you bunk together...   :bad:

Fellas, 

When the '91 Pink Striper was sold, I had hoped the rumors would finally be laid to rest... 

Without a doubt, this thread should be left to peter out ignominiously...

Oh, well...!

ZOA NOM

Just to get back on topic... I did a google image search for "churning" and this came up... WTF?

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 16, 2019, 11:52:03 AM
Just to get back on topic... I did a google image search for "churning" and this came up... WTF?

What's even funnier Rick, if you do a google image search for Randy Raduechel, along with the trophies, race cars, kids etc that come up on the first page is that same photo of me. It's been there for years.

I never realised he was such a fan!

Just remember Rick, a bit of fun is fine but you have to be nice to me now. :biggrin:

And now, believe it or not, there are folks out there who, while remaining amused by all this banter and references to butter, silly burden of proof demands and so on, are still keen for an actual answer. Below is a screen shot of literally the first page that comes up on a google search on the subject.

As I said last week, read any number or articles from as many credible sources as you like for as long as you like and draw you own conclusions.

Please note, I have not offered any opinion here, my own or one on behalf of the industry, merely a suggestion as to how you might best go about making your own mind up.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

racerrad8

Quote from: ribbert on November 17, 2019, 08:03:51 AM
Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 16, 2019, 11:52:03 AM

I never realised he was such a fan!

I wish I had some control of what Google uses for the photos, but maybe it has something to do with clicks...

I don't think that photo will ever fall off the google machine, it is classic Noel.

Quote from: ribbert on November 17, 2019, 08:03:51 AM
And now, believe it or not, there are folks out there who, while remaining amused by all this banter and references to butter, silly burden of proof demands and so on, are still keen for an actual answer. Below is a screen shot of literally the first page that comes up on a google search on the subject.

As I said last week, read any number or articles from as many credible sources as you like for as long as you like and draw you own conclusions.

Please note, I have not offered any opinion here, my own or one on behalf of the industry, merely a suggestion as to how you might best go about making your own mind up.

Noel

I now understand, we were not actually talking of bearing to bearing comparison. All of the industry material you are referencing has to do with machinery. In fact in the screenshot you provided from Professor Google for which you are offering as "industry" reference has nothing to do with motorcycle wheel bearings.

Did you actually read what you used for "Industry" reference and determine how it relates to motorcycle wheel bearings?

Sure, over-greasing a closed access electric motor bearing, just as the one shown in the photo you presented, will fill the "cavity" and cause churning, resistance & heat.

But in order to fill the cavity of the FJ wheel and have a churning issue, the cavity between the bearing would need to be filled. Since there is not a grease zerk on the wheel bearings to over-grease and fill the cavity to have the churning issue, can you really over-grease a motorcycle wheel bearing?

So, whats the answer since people "are still keen for an actual answer"...?

I was hoping you had something to offer from the motorcycle industry as it relates to motorcycle wheel bearings, but you have chosen to reference the machinery industry that have access to greasing via a grease zerk and can result in churning the expended grease in the closed cavity.

If you go way back in this topic, Fred explains how he packs his bearings full with synthetic grease. He then re-installs the seal and grease is expelled. I don't know for sure, but I bet Fred wipes the expended grease from the outside of the bearing before installing it.

So, Noel is the bearing over-greased?

If so, how did you determine that?
   There will be, minimal to zero grease outside of the bearing. So, the chance of filling the closed cavity of the wheel with excessive grease is not existent. That equals No Churning
If not, I believe we are on the same page in reference to motorcycle wheel bearings and the application of packing grease.

Hopefully in the future, you can offer something from the motorcycle industry and not something you learned from Professor Google that is really not even relevant in a motorcycle wheel bearing.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on November 17, 2019, 03:24:24 PM

......Fred explains how he packs his bearings full with synthetic grease. He then re-installs the seal and grease is expelled. I don't know for sure, but I bet Fred wipes the expended grease from the outside of the bearing before installing it.

There will be, minimal to zero grease outside of the bearing. So, the chance of filling the closed cavity of the wheel with excessive grease is not existent. That equals No Churning

Randy - RPM

Randy, can you not see you are talking about two different things above, grease trapped in the bearing and grease escaping from it?

:dash1: It's got nothing to do with grease expelled from the bearing into the cavity. The churning happens when you fill the bearing 100% full then install the seals, that means as the bearing rotates it must push the grease out of it's path, constantly, there is nowhere else to displace it. An open bearing will just push it to one side, no problem, in fact that's exactly how you pack them.

You do the readership a disservice suggesting they can't figure out that the principles of operation of a roller bearing for the most part don't change with the application and the screen shot was a guide to those principles and an example of just how easy it is to find relevant information with one click.

The reason most reference material on the net is about industry is because that is where they are in the greatest use, where performance is most critical and where enormous cost is involved.

As for last nights screen shot of the google page, for those that thought it didn't apply to them because their bikes have petrol engines, not electric motors, I have found a motorbike specific item (below) that tells you all you need to know.

:biggrin:

This will be the 3rd time I've suggested this, if you just spent 10 mins doing your own research you'd have your answer, we never would have had this conversation and the membership would be better informed.

Fred, by the way, was not offended, he and I have previously had this very discussion and agreed to disagree in a civilised manner, in fact, he was expecting my response when he posted that.  :biggrin:

Noel

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress"
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

T Legg

Fred you need to take an infrared temperature reading of your wheel bearings after your next ride and see if there is a measureable difference between yours and normal lightly lubricated bearings.Scientific methods are needed to settle this.
T Legg

Pat Conlon

I agree with Noel that I can over pack my motorcycle wheel bearings with grease.
I know this from experience.
I never had a failure, but I have had the churned grease blow out the bearing's grease seal.
Lesson learned.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

ZOA NOM

I imagine that the balls inside the bearing aren't pushing their way through the packed grease as much as might be assumed. I believe there is sufficient slippage at the contact point between the inner race and the balls that significant heat from friction isn't a problem at the speed of rotation we're dealing with on a motorcycle hub. The race just slides on by, as it were, while the balls rotate some, but not likely 1:1 with the race.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

racerrad8

Quote from: ribbert on November 18, 2019, 09:26:18 AM
As for last nights screen shot of the google page, for those that thought it didn't apply to them because their bikes have petrol engines, not electric motors, I have found a motorbike specific item (below) that tells you all you need to know.

:biggrin:

Fred, by the way, was not offended, he and I have previously had this very discussion and agreed to disagree in a civilised manner, in fact, he was expecting my response when he posted that.  :biggrin:

Noel
                                                                                 "The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress"

Well, there you are everyone in FJ land, I must apologize for the disservice I have done to all of you by questioning the virility of the opinion of one man on the forum. As he has so eloquently modified for us with the google machine proof from the interwebs. It must be true, even though it is still from the machinery industry, not a motorcycle industry or wheel bearing industry. (even if he did have to modify it)

Noel, I am not sure how you read so much into everything that I post. At no point did I ever mention anything about Fred or his feelings or if he was offended. But, you have chosen to believe that I was questioning your position based on his feelings. I merely asked if you had any proof from the motorcycle or wheel bearing industry and you do not.

So, for purposes of this discussion and based on your final little quote about victory, I will leave it at this: I am not trying to win, I am a providing a service to the forum members and non-members. If you cannot provide the relevant support of your opinion or that of the "industry" for parrot and are so in touch with then it must be considered solely as your opinion without true industry support.

So, all of you forum readers, do your own investigation of the proper methods to pack "wheel bearings" and please come to your own conclusions. Just as Fred and Noel have agreed to disagree, that is where I will leave it with Noel.

~It is better to debate a issue without settling it than to settle it without debating it~

I do not agree with his opinion as he has presented it, if at some point he can produce something of proof, maybe he can change my mind. But for now, please take his advice as his "opinion" and not the best practice for your FJ and its wheel bearings.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM