News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

radar detectors

Started by T Legg, December 13, 2019, 11:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on January 11, 2020, 04:21:02 PM
I love it when a grammar/spelling Nazi does this IN THEIR RANT...  :rofl2:

hint: you missed a comma

Rick, re my missing comma, what you are referring to is called an Oxford comma and immediately precedes 'and'.  Its use is not mandatory and opinion on it divided. It's proper use is likely to be debated until such time as social media and Trump speak render all grammar and spelling correctness irrelevant.

In this instance it was an intentional omission.

As for "here/hear", if you're the sort of guy that finds uncorrected auto correct typos funny, glad I could provide some entertainment.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: racerrad8 on January 11, 2020, 04:01:33 PM

I did find an error from the kettle who is calling the pot black... :bomb:
Quote from: ribbert on January 07, 2020, 05:09:11 AM
Great to here Pete....

Noel
Randy - RPM

You are right Randy, ridiculing someone's spelling and grammar mistakes is childish and pedantic.

Even more so if it's your sole reason for posting!     :biggrin:

So Mike, my apologies. It was an attempt at levity that failed.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

racerrad8

Quote from: ribbert on January 11, 2020, 08:19:13 PM
...something that is done hear on the forum and a million other places on the net daily.

Noel

Smooth move...  :nyam1:

I does just go to show that I am still present in the background reading almost every word posted.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

ZOA NOM

Quote from: ribbert on January 12, 2020, 07:14:10 AM

hint: you missed a comma

Rick, re my missing comma, what you are referring to is called an Oxford comma and immediately precedes 'and'.  Its use is not mandatory and opinion on it divided. It's proper use is likely to be debated until such time as social media and Trump speak render all grammar and spelling correctness irrelevant.

In this instance it was an intentional omission.

As for "here/hear", if you're the sort of guy that finds uncorrected auto correct typos funny, glad I could provide some entertainment.

Noel

Aww, bless your heart. The "Oxford comma", is the "penultimate comma in a list of items". I saw no list in your rant. Get it right or go home.
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on January 12, 2020, 05:30:17 PM

Aww, bless your heart. The "Oxford comma", is the "penultimate comma in a list of items". I saw no list in your rant. Get it right or go home.

Quote from: ZOA NOM on January 12, 2020, 05:32:26 PM

No, but he'll need a thesaurus.

Whoa...I just found these. Just when you think everyone's playing nicely.

It's very late and I'm going to bed, but Rick, I assume someone has by now has pointed out your cock up   :mocking: :rofl2:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Noel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ZOA NOM

Quote from: ribbert on January 23, 2020, 08:33:19 AM

It's very late and I'm going to bed, but Rick, I assume someone has by now has pointed out your cock up   :mocking: :rofl2:

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Noel,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lemme guess, you can neither write nor read?
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on January 23, 2020, 01:57:13 PM
Lemme guess, you can neither write nor read?
Just enough to know there's no such thing as a "penultimate comma"

Quote from: ZOA NOM on January 12, 2020, 05:30:17 PM

As you say .....
On this we agree.

C'mon Rick, that is a bit funny.  Get it right or go home indeed!

Noel

ZOA NOM

You got me there, Noel. I neglected to vet the source and just copy and pasted the quote. In any event, your original rant indeed lacked a necessary comma, notwithstanding your incorrect usage of the "Oxford comma" distraction. Clearly, your missing comma had nothing to do with a list, and your use of it as a defense is laughable indeed.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

CanDman

Hey gang...been away for a while, what did I miss...  (popcorn)..... Ironic that this is a post on radar detectors.....and yet no one it seems knows how to use the brakes anyway....I guess when it rains......it's probably a good time to throttle down unda!!  :mocking:  
Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

ribbert

Quote from: ZOA NOM on January 25, 2020, 02:00:36 PM
You got me there, Noel. I neglected to vet the source and just copy and pasted the quote. In any event, your original rant indeed lacked a necessary comma, notwithstanding your incorrect usage of the "Oxford comma" distraction. Clearly, your missing comma had nothing to do with a list, and your use of it as a defense is laughable indeed.

Rick, I think it's time for an adult in the room, someone to call time on this silliness. Considering you joined the conversation uninvited and for the sole purpose of correcting what you perceived as a punctuation error and a predictive text editing oversight, I guess that disqualifies you. (Don't worry, this will not affect your nomination for the 2020 "Pedant of the Year" award.)

So, I propose we agree to disagree on whether or not a comma was needed in that context.  Also, the change in phraseology suggests you now have help.

One of life's great joys is seeing a smart arse get his comeuppance. Let the readership (or the handful that are actually reading this shit) make up their own mind as to who that might be, this way everyone goes home happy, thinking they've had a win and there will be no further need for comment on the subject.

What could be fairer than that!

Noel

I notice you've not only done this to me previously, but to others as well. What gives?  Why would you try and humiliate people about grammar on a motorbike forum? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can see no reason other than a desperate bid to appear smarter than the rank and file!

ZOA NOM

Look who has thin skin. Calm down, Noel. Nobody here has anything on you when it comes to injecting themselves into a conversation uninvited. That's rich coming from you. Go back one page in THIS THREAD and see your own initial post was an attack on Ramos for his views in his contribution to the radar detector topic. Did you offer any radar detector info? No. Did I? Yes. So you can take your condescending accusations and shove em "Down Unda". As has been suggested before, YOU have complete control over what you click. Don't like it here, or don't like ME, tough. Go somewhere else.

PS, the comma was necessary in your rant (yes, YOUR rant, which was an injection into a conversation you weren't involved in). It's simple sentence structure from elementary school.
Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

ribbert

CanDman

Well......it's nice to see you girls kiss and make up....I am pretty sure there are a million other issues in the world far more deserving of your intellects..... :mail1: .. I realize I am here...univited...but it seemed a noble cause to jump in and hand out some Olive branches.....we're FJ Owners and FJ Riders....and that's an awesome vice to have in common!!!  :drinks:
 I can't help but reflect on my experience Dan Unda...... it was truly unforgettable..... and everyday, I couldn't stop singing

Do you come from a land down under
        Where women glow and men plunder?
        Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
        You better run, you better take cover  

However....when I sang it.....it was....  "where women blow and men plunge her"   :blush:

I feel silly now but if men at work can make mistakes......surely men at play are allowed to make a few??  :praising:

Here's to belonging to an awesome group of Fine Jentlemen ....... and detecting are broken radars  :drinks:

CanDman  

PS.....any grammatical or spelling errors were intentional  :crazy:

Never regret your choices in life ! There is no way to go back to do it again and compare. Make the most and do your best with every decision you make

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600