News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Honest opinions on my fender stripes.

Started by MACHV, February 14, 2020, 08:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie-brm

I was struggling with this on my PC for over half an hour, trying to put my finger on what was bugging me.
A few issues stuck out:
The new stripes are on a horizontal surface. Every other factory location is a vertical surface.
The factory stripes all sweep up from the leading edge, take a flatter path and taper wider towards the back.
They end in a wrap around the back edge of each panel.

The new stripes arc in the opposite direction to the rest of the markings,
So they are contrary to the rest of the style. In my eye, they fight the factory theme.

I was photoshopping in a few trials of copying the fairing stripe on to the vertical side of the fender but hit a few snags. It did look better without the leading edge tape.
The stripe still always has to arc down, not sweep up. The way the top of the FJ fender curves over into the sides and then goes those curves around the fork just messes up having a nice finish to the red.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

MACHV

That is why I didn't want to paint it. I wanted it reversible inside if 5 minutes. Been looking at before/after pics. I like it but in my heart of hearts, it probably isn't a permanent change. I have other plans for the material on hand anyway.
"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

giantkiller

I think if you cut it off the front of the fender. To a point on either side. And leave the stripe where it is. But flare it out to the ridge of the fender. (The shiny part of this picture) it would look great.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

Millietant

I can see where Charlie and Dan are going with this and I agree - having the leading edge transverse bit removed and the tape going from a point at the front of the fender then tapering out to a wider stripe at the fork brace would follow the "factory" theme and would probably remove my reservations. Then it might finish off an already lovely looking bike !
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

FJ Flyer

I agree that the horizontal stripe should go.  I'm also thinking a thinner white stripe might take the weight of the curve off the look.
Chris P.
'16 FJR1300ES
'87 FJ1200
'76 DT250

Wear your gear.

MACHV

Quote from: FJ Flyer on February 19, 2020, 06:43:03 AM
I agree that the horizontal stripe should go.  I'm also thinking a thinner white stripe might take the weight of the curve off the look.

Thinner white is not a bad idea. But I do have to keep something on the leading edge of the white to help hold it down, since I felt the adhesive might not stand up to high speed, rain, etc. I tried white pinstripe, but it stood out compared to the pearl, believe it or not. So red 3M stripe has far superior adhesion and acts as an anchor for the edges of the pearl wrap. I can play with it over time but ultimately the choice will be between stripes vs no stripes at all.
"I can assure you with no ego, that this is my finest sword. If on your journey, you should encounter God, God will be cut"

Millietant

Quote from: MACHV on February 20, 2020, 08:24:05 AM

Thinner white is not a bad idea. But I do have to keep something on the leading edge of the white to help hold it down, since I felt the adhesive might not stand up to high speed, rain, etc. I tried white pinstripe, but it stood out compared to the pearl, believe it or not. So red 3M stripe has far superior adhesion and acts as an anchor for the edges of the pearl wrap. I can play with it over time but ultimately the choice will be between stripes vs no stripes at all.

Would you not take the pearl wrap over the front of the fender and wrap it about 1/2" under the fender ?
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

MACHV

Quote from: Millietant on February 20, 2020, 09:18:16 AM
Quote from: MACHV on February 20, 2020, 08:24:05 AM

Would you not take the pearl wrap over the front of the fender and wrap it about 1/2" under the fender ?

I don't feel like that would hold up to flinging debris and water under there.

giantkiller

Why don't you just plasty dip the white. And then decide if you like it enough to paint it on.

My Gixxer fender for the inverted forks on my 89 was solid red. I plasty dipped it years ago. And it's only got a few red spots showing. I'm probably the only one that notices.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1