News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Picked up another Yamaha today

Started by aviationfred, December 08, 2019, 09:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aviationfred

I have been looking to buy my daughter her first motorcycle for Christmas. At 5'1" tall and 110lbs our choices have been limited. I wanted something that could do 75mph all day if necessary but also a low seat height and light weight. Something without a large price tag as I now it will be dropped a few times. My search turned up a 1990 Yamaha Virago 535. I found it on the Facebook Market Place in Caney Kansas, about 115 miles southwest of Wichita. Other than a suspect charging system, the little cruiser ran well for the ride back to Wichita.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Tuned forks

The important thing is, does she like it?

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Firehawk068

That is awesome Fred!

and please ATTGAT !
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

aviationfred

Quote from: Firehawk068 on December 08, 2019, 10:41:52 PM

and please ATTGAT !

Most definitely  :good:

She has 2 Helmets, A mesh jacket and a solid textile jacket, Full textile pants, boots and gloves.

I made it a rule for the kids, that if they wanted to ride with me, even as a passenger that they were to wear the gear that I bought them.

As a passenger, I had a difficult time getting her to wear gloves, as evident in this photo from 2 years ago. She has everything else on.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Pat Conlon

Look at her smile! An absolutely precious moment in time which father and daughter will never forget.

Kudos dad!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

1tinindian

Very nice Fred!
I only hope you don't have the starter motor trouble with this one compared to my 750 Virago.
She looks like a proud new owner and I hope she will be a regular at the rallies.
I know having my son Cory with me for rallies we attended together were some of my most cherished time with him.
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

big r

Had a 920 Virago wasn't a bad bike unless you rode it hard. The gas would boil in the back carb and pretty much turned it into a single until you stopped for a while and let it cool off The starter left a lot to be desired as well, would kick out as soon as it fired and sounded like it was coming out the side of the engine. I liked the bike when it was running right. I think the 535 is a great level entry bike and she should enjoy it. Looks really clean

ribbert

Good on you Fred.

I had this opportunity only a couple of years ago with my then mid 20's son, teaching him to ride and doing the first bike thing.

It was an opportunity to relive the father / child teaching experience I thought was long gone.

Although we've always been close, it has breathed new life into interests we share and things we do together. We have now put many trips and memories under our belts over the last three years that will last a lifetime.

I hope you enjoy the same and wish you many happy miles riding with your daughter, as a parent of adult children the opportunity do this is pure gold.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Millietant

I'm with you on that Noel, our youngest son has been with us on bikes since he was legally old enough to be a passenger and got his first "road bike" at 16. Luckily, Liz was a riding instructor at the time so he got lots of "proper" training for his CBT.

The memories we have could fill a huge scrap-book. One of the best was "family" off-road riding down in Devon on some fabulous trails/courses. Sadly, a good friend who was with us had a heart attack a couple of years later, but we have plenty of photo's and memories of that weekend to remind us of one of the great times we had with him.

Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Millietant

Getting to tour with your daughter on her own bike will likely be the best (if slightly worrying) times you ever have on a bike Fred.

Good luck to her, you're a lucky dad and she's a lucky daughter. I know it's not a Yamaha slogan, but "let the good times roll" !!!!!! :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.