News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Honest opinions on my fender stripes.

Started by MACHV, February 14, 2020, 08:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHV

I thought the extra color on the front fender would be a definite keeper. However, the longer I look at it, the more on the fence I am. Fortunately it's all vinyl and comes off via heat gun and fingernail. Maybe I just have to get it outside in the sun to appreciate it, but it's February in northern Illinois. Just wondering what the community thinks.
"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

X-Ray

Well, we all like to individually personalise our bikes, and I actually like the look of the extra pinstriping. Not over the top and suits it well.  :good2:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

Tuned forks

Since you asked, I think there is continuity to your color palette.  The main bodywork uses all of the same colors.  I also like the two tone front fender.  However, since you asked, I would suggest removing the red stripe that goes across the leading edge of the fender.  Just keep the two that are front to back.  If you are still on the fence, try using red tape that is narrower.  I would think 1/8" would look nice and perhaps subtle.

Joe
1990 FJ1200-the reacher
1990 FZR 1000-crotch rocket

Pat Conlon

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJ1200W

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

red

Quote from: Tuned forks on February 14, 2020, 09:05:32 AMSince you asked, I think there is continuity to your color palette.  The main bodywork uses all of the same colors.  I also like the two tone front fender.  However, since you asked, I would suggest removing the red stripe that goes across the leading edge of the fender.  Just keep the two that are front to back.  If you are still on the fence, try using red tape that is narrower.  I would think 1/8" would look nice and perhaps subtle.
Joe
MachV,
You are a brave guy, asking this mob for opinions on style.   :biggrin:    I agree with Tuned Forks about the stripe across the front.  If it conceals chipped paint or other blemishes, I'd touch up that stuff, but not use a red stripe there.  A white strip there might do the job, if needed.  The long red stripes are very good, by me.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

MACHV

Again, this is a case of working with what I had. The red is already pre-cut that width. I considered tapering back to front and still may. Although, my sausage fingers can handle small or intricate, but not often both when it comes to cutting a thin piece of tape thinner
"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

Mike 86 in San Dimas

HMMMMMMMM. I think I like it. I thought the same thing about the front edge stripe. If really brave, match the rear fender

Millietant

I'm on the fence really, I like the white with the red stripes at the sides, but the small stripe across the front of the fender makes me think of "Harley" or "Indian" fenders (if you know what I mean).

Other than that...........how do you get your bike to be so shiny MachV, the gloss on the paintwork looks so deep on the photo's, it looks almost wet....amazing !!!!!!
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

MACHV

Quote from: Millietant on February 14, 2020, 09:15:56 PM
I'm on the fence really, I like the white with the red stripes at the sides, but the small stripe across the front of the fender makes me think of "Harley" or "Indian" fenders (if you know what I mean).

Other than that...........how do you get your bike to be so shiny MachV, the gloss on the paintwork looks so deep on the photo's, it looks almost wet....amazing !!!!!!
I have plenty of material to do a second draft on the fender and probably will eventually. Just started refurbing a house though so will see. As far as the shine? McQuires cleaner wax and/or carnuba. That said, I do not ride this thing anywhere near as much as I wish.

MACHV

Cleaned it up a bit. Thinned and slightly tapered the red and curved around the front.

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

red

Keep yer heads down, soldiers,
we have snipers in the area!
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

MACHV

Ha. My better half already talked me out of any kind of wheel stripes. And... wrong kind of bike or rider for tassels.

ZOA NOM

Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600