News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Front upper fairing

Started by Chrisdzu, February 05, 2022, 03:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisdzu

I have a 1985 fj1100. Is there a way to put a fj1200 upper fairing on an fj1100. I know the mirror location is on the upper for a 1200. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
ChristopherD

fj1289

Is there a way?  Yes - a little light welding might be required?

Is it a direct bolt on - maybe?  If so go buy a lottery ticket while your luck is good!

I have an 84 frame and 89 and 90 frames.  They all have the same two bolt mount tab on the perimeter frame going around the steering stem.   The 84 fairing sub frame bolts there and tp points on both sides of the frame.  The 89/90 bolts to two tabs each on the "down tubes" from the frame.  So the 89/90 fairing subframe would need to have tabs welded on the 84/85 frame.  

Looking at parts fiche diagrams (parts fish.com) the drawing for 86/87 frame looks like it has the same mounting points as the 84/85, BUT the fairing subframe looks like the mounting bolt is vertical vice horizontal on the 84/85?  A lot of time parts fiche drawings can be helpful, BUT they are not always completely accurate.  So, you might need to modify the subframe or the mounting points on the frame.  

I'd look for an 86/87 fairing subframe on eBay and see what it would take to adapt it.  

Good luck!

Chris

Just looked on eBay - 86 fairing subframe (or "stay" if you prefer) does mount differently than the 84/85.

So, it will require a bit of "light and easy" fabrication work - fab brackets and weld into place.