News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Florida Panhandle Barn Find.

Started by ST1300, January 17, 2020, 09:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ST1300

Hello all! I'm a teacher in south Alabama, and I've been riding since Dad brought home a YZ 80.  I was ADV camping on an 04DL650 long before Ewan Mcgregor :), but I am currently enjoying my mid 40s on a ST1300.  I am old enough to have daydreamed over 80s Cycle World magazines, and I recently came across this find.

Owner started a family and rode it enough around the block to keep it running. Apparently time got away from him, and he went to start it one day, and it wouldn't. He pushed it aside, covered it, and other projects crept up. The paint and body is in great shape, and I am going to be asking you good folks a ton of questions through this restore.

Thanks in advance.

RevDeal

That looks like an exciting find! Will be following your restore!
1992 FJ1200A (ABS Delete) 
1980 CB750k (gone to a new home)

Tuned forks

That's an excellent score.  A very difficult part of owning or buying these machines is the aged and damaged plastics.  You are ahead of the game.  Before you even ask advice, I'll offer that a full carburetors rebuild is likely in your future.  Nearly everyone that has resurrected one of these FJ's experiences running, idling or stating issues due to gummed up or block carbs.  Before you try sync'ing your carbs, you'll also want to set the valve clearances.  It really does affect the quality of idle and such.  Good luck.  This forum, and our sponsor RPM, are your friend.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ST1300

Thanks for any advice. I plan on getting on the carbs 1st. The plastic looked great from my viewing. I'll see more flaws when I give her a wash.

Tuned forks

Be careful with that wash.  Rinse with lots of water before touching the paint/dirt.  Even dust can scratch the paint.  The detailers use a foaming gun to float the dirt off the paint before touching it.  Not implying you need such tools, just rinse thoroughly.  I would think the paint will look stellar after some detail work.  
If you can afford the price, RPM/Robert does a bang up job rebuilding carbs or you can order their carb kit and try the job yourself.  I'm not sure if your bike is a gravity fed or fuel pump machine.  If it's gravity, Pat and others will likely advise you to replace the fuel petcock.  I'm sure he will post soon.

I see from the parts laying about  that the former owner was a C3 Corvette enthusiast.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

ST1300

Quote from: Tuned forks on January 17, 2020, 11:59:08 AM
Be careful with that wash.  Rinse with lots of water before touching the paint/dirt.  Even dust can scratch the paint.  The detailers use a foaming gun to float the dirt off the paint before touching it.  Not implying you need such tools, just rinse thoroughly.  I would think the paint will look stellar after some detail work.  
If you can afford the price, RPM/Robert does a bang up job rebuilding carbs or you can order their carb kit and try the job yourself.  I'm not sure if your bike is a gravity fed or fuel pump machine.  If it's gravity, Pat and others will likely advise you to replace the fuel petcock.  I'm sure he will post soon.

I see from the parts laying about  that the former owner was a C3 Corvette enthusiast.

Joe

Indeed! He was showing me. I'm not up on Vettes, but apparently the AC and special rearend made it rare.

ST1300