News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Down for maintenance.

Started by Ted Schefelbein, April 02, 2020, 11:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Rider

Stainless steel screws is fine ,but not when screwed into aluminium they will seize. so make sure you use copperpaste on them so you dont strip
the treads next time you try to unscrew them

Bill_Rockoff

I have had good luck with allen-key screws. They are still more fragile than I'd like, but the allen key works a lot better than a Phillips-head screwdriver works in JIS screws.
Reg Pridmore yelled at me once

RPM - Robert

RPM stocks both the original equipment JIS screws along with a stainless steel version with an allen head.

OEM Master Cylinder Screw

Allen Head Brake Reservoir Cap Screw

Also in stock regarding the master cylinder lids are the rubber diaphragm seals for both brake and clutch

84-93 Brake Reservoir Diaphragm
86-93 Clutch Reservoir Diaphragm

Ted Schefelbein

I think you are correct, M3.  But, the holes are countersunk in the aluminum cover, creating a weak spot. I didn't want to run an Allen and a washer. Figured I was better off with a profile on the screw that matched the cover.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I Never-Seize or synthetic grease everything. I'm the guy who will be working on it next time.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

fj1289

Ted - the allens Robert linked to are countersunk screws - not the "traditional" allen head bolts like you'd use on the engine covers

Ted Schefelbein

Quote from: fj1289 on April 24, 2020, 08:59:46 PM
Ted - the allens Robert linked to are countersunk screws - not the "traditional" allen head bolts like you'd use on the engine covers

Yea, you are right. But, when someone says "Allen screw" I think of something totally different.

True story-Robert sent me an email saying he was out of the sender gasket, and didn't know when he would get more. Ordered one from Partzilla, which, they sent and the mailman promptly lost. After the refund email came, Robert sent me one saying they were back in stock-the day after I ordered something else from him.

Sucks to be me, some days. It isn't like I have a parts ordering skill set, not yet, anyway. I usually figure out I need something, have a swig of beer, and then sit down at the computer and order it. Should really get my shit in one bag someday and make a complete list.

The hardware store guy will vouch for me. I'm a nuisance, but the check always clears.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

Millietant

It happens to all of us old guys Ted.........I know I'm pretty famous at our local engineering supplies shop, as the guy who comes in and buys stainless Allen bolts of all types (cap head, button head, flanged, countersunk, M3 - M12, 12mm - 100mm) in ones and two's......usually spending 20p (£0.20) each visit, 3 times a week  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

But, they humour me because they're old guys too and they love my bikes  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Ted Schefelbein

Dean,
Thanks for the reassurance. If I was uncomfortable about my age, I'd be worried, but, I've actually always been this way, might have been WORSE when I was younger.

You all have a photo like this, I'm sure. Here's mine:

A red letter day. Valve cover back on. Valves adjusted, gasket and grommets replaced, actually a bunch of rubber parts have been replaced. Some aftermarket wiring bug a boos sorted and fixed, one of those (brake lights) left to sort. Dead relays everywhere, most have been replaced. I'm going to service the speedometer head and the reserve fuel contacts, as noted by others. New stuff like a petcock, rebuilt stuff like the clutch slave. After I flushed the brakes, I get the feeling those blue dot brakes are a big improvement over stock, there is a lot of positive feel in the levers.
Waiting on a Morgan Carbtune tool, and for the State to open, so I can get a plate.
Please don't feel I am being critical of what former owners did or didn't do to the bike. I'm not. I have my own way of doing things, and like everything sorted just so. One thing I changed was the way some wires were routed, put them in a cooler spot, and the wire that went to the battery for the relays just had a crimp connector, with the connector exposed. I shrink tubed that, as it is an exposed direct route to everything the battery has to give to a dead short if something grounded touches it. No sense tickling 30 year old electronic components with a dead accidental short if you can avoid it. It is fused, of course, but still something I try to avoid at all costs.
Hope you guys are getting your prep and maintenance done in the lockdown. Today is also my 15th wedding anniversary, a low key affair, due to the conditions, but, my bride said I should spend some time in the shop.
I married the right girl.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

Ted Schefelbein

Today, I finished with some wiring for the taillights, which was a customization by a former owner, eliminating the turn signals stalks, and integrating the running lamps, turn signals and brake light into the brake light lense.
This modification, has not aged well. The harness was patched with electrical wire, after it was butchered. I'm not a fan, but, with some solder, shrink tubing, new bulbs, dielectric grease, and fresher electrical tape, it is functional at this point.
I got it together and took a ride. There is a carb sync, new plugs, a compression test, and some other minor things ( rear view mirrors), but, 98% of the work is done. The bike runs very well from about 2K RPM up, pulls harder then I remember, but, this one is piped and jetted. My 1991 was not. I'm not crazy about the air pods, either, but there isn't room for much else under there. It seems a bit cold blooded, more fiddling with the choke, for a bit longer than I remember happening on the stock 1991. The only thing not working is the clock. It seems to come and go.
It is a good looking and stable bike, excellent brakes and power. Most of the rattles from broken spots on the cowl are gone, and the paint is in exceptional condition. A very, very nice 31 year old bike.
Took Momma for a ride, there is just something about a 115lb. brunette from Colombia on the back of a sport bike, but, she is not much of a rider. My kid got a quick ride, too.
This should be interesting.

Thanks for your help,

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

JPaganel

Nifty.

There seems to be enough area people, we should hang out sometime.
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

Ted Schefelbein

I would whole heartedly agree with that. As of yet, there is no plate or title, since the state is shut down until the 18th.
Do you happen to remember 1st Thursday, the monthly meeting of the English motorcycle club? It was at Dalanos Pizza, back in the day. Good times.
Wonder where they meet now?

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

Ted Schefelbein

Out for a ride:

The license bureau is open for limited business, and I dropped my paperwork off thinking I'd hear from them in a few weeks. They called in an hour, so, I put insurance on the bike, and took a cool spin.

Cool refers to the 54 degree temps. Not me.

If you helped with the project, with suggestions, parts, or advice, Many Thanks.

Ted

1989 FJ 1200

Pat Conlon

That's a unique beautiful FJ!  :good:
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

fj1289

Ted Schefelbein

I actually emailed and then called Gary Solera, of Houston, TX, who is the gentleman responsible for the customization and tasteful modifications to this bike. He is a HELL of a gentleman, and, a brother from a different mother. We talked for most of two hours. Gary owns 12 bikes.
He is responsible for the unique look of this old bike. "Motogriz" , Justin, to me, was responsible for taking good care of Gary's former bike. The modifications date to about 2000-2001, and have held up very well.
I did a quick 50 miles on it today. My skill set needs to be worked up to where I left off, 13 riding seasons past.
I'm saving to do a Keith Code school for my 60th birthday. And, looking forward to some good riding, and great friendships with guys I have met right here.

I can't wait.

Best regards,
Ted

1989 FJ 1200