News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ1200 - Peachtree City, Georgia

Started by kboehringer, December 29, 2019, 10:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kboehringer

FJ Owners,
I'm located a bit South of Atlanta in Peachtree City, Georgia.   Although I own several Vintage Yamaha's, this is the first FJ.  ( I do own a 2016 FJ"R").  Last year at the Vintage Yamaha Rally Chris' brought two of his beautiful FJ's and I decided if I ever saw one I could get I would have to get it.   I've also been impressed by Fred G.'s FJ and caught the FJ bug from those two gentlemen.

I recently picked up this bike locally, within 3 miles from my home, for a very reasonable price.  It's currently a non-runner, needs a good bit of work and a few missing cosmetic items.   The PO has damaged Carb #4 (broken post) but the bike is predominately complete and unmolested (other than the carbs).   :dash2:

Chris recommended this site and I am Looking forward to your advice and direction as I return this 'ole girl to a roadworthy condition.

Sincerely,
Kurt

Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia
1979 XS1100
1980 XS1100(2)
1981 XS1100
1981 XJ550 Maxim
1982 SECA 650
1986 FJ1200
1992 FZR1000
2016 FJR1300

Tuned forks

Good looking ambulance Kurt.  You will find many knowledgeable and helpful people here on this forum.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Pat Conlon

Welcome Kurt, check with Robert at RPM and see if he has a replacement #4 carb for you...
Actually, just send them your carbs, and they will ultrasonically clean, install proper jets and rebuild them for you.
It will be one less thing you will have to deal with.

Have fun. It is good to see that FJ being restored, warms my heart.

Cheers

Pat
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

kboehringer

Thanks for the welcome aboard.

With a bit of work, I managed to fix the broken float post. 

Really not that hard to repair: file off the rough break area, drill, tap, install a shoulder bolt to replace the post, a little hand filing, drill a hole in new post for the float pin, good as new (actually maybe not, but it'll do to get her going).  When I come across another good #4 I'll likely pull this repaired one off the rack and replace it. 

For the short-term there are a number of more pressing issues to deal with:

• The forks will need to be replaced (bent)
  • Front & Rear brakes are inoperative and the 30+ year old OEM brake lines will all be replaced with SS.  Who has these for sale??
  • The rear rotor went metal-on-metal at some point so it's trash.
  • Clutch master is going to need a rebuild
  • I'll need to install a liner in the tank.  Bike sat for 5-6 years with fuel in it (stunk like heck!).  Although I see no signs of leaking the inside is fugly, needs a liner.
  • Fuel Cock & Level Indicator looked bad but have cleaned up well..... I THINK they will survive
  • Tires "look good" but they are well beyond recommended service life and mismatched as well, they'll be fine for testing around the block but certainly not safe for anything else.

Hopefully, further inspection won't reveal any additional large $$ problems.....

Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia
1979 XS1100
1980 XS1100(2)
1981 XS1100
1981 XJ550 Maxim
1982 SECA 650
1986 FJ1200
1992 FZR1000
2016 FJR1300

Tuned forks

You're gonna see a lot of this recommendation so I'll be the second.  Pat was first.  Send your forks to Robert at RPM.  Here is why I make that point. I sent my forks to Robert for a upgrade to RPM fork mod parts.  The forks already showed they were rebuilt by a reputable shop.  Inside, Robert found all sorts of fugly repairs and mismatched parts.  We are truly fortunate to have a business that caters to our exact model motorcycles.  No one knows more about what is supposed to be inside your forks than Randy and Robert.  Same thing with a set of carbs, from my second FJ, that were supposedly rebuilt locally.  I sent them to Robert and he found more bad voodoo in them.  That's after I sent the carbs from my first FJ to him.  First FJ ran soooo much better after the RPM carb rebuild.
After being idle for years, I suspect your carbs need a cleaning and rebuild.  
Normally I am a DIY kinda guy. I disassembled both of my rides and assembled them plus countless cars and trucks.  However, I've learned thru my years that sometimes it's best to pay someone to do a job that knows it better than I do.

RPM sells the SS brake hoses as well.  Yep, I bought those as well.  Their logo banner is at the top of the forum.  Randy owns this forum.  They are fair people to deal with and are generous with their advice.  If you think you will be buying a lot of parts from them, consider becoming a contributing member to the forum.  When Randy puts on a sale, contributing members get an additional discount.  It really does make financial sense if you buy a lot of parts.  I wish you good luck and good fortune with your project.

Oh, one more thing.  Your bike looks like an early model.  I don't know if it still had the gravity flow fuel system or the fuel pump style.  If you have the gravity flow. follow Pat Conlon's link in his signature regarding safety wire for the fuel petcock.  Bad stuff happens when, not if, when that petcock fails.

Good to see another Fizzer owner on the forum.  Mine is in the forefront of my avatar.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Paul.1478

Welcome. nice looking bike and you found the right place.
I lived in PTC for 21 years just moved to Newnan. we need to go riding!
When you get ready to check/adjust your valves, I have the tool from RPM.

Paul
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Paul.1478

Quote from: kboehringer on December 29, 2019, 08:58:48 PM
Thanks for the welcome aboard.

With a bit of work, I managed to fix the broken float post. 

Really not that hard to repair: file off the rough break area, drill, tap, install a shoulder bolt to replace the post, a little hand filing, drill a hole in new post for the float pin, good as new (actually maybe not, but it'll do to get her going).  When I come across another good #4 I'll likely pull this repaired one off the rack and replace it. 

For the short-term there are a number of more pressing issues to deal with:

I have a good set of forks from my 93. New seals and springs. I removed them because I got a new set with RPM valves and new springs/seals.

• The forks will need to be replaced (bent)
  • Front & Rear brakes are inoperative and the 30+ year old OEM brake lines will all be replaced with SS.  Who has these for sale??
  • The rear rotor went metal-on-metal at some point so it's trash.
  • Clutch master is going to need a rebuild
  • I'll need to install a liner in the tank.  Bike sat for 5-6 years with fuel in it (stunk like heck!).  Although I see no signs of leaking the inside is fugly, needs a liner.
  • Fuel Cock & Level Indicator looked bad but have cleaned up well..... I THINK they will survive
  • Tires "look good" but they are well beyond recommended service life and mismatched as well, they'll be fine for testing around the block but certainly not safe for anything else.

Hopefully, further inspection won't reveal any additional large $$ problems.....

I have a good set of forks from my 93. New seals and springs. I removed them because I got a new set with RPM valves and new springs/seals. I would change springs or at least put a larger spacer in. they were just way to soft. they are straight.
let me know if you want to check them out.
2006 GL1800
2009 KLR650
1976 RD400
1993 FJ 1200 ABS

Bill_Rockoff

Welcome!

We are fortunate to live not-too-far from Traxxion Dynamics in Kennesaw. I had them rebuild my forks and install stiffer springs and cartridge-emulating valves while it was apart. Alternately, RPM in California knows their way around these bikes very well, and they sell a lot of parts we need to upgrade and maintain these bikes, including braided stainless brake lines.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

aviationfred

Welcome to the forum and your purchase of an FJ  :hi:

Glad to see that Chris and I helped pique your interest in the FJ. Once you get yours up and running well, I would like to here your first hand thoughts and comparisons to your XS1100's.

Front fenders do show up on eBay in various condition. All years are interchangeable and only differ in color. The tabs often break and can be repaired.

Here are some photos of a couple of Kurt's vintage Yamaha's that I saw at the Vintage Yamaha Rally in 2018. The final photo is Kurt leading me on his Seca for my introduction to the Tail of The Dragon in the wet.

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

kboehringer

Hey Fred GREAT to see you here!!!

Thanks for posting the photos of a couple of mine.  I'm looking forward to this new bike to my collection being as attractive as yours and Chris.  I will say it'll take a lot to get my FJ to the level of a Chris bike or yours.   Yesterday, I ordered all the carb. rebuild kits, as suggested, from RPM Performance.  Once received, I can hopefully hear this machine run!!

I had an additional very fortunate discovery with the fuel tank.   What LOOKED LIKE mountains of rust has turned out to be mountains of gummy evaporated fuel.  I've been alternately soaking and rinsing the tank with POR-15 Degreaser/Boiling Water and Pine-Sol/Boiling Water and I have almost all of it out.  The inside of the tank is actually in no need of a liner..... looks great inside now.

I've been looking around Evil-Bay for the fender & lower spoiler.   Chris suggested that the fiberglass replacements available are a much better choice. Once I have 'er running and the forks straightened out (LOL), I'll purchase those components as well.

Thanks again.
Kurt

Kurt Boehringer
Peachtree City, Georgia
1979 XS1100
1980 XS1100(2)
1981 XS1100
1981 XJ550 Maxim
1982 SECA 650
1986 FJ1200
1992 FZR1000
2016 FJR1300

racerrad8

Quote from: kboehringer on December 29, 2019, 08:58:48 PM

Nice fix on the float post, I never thought of that type of repair.

Looks good and solid.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

chrism40

Welcome to the forum. Nice job on the float post. It will be nice to see more FJs at the Yamaha Rally and other events like Barber and Mid-Ohio Vintage Fests. Using only one or two and sometime none besides mine show up. Be carefull this FJ thing can be addictive. I am on a 12 step program now, I am only up to 8 running FJs, so 4 more to go.  :wacko1:
84 FJ600 Red/silver,84 FJ1100 Red/Silver, 86 FJ1200 Red/white
86 FJ1200 Yellow, 86 FJ1200 Roller project                                  89 FJ1200 Gray/white #1, 89 FJ1200 Gray/White #2,                 89 Gray/White #3, 90 FJ1200 Blue/White, 87 FJ1200 Basket case, 78 Honda CB750K, 78 Vespa P200