News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

2020 Aussie FJ Rally - Dartmouth Victoria

Started by Urban_Legend, February 09, 2020, 05:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urban_Legend

Well we are only a few weeks out form our annual Aussie FJ Rally.

I have noticed that the Queensland contingent are getting their bikes serviced, checked out and buttoned up for the trip south. There is a bit of chatter form the New South Wales guys along the same lines as QLD. But the Victoria crew have been very quiet.

I have got my room booking done for Dartmouth Motor Inn and will be bunking in with Arnie, but I am still unsure of the route I will be taking down south. The only certainty is that I will be staying in Albury on the Thursday night with my daughter.

I am really looking forward to the trip and catching up with this brilliant bunch of people again.

Safe tavels everyone.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Sparky84

I Just need an oil and filter change, Mark.
I've been watching the chatter on FB up until a couple of days ago and then I was shut out, think FB changed something.

But I might not make it due to bathroom renos happening  :sorry:

I do need to catch up with you about routes north of Grafton for Toowoomba weekend.
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on February 09, 2020, 11:49:27 PM

But I might not make it due to bathroom renos happening  :sorry:

Come on Al, you don't want to be remembered as this guy do you?.....

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

ribbert

Quote from: Urban_Legend on February 09, 2020, 05:12:08 PM

Well we are only a few weeks out form our annual Aussie FJ Rally.

I have noticed that the Queensland contingent are getting their bikes serviced, checked out and buttoned up for the trip south. There is a bit of chatter form the New South Wales guys along the same lines as QLD. But the Victoria crew have been very quiet.

Mark

Mark, that's because the Victorian contingent is always ride-ready, poised to spring into action at a moments notice. No fair weather fairies down here. The hard core blokes have fireman poles into their FJ caves and can be out the door less than 30 secs after being given permission by their wives deciding to go. Their favourite app is BOM Radar. :biggrin:

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

fj-f3a

I'm set and ready to ride.
Leaving on the Wednesday for Bermi, then riding with (trying to follow) Pete and Alf via Tumbarumba then on to Dartmouth Friday.

Barth room reno Alan!
Come on, get real. I don't want to ride alone.

Troy, what are you intentions?

Gavin

Wings Level

Current
1990 FJ1200, Wet Pale Brown
J17xMT5.5 rear wheel from a 2001 Kawasaki Zx9r
Stainless exhausts
Electronic cruise control
Custom seat
Yamaha R6 Blue Spot Callipers
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

oldktmdude

Quote from: ribbert on February 10, 2020, 07:10:38 AM

Mark, that's because the Victorian contingent is

Noel
Noel, what does "Victorian contingent" mean? This is a term that I'm not familiar with. Victorians are like hen's teeth when it comes to
attending FJ Rallies (or anything FJ related when it comes to that matter.) Yourself and Arnie  excepted of coarse.
   Looking forward to riding with you again  Gav. Al, forget the shitter and fix it after the Rally. It will still be there when you get back.
Diesel Dave will also be riding along with us Gav, not sure about Troy yet.
   Regards, Pete. :good2:
1985 FJ1100 x2 (1 sold)
2009 TDM 900
1980 Kawasaki Z1R Mk11 (sold and still regretting it)
1979 Kawasaki Z650 (sold)
1985 Suzuki GSXR 400 x2 (next project)
2001 KTM 520 exc (sold)
2004 GasGas Ec300
1981 Honda CB 900 F (sold)
1989 Kawasaki GPX 600 Adventure

Urban_Legend

I am sort of half expecting more northerners than Victorians at this one again.

My ride prep is making sure everything is tight on the bike. check the oil, fill her up and go.
Every time I adjust stuff, and and give it a "tune" before heading off on a ride, something goes wrong.

Lets keep the fingers crossed for this time.

Mark
Mark
My Baby (Sparkles)
84 FJ1100/1200 motor
92 FJ 1200 - Project bike. Finished and sold.
84 FJ1100 - Project bike.

Sparky84

You haven't done any wiring mods lately, Mark?  :dance:
Check them!

Last year I was putting my wheels back on the night before  :biggrin:
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

ribbert

Quote from: Sparky84 on February 11, 2020, 03:29:32 AM
You haven't done any wiring mods lately, Mark?  :dance:
Check them!

Last year I was putting my wheels back on the night before  :biggrin:

A few years back I was fitting adjustable cam sprockets (amongst other things) on the night prior to departure, I finished at about 1.30 am, too late to fire it up. So, having faith in my work, I loaded it up, had a few hours sleep and headed off on my interstate rally trip at 6.00am. Ran like a charm for the 5000km ride and has done ever since.

Despite this experience, I would not recommend last minute work prior to a trip.

Noel

ribbert

Quote from: oldktmdude on February 10, 2020, 05:46:32 PM

Noel
Noel, what does "Victorian contingent" mean? This is a term that I'm not familiar with. Victorians are like hen's teeth when it comes to
attending FJ Rallies (or anything FJ related when it comes to that matter.)

Pete, I hope my tongue planted firmly in my cheek with those observations was obvious.

As I have noted before, I ride 500-700km on average every other Sunday through the Winter, doing so on the most popular bike roads (in good weather) in the state and I don't see a single other bike all day. Not even at the bikie favoured food stops and destinations. I love this, having the roads to myself for an entire day is spectacular.

The last FJ event down here was a few months back in good weather and in suburbia. One bloke, John Curnow turned up. The irony was, he had never been to an FJ event and knew no other owners despite owning his lovely near mint '84 from new.

It's not just FJer's, Victorian motorcyclists just don't seem to ride anywhere. As someone who is out and about all year round I can assure you this is the case. I don't understand it, best roads and weather in the country.

Noel

X-Ray

Yes, still things to do. Waiting on some shims to turn up next week, (4 valves were out of spec, 2 were extra tight ), and then a new front tyre, bleed front/back brakes etc and bolt her back together. Need to do some test rides before March to make sure everything is going to be ok though.
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Sparky84

Well the bathroom Renos aren't going as planned, a few hiccups have been encountered  :dash2:
1984 FJ1100
1979 Kawasaki Z1300
1972 Honda CB750/4 K2

fj-f3a

Quote from: Sparky84 on February 20, 2020, 05:03:56 AM
a few hiccups have been encountered  :dash2:

I have heard that breathing in and out of a paper bag is good for hiccups.
Personally, I think a dose of fresh mountain air at an FJ Rally is a better cure.

Will I have to ride alone?
Wings Level

Current
1990 FJ1200, Wet Pale Brown
J17xMT5.5 rear wheel from a 2001 Kawasaki Zx9r
Stainless exhausts
Electronic cruise control
Custom seat
Yamaha R6 Blue Spot Callipers
FJR1300 Master Cylinder
Stainless brake lines

Tony Mac

Quote from: oldktmdude on February 10, 2020, 05:46:32 PM

Noel
attending FJ Rallies (or anything FJ related when it comes to that matter.) Yourself and Arnie  excepted of coarse.
  Looking forward to riding with you again  Gav. Al, forget the shitter and fix it after the Rally. It will still be there when you get back.
Diesel Dave will also be riding along with us Gav, not sure about Troy yet.

Regards, Pete. :good2:

Hey Pete, what about me?
I'll be there.
'92 FJ1200
'80 Suzuki GSX 750ET Shirley (Gone to god )
'04 Yamaha XVS1100A Tom (Sold)

Tony Mac

G'day you lot.
I've been keeping a low profile up until now.
I have been kept busy with work and looking after Lesley so hopefully she can come along to Dartmouth with me.
I have just replaced the front brake lines with S/S braided lines and to tell you the truth, I'm not overly impressed.
I was expecting to be flung over the handlebars but found there was not much difference to the OEM fitted lines I took off.
No doubt they will wear in over time.
Also just about to fit a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT something or others before heading off next Friday.
Ray Wise, you'll be very disappointed with the condition of my bike. I'm hoping there will be a "Dirtiest FJ" award on Saturday night.
I've only got about 4 hours riding time to get to the rally.
Be good till then.
Macca.
'92 FJ1200
'80 Suzuki GSX 750ET Shirley (Gone to god )
'04 Yamaha XVS1100A Tom (Sold)