News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

My favorite torque wrench

Started by T Legg, February 15, 2020, 09:56:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Legg

Ive heard a lot of criticism about the click style torque wrenches. I bought this torque wrench for ten dollars at Jim Denio's farmers market in Roseville California fourty five years ago. It's the best torque wrench I've ever used.
T Legg

ZOA NOM

Very nice... Can I borrow that for my rod bolts, I need to get about 12 thou of stretch...
Rick

Current:
2010 Honda VFR1200 DCT (Full Auto!)
1993 FJ/GSXR 1200 (-ABS)
1987 Porsche 911 Carrera (Race)
1988 Porsche Carrera (Street)
Previous:
1993 FJ1200 (FIREBALL)
1993 FJ1200ABS (RIP my collar bone)
1986 FZ750
1984 FJ600
1982 Seca

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

T Legg

I think it was last calibrated in 1942 when it was made. probably twenty five years before you were born Mark. I don't think there is much to go out of calibration.The dial spins so it can be zeroed out every time. Your welcome to borrow it Rick,I think every notch after twenty five foot pounds equals a thousandth of an inch stretch.
T Legg

red

Quote from: T Legg on February 15, 2020, 09:56:44 AMIve heard a lot of criticism about the click style torque wrenches. I bought this torque wrench for ten dollars at Jim Denio's farmers market in Roseville California fourty five years ago. It's the best torque wrench I've ever used.
T Legg,

"Calibration" on a torque wrench like that would be in the form of a conversion chart (table), stating what the actual torque is, when the gauge reads 20. 40, 60, 80 fl./lbs. et c.  If the calibration chart says that each torque reading on the gauge is true, then you can set the chart aside.  After forty-five years, I'd be surprised if the chart was not needed, though.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.