News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

new to FJ1200"s. What should I be looking out for?

Started by the_kirkwood, December 02, 2019, 02:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_kirkwood

Recently picked up a 1986 FJ1200.

It has an unknown service history.  The most recent owner from what I can tell from his spares box just did some basic maintenance (engine oil, filters, plugs etc).

What should I be concerned with on this bike that has likely been somewhat neglected for many years.

It currently has 60k miles on the clock.

Thanks for the help
1986 fj1200

TomJK

Hi
When it is running OK, I would check valve clearances, mine had a few very tight ones, although it was said it had been serviced regularly....if running bad, clean carbs and put new rubber rings in there, RPM has the items..to start with.
Cheers, Tom.
Past bikes : BMWR90-S,BMW R100CS, Ducati 900SD, Kawasaki GPZ600,Yamaha FJ1200,Kawasaki ZZR 1100 (4x),Kawasaki ZZR1200, Honda CBR1100XXX,Yamaha Thunderace, Kawasaki ZX10R (3X),
Aprillia Falco,Honda CBR600F4I, bikes today : Kawasaki ZX10R (C1, the best!),Yamaha FJ1200, soon to come Kawasaki Z900.....

red

Quote from: TomJK on December 02, 2019, 07:27:21 AMWhen it is running OK, I would check valve clearances, mine had a few very tight ones, although it was said it had been serviced regularly....if running bad, clean carbs and put new rubber rings in there, RPM has the items..to start with.
Cheers, Tom.
the kirkwood,

I agree with Tom, a valve clearance CHECK is not difficult.  SeaFoam (or other carb cleaners) now and then can keep carbs clean.  Replace all clutch and brake fluids; SpeedBleeders.com should be able to make that an easy, one-guy job for you (get their bleeder bag).  Check that the rear brake lever pivot is clean and lubed; you do not want the pads dragging on the disk (it can ruin your day).  Brake disks should not be getting blistering-hot on a sedate ride (stop by going uphill, and check with caution).  Check the clutch slave cylinder for leaking; brake fluid and fairings do not get along well.  Putting the sidestand down with the bike in gear should kill the engine.  With the sidestand up, the bike should start in gear if you pull the clutch lever in completely.

You can spiff up the brake performance by replacing the ancient rubber hydraulic hoses with braided stainless steel lines.  Any decent hydraulics shop will be able to duplicate what you have there; use the new banjo ends that you can rotate (twist) to fit the bike.  You can run two brake lines from the front master cylinder, to the calipers.  That splitter now on the front brake lines is not a good thing, if you want a fork brace later.  No big rush there, but keep it in mind.

That's some of the basic stuff.  You should find that the FJ is one reliable strong bike.  I do like mine.  We welcome questions here, too.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Pat Conlon

Welcome Kirk, We are on a first name basis here, so I'll call you Kirk.
See my signature line. Download and Read the Owners Handbook. Lots of good stuff in there.
Read through our Files sections, lots of good stuff in there.
Go to your profile (button at top of page) modify your signature line to show you have a 1986 FJ1200.
This will show up every time you post. That way when you ask a question we can be sure the answers we give are the correct answers for your model FJ. There are differences between the years.
This will help us, help you.

Cheers

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

CutterBill

Just my suggestions. Your mileage may vary...
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

the_kirkwood

Great. Thanks for the advice.
Just dropped a pile of money at rpm so that should get me started.
1986 fj1200

the_kirkwood

Should I be concerned about the timing chain with approx 60k miles on the clock?
1986 fj1200

CutterBill

Quote from: the_kirkwood on December 04, 2019, 07:03:52 AMShould I be concerned about the timing chain with approx 60k miles on the clock?
The cam chain? No. The cam chain tensioner (CCT) keeps it adjusted. And besides... the only way to replace it is to completely disassemble the engine.
Bill
Never Slow Down, Never Grow Old.

Current Stable:                                                     
FJ1100                                              
FJ1200 (4)
1999 Yamaha WR400 (street-legal)
2015 Super Tenere
2002 Honda Goldwing

ribbert

Quote from: the_kirkwood on December 04, 2019, 07:03:52 AM
Should I be concerned about the timing chain with approx 60k miles on the clock?

As Bill said, nothing to worry about, there are plenty of bikes here with hundreds of thousands of Km's still running original cam chains. If, however you have already decided to do so, you can use a split chain which makes it a relatively minor job.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

the_kirkwood

Ok thanks.
Does the tensioner require maintenance or should it also be good for the life of the engine?
1986 fj1200