News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

'84 FJ1100 resto mod

Started by stou, November 11, 2019, 06:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stou

As I wrote in the Introdution section, I started a FJ1100 project from 2 bikes I got from a friend who gived them to me. One with paper and the other one for parts. Both bikes are in very rough condition. The one with the paper has a striped spark plug and drain plug. Lots of cracked body parts and rust. So I decided to do a resto mod and not only a restoration.

I did a sketch of what it will look like when rebuild.

I started by taking apart the 2 bikes.

The first thing I did is shortened the subframe.

I removed 8" long

I made some inserts with my lathe, put them in the frame tubes and welded it.

I cutted the seat and the sides panels

I painted the frame black

Paul.1478

I really like your color choices. Looks VERY Yamaha
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

stou

Dieselman7.3

Really cool.  Can't wait to see the progress keep posting  :good2:
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

stou

Last weekend I cleaned and powder coated the handlebars and triple clamp.

Then I assembled the steering and rear suspension. I'm waiting for new fork seals to rebuild the front fork. I also want to make bypass plates to remove the anti-dive units.

stou

Another batch of powder coated parts. I did those in glossy black.

stou

I cleaned and sanded the wheels for powder coating. The one on the right is done and I left a 1/4" aluminium ring around the rim. This is to avoid scratching the paint when installing tires.

New Avon tires received. I ordered them at Fortnine.ca, very fast and free shipping. I placed the order Wednesday afternoon and I received them Tursday around noon!

I started to work on the engine. I took apart the one that look the badest and it is not too bad inside. Piston and cylinder are clean with no scratches.

Once cleaned

stou

I rebuilded the front suspension, installed the rear suspension, mounted the tires and installed the wheels.

I also made an experience for the bypass plate to replace the anti-dive. I decided to try to made those in polyethylene (PETG) plastic! It's strong and chemical resistant. I think it will work. If not, I will made some in aluminum. But let's try it!

First, I designed it in Fusion 360, my 3D design software.

Then I printed a draft part and tried it. It was perfect, so I printed 2 in PETG. I also cut some gaskets with my Silhouette cutter.

Here's the result on the fork!

Next spring, we'll see if it works!

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

stou

Nice FJmonkey! Did you made this bypass plate? I used a gasket instead of an o'ring. I tough it can be difficult to find oval o'ring at the right size.

FJmonkey

I have not made it. But I did base it on an O-ring size that can be found on the shelf. The down side is the need for a CNC mill to make it.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Quote from: stou on November 12, 2019, 06:28:31 AM

I also want to make bypass plates to remove the anti-dive units.

Blank off plates for the 1100 and early 1200's are an Off The Shelf Item. They can be purchased here in Black or bare Aluminum.

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/dadbpp-rz5b

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

stou

Quote from: FJmonkey
I have not made it. But I did base it on an O-ring size that can be found on the shelf. The down side is the need for a CNC mill to make it.
A CNC or a milling. I have a milling and a small rotary table, so it can be made with those tools. But it is easier with 3D printing!

Quote from: aviationfredBlank off plates for the 1100 and early 1200's are an Off The Shelf Item. They can be purchased here in Black or bare Aluminum.

Yes I know they are available off the shelf. But it's more fun to make them ourselves!  :smile:

I think I will modify my design to work with 2 round o'ring instead of a gasket and 3D print new one!

Motofun

Many years ago I bought 2 sets of block off plates from the lead guy on the RZRD500 web site.  One for my RZ and one for my FJ1100.  They are aluminum, cross drilled with o rings.  I no longer use the FJ forks so I can sell the blank off plates if you need them...say $50 shipped in the CONUS?
'69 Honda Trail 90
'75 Honda CB400F
'85 Yamaha RZ350
'85 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'09 Yamaha 125 Zuma
'09 Kawasaki KZ110 (grand kids)
'13 Suzuki GSXR 750 (track)
'14 Yamaha FZ-09
'18 Suzuki GSXR 1000R (track)
'23 Yamaha Tenere 7
SOLD: CBX,RZ500,Ninja 650,CB400F,V45 Sabre,CB700SC,R1

Pat Conlon

Quote from: stou on November 25, 2019, 08:12:55 AM
I think I will modify my design to work with 2 round o'ring instead of a gasket and 3D print new one!
I don't know what type of pressure is involved with the fork oil, so I suspect it's a good idea going to a O ring design instead of a paper gasket....just a hunch.
Question: If you need to slot the block off plate, how are you going to get a seal with 2 round o rings?
One large O ring like Monkey shows on his plate is the way to go.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3