News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Time to give up biking?

Started by ELIMINATOR, March 21, 2020, 03:41:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomJK

Hi
I am 61, had many crashes, most of them not too bad, a few bad ones, twice complicated open fractures in the same leg, once in 1979 and in 2011, broke my back in 1981...after each crash I thought time to stop, but I didn't, I think I will stop when I get scared and feel unsure, but for now I enjoy it too much...... :Facepalm:
Cheers, enjoy yourselves while you still can, that is my motto..
Tom.
Past bikes : BMWR90-S,BMW R100CS, Ducati 900SD, Kawasaki GPZ600,Yamaha FJ1200,Kawasaki ZZR 1100 (4x),Kawasaki ZZR1200, Honda CBR1100XXX,Yamaha Thunderace, Kawasaki ZX10R (3X),
Aprillia Falco,Honda CBR600F4I, bikes today : Kawasaki ZX10R (C1, the best!),Yamaha FJ1200, soon to come Kawasaki Z900.....

FJ1200W

I started street riding when I turned 16 and my 1st street bike was a 1972 Kawasaki H1B 500cc triple.

I wrecked it in the high school parking lot drag racing a RD350. Hit some kid broadside who was doing wheelies in-between parked cars.

Owned many motorcycles after, had more than a few crashes and road rash, and learned some valuable lessons.

Now, I don't ride drunk or under the influence. I pay a lot more attention than I used too.

Like I told my wife and kids when I taught them to ride, pretend every car will pull in front of you or into you. Keep alert at all times, at stops, watch your mirrors and be ready to react.

Most importantly - have fun.

The only person who knows if it is time to stop riding is you yourself.

I quit when I started having kids, because at that point in my life, my family came 1st.

These days, I ride a lot slower on the street, but there are times when I just don't. Those times are the exception not the rule.

To each their own.
Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

ELIMINATOR

Thank you for the replies, chilled out about it now. Decided to put the bike riding on hold for a while. This isn't the time to go to hospital, when its full of Covoid 19 patients!
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3

GS Jockey

Well, I've followed your posts, both here and over on UKGSers for ten years or so now. Sorry to hear about your incident. I thought about giving up biking last year when I lost my right arm to Cancer. But with help from Randy I managed to get my FJ converted to 'Left-Hand drive', and got back on the road in September, just six months after my op.

I've had to modify my attitude a bit, less of the Hooning, and I'm not happy with the weight of the FJ when I'm pushing it about, a bit of a lump with just one arm. Maybe it will be a bit easier when I eventually get my prosthetic.

As with all of us at the moment I'm off the road due to the 'lockdown', but hoping to get back out there when this mess has cleared up. I'm currently having my F650GS Dakar converted, just in case I decide the FJ has to go.

I hope to keep riding until the Cancer stops me (the op didn't stop it spreading), but that's my decision, you have to make your own. But I will say that I'm 65, so you're nowhere near too old for riding a bike. :good2:

I do hope you'll carry on, but what ever your decision, all the best for the future.

Dave. (Dragon Master on UKGSers)
Unfortunately I am no longer young enough to know everything...

moparman70

My bike is part of my retirement package -- so I guess I am out of luck as far as quitting.   In some ways I feel safer on the bike as I am in total control of where I want to be on the road due to the mobility if offers.  Like many I did stop during my kid raising years and I believe I said I would sell the FJ at the time.   I didn't really give up riding just found I didn't have the time and interest as the focus was more on the kids.   I can remember firing up the FJ after about 6 months and heading  out on a long ride to Reno from Socal.   NO issues with the bike or even riding after such a long period of time.   It went that way for about 5-6 years just riding very occasionally then more and more till I was back to my normal.

I still have my first FJ and another I bought as well -- and now a FJR that I hope to bring along with me on my retirement adventures.

If you enjoy riding -- keep on riding.   If the bike is paid for == keep it until you really think you won't ride anymore and even then it might be worth keeping if not just to look at --- I have always thought the FJ looks as good standing still as it does at speed.