News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Looking for hints tips and tricks with the chain

Started by duanelr, November 13, 2019, 06:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duanelr

I've ridden for many years and now I'm a new FJ1200 owner.
I have an OEM exhaust and I'd like to apply chain lube to the inside race of the chain. It seems the most convenient place to do that also puts a lot of over-spray onto the tire and rim. At home I put a brown paper bag in front of the wheel; that stops the extra dripping and overspary, but when I'm touring I don't want to have to carry, or acquire, a bag just to lube the chain. I'd like to make this a 60 second process. Any tips or tricks when lubing the chain while on the road?
Thank you!
My bike is an '87 FJ1200

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Tuned forks

That is tits on a ritz Monkey. 

Duanelr, per Robert's recommendation I use Tri-Flow spray lube.  It's clear and dries with no tackiness.  So I don't care if some gets on the sidewall.  There will now commence a 15 page discussion regarding lubing your chain.  It's Pandora's Box around here.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ZOA NOM

Use an X-link chain, and forget lubing it. Just clean it with a rag and some wd-40.   :bomb:
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

Sparky84

(popcorn)

:rofl2:

Quote from: duanelr on November 13, 2019, 06:37:21 PM
I've ridden for many years and now I'm a new FJ1200 owner.
I have an OEM exhaust and I'd like to apply chain lube to the inside race of the chain.
What's this "lube" you speak of  :scratch_one-s_head:
I use the protective rust coating method, natural look.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

red

Quote from: duanelr on November 13, 2019, 06:37:21 PMI've ridden for many years and now I'm a new FJ1200 owner.
I have an OEM exhaust and I'd like to apply chain lube to the inside race of the chain. It seems the most convenient place to do that also puts a lot of over-spray onto the tire and rim. At home I put a brown paper bag in front of the wheel; that stops the extra dripping and overspary, but when I'm touring I don't want to have to carry, or acquire, a bag just to lube the chain. I'd like to make this a 60 second process. Any tips or tricks when lubing the chain while on the road?  Thank you!
Duane,

So matter where I do the chain lube  job, I put the bike on the centerstand, and start the engine.  If the engine is cold enough or the oil is heavy enough, the rear wheel will turn slowly in Neutral gear.  If not, then engage first gear.  With the bike on the centerstand and the rear wheel turning, get behind the bike and use a chain lube with the skinny plastic straw.  Lay the straw ON top of the chain (which is moving away from you), with the skinny straw pointed straight toward the front sprocket.  Press the spray button gently.  Don't use the full-force of the spray, just dribble the lube onto the top of the chain at a slow and steady pace.  If any spray lube does not hit and stay on the chain, you are spraying too hard.   After the chain has made a few circuits, getting more and more lube, the whole chain will be lubed, with no extra gadgets and NO lube overspray on the wheel or tire.  You can stop the wheel and wipe off any excess lube with a rag, if you wish, but not with the engine running

My US$.02 worth.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Mike Ramos

Quote from: ZOA NOM on November 13, 2019, 10:46:08 PM
Use an X-link chain, and forget lubing it. Just clean it with a rag and some wd-40.   :bomb:

Yep, got that right - (however I use the Tri-Flow) and unless it is raining not usually when on a ride. 

Modern chains are almost maintenance free & the object is to keep the seals intact which the occasional spraying does.  Simply rotate the wheel by hand & apply the lubricant. 

Chain adjustments are only required at tire changes if that often.

Along with the transmission upgrade, it's time for the chain & sprockets to also be replaced - if I can find the mileage notes, I'll post the miles on this chain, but it's usually pushing the 30,000 mile mark.

Ride safe

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

duanelr

Quote from: red on November 14, 2019, 09:26:56 AMget behind the bike and use a chain lube with the skinny plastic straw.  Lay the straw ON top of the chain (which is moving away from you), with the skinny straw pointed straight toward the front sprocket.

This seems like a good tip. What I hear you saying, is to get behind the bike. I'm writing this from my workplace right now, but it also sounds like you are saying to lube the outside of the chain-race, not the inside. Every instruction I've read says to lube the inside race. This may be a compromise I'm forced to make. Thank you for the tip.
I've toured a lot on chain-drive bikes, I'm a lube-with-every-other-gas-stop-guy. I want this process to be fast and simple. I didn't buy this bike to take long trips, but the FJ has really surprised me by how comfortable and smooth it is. If this 32 year old bike is mechanically sound, then traveling on it is a no-brainier.
My bike is an '87 FJ1200

red

Quote from: duanelr on November 17, 2019, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: red on November 14, 2019, 09:26:56 AMget behind the bike and use a chain lube with the skinny plastic straw.  Lay the straw ON top of the chain (which is moving away from you), with the skinny straw pointed straight toward the front sprocket.
This seems like a good tip. What I hear you saying, is to get behind the bike.  it also sounds like you are saying to lube the outside of the chain-race, not the inside. Every instruction I've read says to lube the inside race. This may be a compromise I'm forced to make. Thank you for the tip.
Duane,

You got it.  The lube foams a bit as it is dispensed, and sinks to the bottom of each link barrel.  Just do not dispense so much lube that it drips off the chain before the lube gets to the front sprocket.  That puts lube on the sprockets, which distributes the lube to other parts of the chain (inside) as it runs.  Let the chain make several circuits around the sprockets as you apply the lube.  Works for me.

You might even go a *few* gas stops, before doing the chain again.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.