News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Wavy chickenstrips

Started by T Legg, April 15, 2020, 12:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

I got back from a ride today and noticed my chickenstrips were wavy and fuzzy. I had heard that a misaligned tire could cause that. I checked the chain tensioners and found one side was just before the third mark and the other side was just after the third mark. In the past I have checked my alignment and found that my alignment is perfect when my tensioners are lined up correctly. I realigned the wheel correctly. It will be interesting to see if the chicken strip goes back to an even crisp line
T Legg

FJ Flyer

I found the marks on my '87 were fairly inaccurate and didn't rely on them.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

red

Quote from: T Legg on April 15, 2020, 12:02:37 AMI got back from a ride today and noticed my chickenstrips were wavy and fuzzy. I had heard that a misaligned tire could cause that. I checked the chain tensioners and found one side was just before the third mark and the other side was just after the third mark. In the past I have checked my alignment and found that my alignment is perfect when my tensioners are lined up correctly. I realigned the wheel correctly. It will be interesting to see if the chicken strip goes back to an even crisp line
T Legg,

If one side showed "wavy" wear, and the other side did not, wheel alignment might be the issue.  Good catch, no matter the cause.

How many miles on your rear shock absorber now?
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

T Legg

The stock rear shock was replaced with a Penske shock probably back in the late eighty's. Both sides are wavy. My last rear tire did not have this problem so I'm hopeful the tire realignment solves the problem. I'm going to borrow my alignment tool back from my son and double check the alignment later today just to be sure.
T Legg

mtc

damn you lean waaaay over, are those rims wider than the ones on the 1985?

Current
1985 FJ1100

Previous Bikes
1979 Yamaha XS1100 best one
1984 FJ1100
1987 FZR600
1987 Fazer
1985 Vision
1982 Seca 750
1978 RD400 Spec II Motor

Live Life Wrong and Perspire

T Legg

Quote from: mtc on May 14, 2020, 03:56:52 PM
damn you lean waaaay over, are those rims wider than the ones on the 1985?

The rims are stock for an 84 fj exactly the same as on an 85 with stock size Pirelli sport demons. I find that at the rally's i've attended it is hard to find a chicken strip. I've been inspired enough at a few of them to remove my own but I usually have a 3/16" to 1/4" strip. Living in the mountains provides a lot of opportunity to corner. By the way I rechecked my chain tensioner indicator marks and when aligned properly the wheel shows to be dead on. The chicken strips have gone back to being straight lines.
T Legg