News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

16 inch tire options

Started by guzzigriso8vse, November 07, 2019, 06:29:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guzzigriso8vse

Hello fellow FJ ers. I'm a long time motorhead, 2 wheels , 4 wheels, tracks, water etc.... and need to scope out tire options for spirited riding. Being the only thing between you and the road this is what I keep up to date.

Recently picked up a very low mileage '86 from a friend and struggling to find tires other than the 45's. Luv to have radials front and rear but.... NA Zeroed in on the following combo and want to see if anyone has tried these: Avon Spirit rear radial and Conti TKV11 front bias.

Any input appreciated, Thanks much, Stan
86 FJ1200
94 GTS100
82 KZ750
2012 GRISO1200
89 FZR400
78 SR500
78 DUCATI 900GTS
2018 Fiesta ST
2004 Mercury Marauder
1998.5 SVT Contour

TexasDave

I will say that is a handsome young man in the photo. I don't know how well that combination will work as I have Avon Spirits both front and rear on my 93. I do know they stick to the road good. They are a dual compound rubber with harder in the middle and softer on the sides. I haven't ridden far enough on them to see what their mileage will be. Sorry not much help.
A pistol is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will never need one again.

red

Quote from: guzzigriso8vse on November 07, 2019, 06:29:03 AMHello fellow FJ ers. I'm a long time motorhead, 2 wheels , 4 wheels, tracks, water etc.... and need to scope out tire options for spirited riding. Being the only thing between you and the road this is what I keep up to date.
Recently picked up a very low mileage '86 from a friend and struggling to find tires other than the 45's. Luv to have radials front and rear but.... NA Zeroed in on the following combo and want to see if anyone has tried these: Avon Spirit rear radial and Conti TKV11 front bias.  Any input appreciated, Thanks much, Stan
Stan,

Welcome to the FJ sandbox!   :yes: 

I run on Pirelli Sport Demons, front and rear; they are far better than the ancient Metzlers that came on the bike.  
Haven't worn the Pirellis out yet, but they look good at 3000 miles (5000 km).
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

T Legg

I have run several sets of sport demon tires.I think they handle very well.when my son used road pilot fours on his zzr I thought the sport demons handled better.He now has road pilot fives and those tires are excellent handling.              I've never been able to get more than three thousand miles before the sport Demons are worn out and I've had a few sets with flaws like a sidewall bubble and dry rot on a tire less than three years old.I still think they are the best choice for sixteen inch wheels.
T Legg

Millietant

Personally, I wouldn't mix the tyres as you are suggesting. I'm sure the conti TKV front profile will be relatively matched to a Conti bias ply rear tyre profile. The Radial Avon won't be designed to work with a Bias Conti and while you might not have any problems, it's not something I would risk on a big, heavy, powerful, lump like the FJ especially when I have a tendency to ride with family as passengers and like to push on a bit.

I'd just suggest getting a matching pair of Avon's, or Conti's rather than mixing them up........but maybe I'm just being overly cautious.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

moparman70

I run Avon Tires -- STORM X_M 3D but the problem is for the 86 with the 16 inch front is they no longer make the same for the front.   So you would have to do more research for it to find a radial for the front

150/80 ZR 16   (71W)   R   MT3.50   3.50-4.25   152   6.0   646   25.4   8

https://www.avontyres.com/en-us/tyres/storm-3d-x-m?cartype=motorcycle

FJ_Hooligan

I successfully ran the opposite combination on my '85 FJ for the life of a set of tires.

I had a Dunlop D305 Z-rated 16" radial on the front and a Dunlop D401 H-rated bias ply (Harley Davidson branded) tire on the rear.

I could ride that combo as aggressively as a radial/radial combo.  Except for being a little slippery in the rain that rear tire never gave me a concern.
DavidR.

Tuned forks

Isn't the 88-90 FJ 17" front wheel a bolt on?  If so, perhaps a member that has converted to the 3.5" front wheel has a stocker laying about gathering dust?

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Pat Conlon

Joe, no, the  oem '89/93 17" FJ front wheel is not a direct bolt on. You need to also use the '89/93 brake calipers that fits the oem 17" wheel and rotors...Now, to fit the '89/93 calipers you need to change the '84/87 fork lowers to the '89/93 fork lowers. (i.e. on the '84/87 forks, the caliper mounting tabs are in the wrong spot)

(Exception) You can bolt on the oem 17" FJ front wheel and rotors on your '84/87 forks if you use custom offset caliper brackets so the '89/93 brake calipers (or monoblock calipers) will work on the '84/87 fork lowers.....these custom brackets are hard to come by....

What folks do: Seeing as though the '84/87 anti dive system is worthless, folks just change out the early FJ forks to the later forks and call it a day.

These 17" wheel modifications are easily reversible so I see no reason why even a collector who wishes to keep his FJ factory oem should not take advantage of the (far) superior 17" tires now available.

Tires, tires, tires, tires, tires, tires....it's all about better tires....

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Urban_Legend

Yep, What Pat said.

I am running my 84 FJ with a complete 89 front end, pretty much slide the old front out of the clamps and slide the new one in, and I have not looked back after replaceing the rear with a suzuki rim. All reversable to stock in an afternoon. Bonus is that you can fit 17" tyres and asthetics. FJ's were made for a fat rear.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

red

Quote from: Tuned forks on November 07, 2019, 06:56:41 PMIsn't the 88-90 FJ 17" front wheel a bolt on?  If so, perhaps a member that has converted to the 3.5" front wheel has a stocker laying about gathering dust?
Joe
Joe,

What IS possible as an easy upgrade is to find a complete front end assembly, that is axle, forks, steering stem, top clamp, brake disks and calipers, for a bargain price on eBay.  The possible donors are many, to convert it all for a 17" rim.  Not sure what years and models are the right donor cycles, but maybe somebody here can chime in, or you can search in the older posts to locate the possibilities.  It's a popular (inexpensive) conversion method.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Millietant

LOL, I have a complete '89 3CV front end - 17" wheel, forks, spindle, discs, calipers, "triple trees" (I gather that's what you US guys call them), master cylinder, lever and handlebars, all sat in my garage, together with the 3-spoke 16" back wheel and brake disc, all left over from my USD front and Thundercat rear wheel conversions.

I'd be happy to let them go to a member here for a nominal fee, but getting them across to the USA or AUS could be a bit of an issue !
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

X-Ray

Heres another vote for the Sport Demons on the standard rims. They are great in wet/dry, not sure of longevity yet if you do a lot of highway miles, but I will know in a few months how good they are as an "all rounder"
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

moparman70

one other note that I have found pertaining to the front 17 inch stock FJ rim -- in stock form it is a 3 inch wide rim so putting on 120/80-17 modern tire will fit but most 120/80 will spec out better with a 3.5 inch rim -- spec might say 3-3.5 -- I have found the profile on the 120 with a 3 inch rim to be pinched -- while it will fit and work the side edges will be drawn in more -- I have gone with a 110/80 -17 that specs out better for the 3 inch rim and maintains a better profile past center.

the above is for the radials -- bias ply seem to have a different profile.

GS Jockey

Quote from: moparman70 on November 08, 2019, 10:09:36 AM
one other note that I have found pertaining to the front 17 inch stock FJ rim -- in stock form it is a 3 inch wide rim so putting on 120/80-17 modern tire will fit but most 120/80 will spec out better with a 3.5 inch rim -- spec might say 3-3.5 -- I have found the profile on the 120 with a 3 inch rim to be pinched -- while it will fit and work the side edges will be drawn in more -- I have gone with a 110/80 -17 that specs out better for the 3 inch rim and maintains a better profile past center.

the above is for the radials -- bias ply seem to have a different profile.

I dunno what it's like over there for getting hold of FZR GENESIS (Not the later Exup) front wheels, they're like Hens' teeth over here (UK), but if you can get one they're 3.5 rims and a straight swap.
Unfortunately I am no longer young enough to know everything...