News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Air duct running lights.

Started by MACHV, January 25, 2020, 09:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHV

Before I catch hell for putting an obstruction in these things, I tested them with a fan, a shop vac and a leaf blower to make sure plenty of air came out the other end.
"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

stou

If it doesn't block too much air to cool the engine, it's a good way to add more light so cars can see you better.

ribbert

Quote from: MACHV on January 25, 2020, 09:46:58 AM
Before I catch hell for putting an obstruction in these things, I tested them with a fan, a shop vac and a leaf blower to make sure plenty of air came out the other end.

I wouldn't worry about the airflow, those ducts catch a lot of air.

These lights frequently travel long distances at relatively low speed in stinking heat. They have been fitted for the last 100,000km and there is no sign of overheating of the combined parts and EGT's when very hot are uniform. The recently checked engine vitals are excellent.

A standard FJ headlight coming towards you in daylight is scarily difficult to see. I think the adding of brighter (be seen) lights is an excellent idea and I like the discreet mounting, good one.

Noel

"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Dieselman7.3

I like the hidden lights. How bright are they? How well did it improve your night vision?
Current:
85 fj1100
89 fj1200 - was for parts now a new project
16 Versys 650 - for off payment riding
Past:
86 fj1200
05 ex500
78 Ltd750

MACHV

Quote from: ribbert on January 26, 2020, 05:40:42 AM
Quote from: MACHV on January 25, 2020, 09:46:58 AM

I wouldn't worry about the airflow, those ducts catch a lot of air.

These lights frequently travel long distances at relatively low speed in stinking heat. They have been fitted for the last 100,000km and there is no sign of overheating of the combined parts and EGT's when very hot are uniform. The recently checked engine vitals are excellent.

A standard FJ headlight coming towards you in daylight is scarily difficult to see. I think the adding of brighter (be seen) lights is an excellent idea and I like the discreet mounting, good one.

Noel

I had been wanting to (and did) install smalle accent lights in there so the wires were already plumbed. Your lights did, in fact, inspire me to install some that were actually useful. These are simply white versions of the red emergency strobe I have for the brake. Pictures don't do these little things justice. You can't look at them.they have more of a flood effect, I think. Cast on a wall, they seem at least as bright as the low beam. When I get a chance to cast these things down some dark pavement, I will give an update.
"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

MACHV

Took a video of the lights at the shop this morning. Also, as I work at a small airport, I was able to drive about 1200 feet away down the ramp to check aim and brightness.
They definitely overpower the headlight even on high beam. Wish I had done this from the get-go.

https://youtu.be/2qc3xZnPxeY

ribbert

Quote from: MACHV on January 28, 2020, 06:52:23 AM
Took a video of the lights at the shop this morning. Also, as I work at a small airport, I was able to drive about 1200 feet away down the ramp to check aim and brightness.
They definitely overpower the headlight even on high beam. Wish I had done this from the get-go.

https://youtu.be/2qc3xZnPxeY

Excellent, every bit helps and they seem to make quite a difference.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ZOA NOM

I like the cleaner look, if they perform well. MachV, is there a link to these?
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

MACHV

Quote from: ZOA NOM on January 28, 2020, 09:00:46 AM
I like the cleaner look, if they perform well. MachV, is there a link to these?

They are on Amazon and Ebay too. About $60 for a pair. Some have mounting brackets but decided to make my own.
https://www.ledoutfitters.com/feniex/perimeter-mounts/t3-surface-mount/

FJ Flyer

I got these Denali DLRs for my FJR.  I like the fender mounts and the option of low and high settings.

Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.